BITOG vs. Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
offtopic.gif

Quote:

kd5byb - Off-topic, but what kind of Lancer do you own? Evolution? ES? OZ-Rally? Ralliart?

It's an '02 OZ Rally - it's my wife's car. We like it, 75k trouble free miles, good gas mileage, handles well, a little small now that we have a 2 year old son. No anti-lock, though, which I see as a big shortfall. It's a nice little car, albeit maybe nothing special. It's a parking-lot fender-bender magnet, it's been hit four times in parking lots. We bought it primarily becuase Mitsu was offering 0 down, 0 payments for a year, 0 interest in '01/'02 and needed a car...

Back on topic, about 60,000 of those miles have been on Mobil 1. No noise, no complaints, just got away from M1 as the price went high and I could get SuperTech Syn cheaper. For a 4k/5k OCI, the SuperTech (with half a bottle of SLOB) is just as good as M1 in my opinion.

thanks,
ben
patriot.gif

Quote:

I see threads about mobil 1 noise all the time here. There is one currently running. Also currently there is a thread about Amsoil's base oil being made by Mobil, which would look good for Mobil 1 , yet this thread was quickly locked...I believe Mobil 1 is getting unfair treatment on BITOG....The fact is that Mobil 1 makes the best PAO base stocks and that is why Amsoil buys from them. Amsoil eges out Mobil 1 min specs because of its superior add packages. Yet Mobil 1 out specs all other oils on the retail shelves... Also if there was any truth to the noise reports, where are the noise reports of the 5w-20 oils... Me and my sister both use Mobil 1 5w-30 and do not have a noise issue, I think these noises are in peoples heads. Power of suggestion... BITOGS' bias against Mobil 1 has gone to far........

yawn.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Why can't everyone here just face facts- Mobil 1 causes noise and high iron counts, Pennzoil and Quaker State cause sludge buildup, Castrol changes their formulations more than most people change their underpants, and Valvoline uses terrible base oils. There, I said it.

hide.gif
coffee.gif
wink.gif

Counter with M1 in various grades (lets say 0W-40) are attributed with noise by a lot of people. Other grades seem to be less affected. 0W-40 rattled my 3vze 4Runner like I could not beleive...my ZD30 Navara was as silent as the diesel could be, returning stellar economy, but at $115 per oil change, I switched.

UOA shows quite a bit of iron compared to competitors (in general), and debate has been raging for years whether it is true wear, or exposed surfaces dissolving (see redline comment below)

The vast majority of posts for Pennzoil and Quaker State have been fighting the sludge myth (or 30 year old fact, one or the other).

Castrol has been a mixed bag witht he Green/Gold debate, which IMHO is a legitimate search for the truth. Members paid a load of their hard earned dough for an analysis of something different, just to find out.

After lots of looking, I ended up running Castrol (after swearing never to do so again), and like it when Frank's and Molakule's adds are put in it...still cheaper than M1 0W-40, and I feel like I have something to do with the brew.

Valvoline, the harshest criticism has been that they spend an inordinate amount of work in one of the best equipped oil labs around to produce the cheapest oil that meets the API specs. There have been lost of pro Valvoline comments, and some good reports.

You missed the "fact" that "Redline drags your bearings into the drain-pan" versus the "fact" that it creates negative wear.

I don't agree with your view of apparent "truths".

I will say that analytic discussions have been lacking of late, with many statements presented as truth.

My tongue was firmly implanted in my cheek when I made the above statement. My apologies if you or anyone else took it differently. I, in fact, use Valvoline quite a bit.

Castrol TWS 10W-60 ftw
smile.gif

No idea really, I just know that stuff is sticky as ----, and takes ALOT to get it off your hands. After working on various BMW's that utilize it, I'm a fan. Just no idea how it compares to anything else in the $8-$10 a quart range.

Quote:

Castrol TWS 10W-60 ftw
smile.gif

No idea really, I just know that stuff is sticky as ----, and takes ALOT to get it off your hands. After working on various BMW's that utilize it, I'm a fan. Just no idea how it compares to anything else in the $8-$10 a quart range.

What question were you answering?
confused.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Castrol TWS 10W-60 ftw
smile.gif

confused.gif

None. Sorry
frown.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Castrol TWS 10W-60 ftw
smile.gif

confused.gif

None. Sorry
frown.gif

This is interesting info about TWS. I was just wondering why you posted it in this thread.

Quote:
Since several GM engines are factory filled with Mobil 1 .... yes, we do test with it quite a bit. It has no issue with wear. Period. Whatever is causing the oil analysis to show that is beyond me.

From a GM engineer.

Motor oils are like women. Some guys are attracted to various qualities of various brands/types of both. Then you have those that look at a guys choice and wonder what in the heck was he thinking?

I used Mobil 1 for YEARS in my vehicles,never had any oil related issues. In the end,it all depends on what you want to spend YOUR money on for oil,and if your particular vehicle runs well and performs well with an oil,then be happy!

You'll never convince the world that a certain oil is any worse or better then all the rest,period.

Mobil 1 is good oil. I was using M1 in my 06 Si and noticed it was a nice dark brown at OCI. Cleans good.

It did consume in the Si and some other oils don't so I switched. But I could have just top up when it was down and I doubt I would have any wear issues with M1 oil.

mitchcoyote- I agree with you on this. It all started with a BITOGer who analyzed some Mobil 1 oil and determined it contained some Group III. However, similar testing was NOT performed by the same person/lab on a larger sample of M1 for verification, nor on GC or other synthetics to provide a comparison with other motor oils, nor on other grades of M1. Hidden agenda, perhaps?

Also, I posted a thread a while back asking the people who have posted about the "horrible noise" with M1 to post up recordings of their engines with M1 and then with their preferred oil to demonstrate the noise supposedly caused by M1. I asked for people to not respond to the thread unless they were posting a recording or would post one. Guess what? Out of the hoards of people who complain about noise with M1 on this forum, NOT A SINGLE PERSON posted sound clips of what is often referred to as a "horrible noise". Lots of talk, no action.

Seems like the M1-is-noisy/Group III crowd can spout off with the best of 'em, until they are asked to backup their statements- then you can hear a pin drop.

Bottom line is trust the UOA section, not baseless speculation and pseudo-science about M1 being Group III and causing noise from an obviously biased subgroup of BITOGers.

I ask people to get out there digital recorders....start up their cars....record the motor....turn off the car....come back in the house...fire up their computer....get out the cables required to connect their digital recorders to the computer....download the recording to the 3rd party software they installed....upload the recording to a safe website that provides hosting....cut and past the URL to the specific recording and post it here for my amusement. I cannot believe nobody wished to do this for you myself!
Yes it must be a conspiracy.....

Quote:
I agree with you on this. It all started with a BITOGer who analyzed some Mobil 1 oil and determined it contained some Group III

No one even stopped to think that the only grade tested was "Extended Performance" 5w-30. The regular Mobil 1 line are all PAO based with 5w-30/10w-30 possibly using some Group III. (Read Mobil of Jp's website) This could be said about any brand of oil. It doesn't make up though for the sketchy UOA results M1 does show often.

Originally Posted By: moving2
mitchcoyote- I agree with you on this. It all started with a BITOGer who analyzed some Mobil 1 oil and determined it contained some Group III. However, similar testing was NOT performed by the same person/lab on a larger sample of M1 for verification, nor on GC or other synthetics to provide a comparison with other motor oils, nor on other grades of M1. Hidden agenda, perhaps?

Also, I posted a thread a while back asking the people who have posted about the "horrible noise" with M1 to post up recordings of their engines with M1 and then with their preferred oil to demonstrate the noise supposedly caused by M1. I asked for people to not respond to the thread unless they were posting a recording or would post one. Guess what? Out of the hoards of people who complain about noise with M1 on this forum, NOT A SINGLE PERSON posted sound clips of what is often referred to as a "horrible noise". Lots of talk, no action.

Seems like the M1-is-noisy/Group III crowd can spout off with the best of 'em, until they are asked to backup their statements- then you can hear a pin drop.

Bottom line is trust the UOA section, not baseless speculation and pseudo-science about M1 being Group III and causing noise from an obviously biased subgroup of BITOGers.

Wow !!....that sums it up as to where this all came from...

...just wondering as there are many posts and with that...I will continue using my M1 5W-30 T&S thank you for the information.

SargeGTO- actually, for those with laptops (a sizable percentage of computer users). It is just:

1. Use laptop to record noise
2. Upload
3. Post link

I could make breathing sound like a complicated task, too, by inserting all the ridiculous, obvious, and simple extra steps you've included. If posting a recording is as complicated to you as you imply in your post, you must not have a lot of experience with computers. Simple as that.

I guess the *millions* of posts including AUDIO AND VIDEO on Youtube must have been done by ROCKET SCIENTISTS. Hahaha!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SargeGTO
I ask people to get out there digital recorders....start up their cars....record the motor....turn off the car....
[ridiculous drivel cut]
Yes it must be a conspiracy.....

This site has gone down hill for a long time!!! Their is a reason you do not see Terry or Molakule on here regularly....All it takes now is for a few people to belive the same thing and we have a new fact's that are not supported by anything close to evidence!!! So I ignore most of this stuff....Even if it were true that M1 does not protect some valvetrain's as wellas some other oils it is usualy an insignificant difference....Usualy it is only UOA being used to make this call and it is not a significant difference in most cases the difference is int he noise floor for the accureacy of the test.think about it if GM and some UOA sites use 150PPM as faiule point then what difference does a a few PPM make? I fmy Toyota with Iron level of 9PPM after 10,500 miles with M1 going only last 500,000 miles when it could have lasted 600,000 miles and had a 6PPM of Iron reading for the same milage with PP? A lot of these fear monger's would have you belive the difference was huge and significant but in most cases it is not significant. I think it has more to do with hateing the big dog at the top of the market then anything else.... I amnot saying that M1 is the best oil only that it is not the anti-[censored] as some would have you belive!!!!

Oh and just for the record even when Terry mentioned not likeing the wear results with M1 he was seeing with customer's I was not on board inspite of my respect fo Terry! I just have never had a bad UOA with M1 ever!

I used to run Mobil 1 0w40 in my car. IIRC I logged over 13,000 miles with it (3 oil change; 5k, 5k, 3k). I now run German Castrol 0w30 (Most of stash is all m05 and newer), and have logged about 5000 miles on it.

It can be stated that Comp Cams Pro Magnum roller rockers are some of the loudest roller rockers around, even at tighter preloads. Mine are quieter than others, but they still aren't as quiet as stock. After making the switch, the valvetrain noise remained the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back