Birds and Bats killed by Wind Energy Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Wind and solar is not established industry and needs a pass.

This "article" is propaganda from a pro big oil/global warming is a joke lobbyist group. Poorly written which makes it look questionable.

The reality, however, is there are a lot of grass roots people shouting these concerns, justified or otherwise, all the time. Then, there's the NIMBY crowd.

They get one.
They don't have to provide governing margin, frequency control, voltage control, power factor correction, grid stability, ride through, black start..."Dirty" energy does the hard yards in keeping the lights actually on.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Ive seen many dead animals along the road.

Fine auto manufacturers!

Did you hear about the class action lawsuit involving VW and asthmatic racoons?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Do you know saving thousands Bald Eagles by banning production/sale/use of DDT worldwide, this ban causes millions African died of malaria disease ?

It is okay to completely ban DDT in America, we can use other methods(expensive) to control mosquito, but for poor countries in Africa DDT was the best they can afford to reducing deaths by malaria causes by mosquito.

If you do some research about DDT, you will find that we pressured UN Health Organization to ban DDT back in the '70, even someone did warn that the effect of the ban will cause millions to die of malaria in Africa. We ignored it because we think that saving 1 bald eagle is worth more than the life of thousands poor African.

Every time I saw someone mention about DDT I felt so sad. Exchanging 1 bald eagle for thousands life is not what a human being should do.

DDT is very nasty stufff with many longterm health effects and with serious bioaccumulation it ends up in the food chain. Mosquitos tend to get resistant to DDT., requiring ever more DDT. On the other hand, continued DDT use may have made humankind less prolific and we might have a smaller world population.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
With a wind turbine spinning 30-60rpm those blade tips must be doing hundreds of MPH. The birds/bats don't even see them coming.

The Green Eco Nazis are so myopic in their rabid egalitarian beliefs many don't see their movement is being used by a few to attack the very freedoms that brought the world out of the dark ages.

So when crushing destructive regulation starts to impact your livelihoods maybe the thought that some big corporation is being inconvenienced will help keep you warm at night. Your guilt and hatreds will be your undoing.

I think I've heard you on the AM radio LOL.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

They get one.
They don't have to provide governing margin, frequency control, voltage control, power factor correction, grid stability, ride through, black start..."Dirty" energy does the hard yards in keeping the lights actually on.

Bingo!
thumbsup2.gif

They get one.

I know you're sharp enough to know that is not completely true. Any generator that is on line is a contributor of frequency and voltage support and grid "stability". Its like your trying to say nothing would be better than having these contributions.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I know you're sharp enough to know that is not completely true. Any generator that is on line is a contributor of frequency and voltage support and grid "stability". Its like your trying to say nothing would be better than having these contributions.

Yes, by inputting energy, they support frequency, but largely being asynchrounous they have no control function whatsoever.

Frequency drops, they keep chugging their KW in, while the dirty stations have to open their control valves and input MW to actively control frequency.

Just like they have to back off when the wind blows or the sun shines...to provide the overall control of the grid.

They get one.

From a contrarian perspective which do you think provides a more "stable" grid, a system comprised of hydroelectric turbines and a few nukes or a system comprised of a few less hydroelectric turbines (or a few less nukes) and instead a disparate but overall several thousand acre sprinkling of wind and solar along with the nukes?

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
With a wind turbine spinning 30-60rpm those blade tips must be doing hundreds of MPH. The birds/bats don't even see them coming.

The Green Eco Nazis are so myopic in their rabid egalitarian beliefs many don't see their movement is being used by a few to attack the very freedoms that brought the world out of the dark ages.

So when crushing destructive regulation starts to impact your livelihoods maybe the thought that some big corporation is being inconvenienced will help keep you warm at night. Your guilt and hatreds will be your undoing.

I think I've heard you on the AM radio LOL.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
[

From a contrarian perspective

So my perspective is contrarian? And yours is fair and balanced?

Hydro is a good one. Your town will probably do the upgrade too, eventually. I know that's stuck in your craw.

[

From a contrarian perspective

So my perspective is contrarian? And yours is fair and balanced?

Hydro is a good one. Your town will probably do the upgrade too, eventually. I know that's stuck in your craw.

No, I'm saying my position is contrarian, particularly to those who champion green energy, which is all the rage nowadays. I was just pointing out an alternative way of looking at this topic of "stability".

There's always a certain segment of people you have to drag kicking and screaming into the future.

The past is boring. The unknown is exciting.

There's always a certain segment of people you have to drag kicking and screaming into the future.

And some people are just stupid right?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

And some people are just stupid right?

If the shoe fits. Wear that sucker.

But that means we need to qualify "future" here
wink.gif
The Canadian nukes are pretty darn tootin' good IMHO, they are a great "future" if more were built. A single ACR-1000 makes 1200MW of power for 30 years before it needs a refurb, that's a long time for reliable, stable power
wink.gif

Same with updating current hydroelectric infrastructure. Yeah, it isn't flashy or in your face like a 747 on a stick or a field of solar panels but it makes a heck of a lot more juice!

The "unknown" can also be bloody freakin' expensive as Ontario has found out. Our dolt of a premier and her equally incompetent predecessor were who spent money that was not needed to be spent on these items here. We even have a non-existent gas turbine plant that cost us 1.2 billion
smirk.gif
This was a case of looking green (and spending it) rather than an actual need. The last coal plant in Ontario was officially retired a few years ago, we can easily ride on our nukes and hydro electric. In fact, we generally have excess power generation that is sold off to you guys. So all these "green" efforts resulted in even more excess, which is sold off at a massive loss to the Ontario taxpayers and that's why our hydro rates are one of, if not the THE highest in North America.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Here's a site near me where they are trying to put in a wind farm. More info on the current state of the art turbines than you could wish for. Birds and bats are not a problem.

http://www.livingstoncounty-il.org/wordp...n-and-exhibits/

Quote:

Your access to this site has been limited

Your access to this service has been temporarily limited. Please try again in a few minutes. (HTTP response code 503)

Reason: Access from your area has been temporarily limited for security reasons

Important note for site admins: If you are the administrator of this website note that your access has been limited because you broke one of the Wordfence firewall rules. The reason you access was limited is: "Access from your area has been temporarily limited for security reasons".

If this is a false positive, meaning that your access to your own site has been limited incorrectly, then you will need to regain access to your site, go to the Wordfence "options" page, go to the section for Firewall Rules and disable the rule that caused you to be blocked. For example, if you were blocked because it was detected that you are a fake Google crawler, then disable the rule that blocks fake google crawlers. Or if you were blocked because you were accessing your site too quickly, then increase the number of accesses allowed per minute.

If you're still having trouble, then simply disable the Wordfence firewall and you will still benefit from the other security features that Wordfence provides.

If you are a site administrator and have been accidentally locked out, please enter your email in the box below and click "Send". If the email address you enter belongs to a known site administrator or someone set to receive Wordfence alerts, we will send you an email to help you regain access. Please read this FAQ entry if this does not work.

21.gif

From a contrarian perspective which do you think provides a more "stable" grid, a system comprised of hydroelectric turbines and a few nukes or a system comprised of a few less hydroelectric turbines (or a few less nukes) and instead a disparate but overall several thousand acre sprinkling of wind and solar along with the nukes?

There's a perfect case point here in Oz...South Australia has enough installed wind, to completely power the state...on a good day. Here's a map of it, and if you look to the right of the map, the two big interconnectors connect to brown coal centralised generation (lower one), and black coal (upper one).

proj_power.gif

Generation in state was a coal fired power station (Northern), that will be closed in 6 months, a gas fired thermal, some OCGTs, and crazilly, reciprocating diesel generators.

The wind cannot self excite, so in spite of the green media talking about the state being fully supplied by wind (on certain days), so in order for the wind to even be useful, it needs the brown and black coal at one end of the line, and something thermal at the other end of the line to provide frequency, voltage, governing margin etc.

Windy days, the price goes negative, as the wind energy being harvested over rides the state's usage, and the the thermal back down (but are still needed for voltage and power factor at the remote end)...that's why Northern is closing, it's not viable against the wind...but the wind doesn't provide the grid, so the state will be less robust.

Non windy days, the state rolls at 10c/KWHr because they are importing the majority...$1.00 per KWHr over the peaks is routine (retail price is under 30c). As I posted the other day, they had diesel reciprocators running for a day...that's nuts.

They lose the interconnectors, and the state will go black, pure and simple...the wind can't self excite, they are asynchronous...and the small amount of spinning reserve at the load end will be dragged to a halt in the process.

So in that case, the influx of wind energy has lead to higher retail prices, and a less robust grid.

Back in the bad old days of centralised regulation the process would have happened, but it would have been planned, to keep the fundamentals robust and phase in/out technologies. Current "market forces" (can't say that in a world of subsidies) have too many "lumps" in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back