Blown Amsoil engine; they stepped up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting, looks like a newbie (2 post ringer?) recently joined the linked discussion, also propogating a 'sludge theory', and pointing to other filters and OCI's the OP could-ah, would-ah, or should-ah used. Moot points IMO, if the the OP followed Amsoils and apparently the dealer's recommendation for said TSB oil filter and OCI. Also the newbie, Javier, seems very knowledgeable regarding Amsoil products.
56.gif

Another interesting recent development in the linked thread, is another poster is now lined up to recieve payment resulting from the use of said TSB oil filter. water73 has a newer 06 Tacoma with 68k and experienced similar oil starvation. Should be interesting to watch for further developments.

I see this as the tip of the iceberg, more problems to follow. These extended drains are risky for the average person. Granted most Bitog members would probably do a UOA to be sure, or would see postings on this site giving them a heads up to possible problems. Not every Amsoil user is a Bitog member or oil savvy, and those are the guys that could end up getting burnt! More to follow on this topic of blown engines I'm sure.

Ah yes, makes sense now, ranchopower/Javier on the linked thread is an Amsoil dealer that has posted here before. Thought I recognized the name. He's labeled the 4.0L as a sludge engine, even though AFAIK it's never been identified as such in any of the articles listing such engines.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Pablo

On the other hand I have never been impressed with the folks at WalMart, AAP, NAPA, etc selling oil.

True but they aren't pushing extended drain intervals either.

Unless they are selling M1 or Castrol.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I see this as the tip of the iceberg, more problems to follow. These extended drains are risky for the average person. Granted most Bitog members would probably do a UOA to be sure, or would see postings on this site giving them a heads up to possible problems. Not every Amsoil user is a Bitog member or oil savvy, and those are the guys that could end up getting burnt! More to follow on this topic of blown engines I'm sure.

I'm sure you are hoping!! Coulda, woulda, shoulda alright.

Amsoil has been doing extended drains for how many years?

How many engines have they replaced? A couple.

Dude - the filter is pulled. It's odd that you are so sure. I'm sure there will be one or two more, but you know - extended OCI's will continue.

Hoping, hardly. Speculating yes. Try finding someone in WM to help with the purchase of anything, so no worries about them pushing extended drains. I'll have to ask in AAP how they feel about extended drain oils, I have no clue what they'd say. It should be interesting at any rate.

It is the one size fits all mentality that's the problem. Funny how a filter that holds close to a qt [PL30001], vs one that holds a few ounces of oil can have the same life expectancy, 1 year or x amount of miles. Common sense would dictate otherwise I'd think, not the case here.

You are correct extended OCIs will and should continue, it is sad that some people will find out the hard way that they are not for everyone. I don't think Amsoil will be training the masses of their sales force to educate customers about it either. The training to hype, defend, and push product will remain. After all that might cost sales in the extended drain arena. JMO

It's a shame the filter didn't work, but that's good that they bit the bullet and ponied up the cash. Works well for them from a publicity standpoint and it's a lot cheaper than the lawsuit that would have resulted from denying the claim. The guy got a new engine. Everybody wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back