BMW N54 Engine - best oil at the present?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: oilnub
I can get Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 but it's Group 3 nothing special.

Nothing special? The new GTL base stocks are actually pretty good. It has Noack of 7.1%, according to this report:

http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/12199-shell-helix-ultra-5w-40-svezhee/

That actually looks very good especially considering the price. I'm not sure it will hold up for me but if I'm forced to do something extreme like 5K kms OCI's it could be something to keep up my sleeve.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
You do not want to run Amsoil SS 5W30 -- HTHS is 3.1 instead of 3.5 or greater. If you are considering Amsoil, look at their Euro offerings.

While I think the Pennzoil/Shell Euro 5W40, Castrol 0W30 or 0W40, or Mobil 1 0W40 would be fine, you could consider Red Line 5W30, 5W40, or 10W40. Most all of their oils have low NOACK and are durable under high temperatures.

oilnub said:
440Magnum said:
I think oil temps below 100C (212F)are more damaging these days than oil temps over 110-115C, given how stable modern oils are. I wouldn't worry at all about those oil temperatures at cruise- the benefits of keeping volatiles baked out of the oil far, FAR outweigh any potential oxidation concerns (which, for today's better oils, aren't really a concern until over 300F.

Leave it alone!

From the 335i thread, they reported the oils you mention didn't fare too well at all. Given that I am concerned about the oils I'll do a short stint on one of these oils we take as 'top tier' consumer oils then do a UOA. Hopefully my engine is not as bad as the 335i engines, although I fear it may be.

I do also plan to swap out the thermostat so as to decrease the cruise/normal oil temp to ~93*c from ~115*c to reduce the heat stress that was purported to contribute to the rapid breakdown in the 335i engines. I do realise not taking oil over 100*c will increase moisture content, and increase the higher boiling point volatiles in the oil, but at the same time I'd suggest volatiles with boiling points over 100*c aren't all that volatile. I've not had issues with oil before with cruise temps ~85-95*c so I'm happy to try it and see.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Castrol 0W40 or M1 0W40. I know you do not need 0 oils, but still HTHS and NOACK of these oils is really good.

Indeed typically they are good, I've used m1 0w-40 in most of my previous vehicles but again, these don't seem to fair well in the N54. I'll use one of course, I have little choice in the matter, but will do a UOA shortly thereafter.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Use BMW 5W-30 or M1 0W-40; either will work fine. Get a UOA at 2,000 and see what is going on.

Yes this or a similar oil will be my plan forward with a UOA to be done at low km after the change.

OP: Don't over think it. Of course it's your vehicle but the reality is that within the US the N54 was going 20,000 KM's between oil changes without a problem.

I still see these cars on the road today.

One last thing, don't make the mistake of relying on a single pass UOA. Especially on a vehicle that has less than 83K km on it.

All very valid points guys thanks for your input. I know the thread I was referencing is super old but I couldn't find anything more current so I had to ask the question.

I'll leave the oil temp alone for now, use M10w 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40, run it for a couple thousand km and do a UOA. Got to find a place that even does oil analysis, it's not commonly done here at all. Wish me luck haha.

All very valid points guys thanks for your input. I know the thread I was referencing is super old but I couldn't find anything more current so I had to ask the question.

I'll leave the oil temp alone for now, use M10w 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40, run it for a couple thousand km and do a UOA. Got to find a place that even does oil analysis, it's not commonly done here at all. Wish me luck haha.

I would not sweat about those two oils. Just change them every 7,500 or 10,000km.

Its weird, 0w-40 Castrol seems a little old school now, no molybdenum at all? That said it's $75 vs $99 for M1 0w-40 for a 5L bottle... Hard call!

Last edited:
Its weird, 0w-40 Castrol seems a little old school now, no molybdenum at all? That said it's $75 vs $99 for M1 0w-40 for a 5L bottle... Hard call!

I used both, prefer Castrol 0W40. But, you will not make mistake with any.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
IMO the M1 is one of the most certified and approved oils on the planet. Recommended by many many reputable mfgrs...

Same specs as Castrol 0W40.

does the car consumed oil? ;
find 400F oil test thread in this forum - precisely for a bmw application, hot turbo engine, especially a physical turbine location, hot thermostat, and some eco tweaks that do not do well for oil at all ...

upd:
"Are these Russians oil tests relevant?" - look at this as well.

Last edited:

Those are two very good 0W-40 oils.

Don't forget you also have two very good, full synthetic, 5W-40 oils. With all the good specs: A3/B4, BMW LL01, MB 229.5, etc
They are Shell Helix Ultra and Penrite HPR 5

The GTL Ultra should cost the least.

You are running such short OCI, you could run each oil above ( twice in a row) and start getting UOA data. I think twice gives you a better feel for an oil. Then tell us which one stands out as best.

This will cost alot in UOA, but you seem very focused on finding the best oil for your car. Which is fine.

I would probably use any of the above four, because BMW say they are OK. I would trust all the development work done by BMW.

I've been using X-cess in one of mine for some time now and am very pleased with it. It has all the certs as well including BMW LL, MB 229.5 IIRC. One bonus, here at least, it's less expensive than Redline. X-max and 300V, on the other hand, are pricier probably due to higher ester content. X-cess is likely blended down further with PAO/other making it more affordable.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
I've been using X-cess in one of mine for some time now and am very pleased with it. It has all the certs as well including BMW LL, MB 229.5 IIRC. One bonus, here at least, it's less expensive than Redline. X-max and 300V, on the other hand, are pricier probably due to higher ester content. X-cess is likely blended down further with PAO/other making it more affordable.

Yeah, I think Motul X-cess is a good quality oil at a reasonable prise. I have used it for many years and've always been very content with it. AFAIK X-cess contains some amount of esters (certainly less than in 300V series), but nevertheless it's a full synthetic oil and quite a good one. As you said it carries many important manufacturer's approvals as BMW LL-01, Porsche A40, MB 229,5/226,5 at a reasonable prise. I know some people even in the Porsche world that use it for years with excellent results.

Originally Posted By: DrAdmin
does the car consumed oil? ;
find 400F oil test thread in this forum - precisely for a bmw application, hot turbo engine, especially a physical turbine location, hot thermostat, and some eco tweaks that do not do well for oil at all ...

upd:
"Are these Russians oil tests relevant?" - look at this as well.

I'm not sure baking the oil at 400F tells me much, but this engine sits around 110-115*C cruise and I have not seen it over 120*C driving it moderately hard in the hills/canyons. It shouldn't break down a good synthetic but I will run the short OCI and UOA and see what happens!

Originally Posted By: SR5

Those are two very good 0W-40 oils.

Don't forget you also have two very good, full synthetic, 5W-40 oils. With all the good specs: A3/B4, BMW LL01, MB 229.5, etc
They are Shell Helix Ultra and Penrite HPR 5

The GTL Ultra should cost the least.

You are running such short OCI, you could run each oil above ( twice in a row) and start getting UOA data. I think twice gives you a better feel for an oil. Then tell us which one stands out as best.

This will cost alot in UOA, but you seem very focused on finding the best oil for your car. Which is fine.

I would probably use any of the above four, because BMW say they are OK. I would trust all the development work done by BMW.

Yes that's true, the Shell Helix Ultra (PP Ultra) is the cheapest at $55/5L. The Castrol 0w40 is $75/5L and the M1 0w40 $100/5L.

Originally Posted By: Thebimmerfan
If you have access to Motul products Motul X-cess 5W-40 will do just fine, these engines love it.

I can get this, around $80/5L so it's in the same ballpark as the castrol and seems to be a decent Grp3 with maybe some IV in it. Haven't looked into it much yet but thanks for the suggestion. I like Motul's high end stuff but never looked at their 'affordable' range.

If you have access to Motul products Motul X-cess 5W-40 will do just fine, these engines love it.

I can get this, around $80/5L so it's in the same ballpark as the castrol and seems to be a decent Grp3 with maybe some IV in it. Haven't looked into it much yet but thanks for the suggestion. I like Motul's high end stuff but never looked at their 'affordable' range.

Judging by the prise I also think Motul 8100 X-cess must be a quality group 3 with some PAO and some esters, nevertheless 8100 is not Motul's top notch serie I think it's a decent street oil for a stock, street driven engine, just my opinion. If you want a top end oil Motul 300V Power 5W-40 or 300V Trophy 0W-40 would be perfect, but 300V serie is a more race/track dedicated line. Looking for the best one can't go wrong with Red Line either - depends on application and budget also.

Last edited:

I do also plan to swap out the thermostat so as to decrease the cruise/normal oil temp to ~93*c from ~115*c ....

Your engine has a BMW specific thermostat and housing. Not sure if what you want is possible without doing something custom. At any rate, the vehicle will throw a check engine light with the cooler thermostat. Guaranteed. The ECU recognizes a short trip versus a "permanently" too low a coolant temperature.

Scott

Judging by the prise I also think Motul 8100 X-cess must be a quality group 3 with some PAO and some esters, nevertheless 8100 is not Motul's top notch serie I think it's a decent street oil for a stock, street driven engine, just my opinion. If you want a top end oil Motul 300V Power 5W-40 or 300V Trophy 0W-40 would be perfect, but 300V serie is a more race/track dedicated line. Looking for the best one can't go wrong with Red Line either - depends on application and budget also.

Be very careful using racing oils for the street. They don't have the additives for extended use.

Originally Posted By: dennishiip

Be very careful using racing oils for the street. They don't have the additives for extended use.

Exactly what I've said, race oils have their place (in race dedicated race-prepared engines), Motul's 8100 serie is a street oil good enough for many street driven stock cars.
By the way I don't do extended OCIs.

Three points to make here:

1. Any Motul oil listed as "fully synthetic" has PAO and esters as the main, and perhaps only,components. Group III is not classed as full synthetic in Europe. Mix-downs with Group III (or lower?) must be called technosynthese. 8100 series oils are full synthetic. 6100 for instance is technosynthese.

2. Motul's non-300V's are straight street oils not race oils.

3. Motul USA has told me directly that the 300V "race" oils have a "full 12% street add package" and is fully useable as a street oil.

If any of that is wrong I know someone here will point it out.

DeepFriar,

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Group III is not classed as full synthetic in Europe.

This is only valid for Germany. Other countries in Europe (49 other countries) are calling group 3 oils fully synthetic as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back