Bimmer owners - Any decent used model?

Eh, quite debatable. I’d rather have an F8x M3/M4 than any non-M E9x for sure.

Fair enough, but not exactly an apples to apples comparison is that?

I did have the opportunity to test the F80 and F82 on track and while they are no doubt great performing cars, it honestly felt like I was driving a video game.

The newer cars are incredibly quick, but they lack the same feel and character the older cars have. Each time I drove an F30 or F80 I was impressed with the power, but driving home in my E90 felt like putting on your old favorite glove.

This sums it up perfectly IMO

Depends what you are after. If you want tuning potential and tech features, a new BMW definitely has the older ones beat. For driving dynamics and less gimmicky features, the E9x is where it's at. I've test driven some newer ones, and the same friend who owns the E46 ZHP bought a 2015 335xi sport package and tuned it. He sold the F30 but still owns the E46. The newer cars are incredibly quick, but they lack the same feel and character the older cars have. Each time I drove an F30 or F80 I was impressed with the power, but driving home in my E90 felt like putting on your old favorite glove.
Having owned a couple of E90's and currently a F32 I can see that. Other than EPS I think part of that feeling is the size difference. My F32 feels like a much bigger car because it is around 2" larger in almost every metric (Wheelbase, F/R track, etc.). One big difference which I don't know if you caught on to is that BMW went with 5% taller tires on the sport pkg equipped cars for the F3x. Ex. 255/35-18 vs 255/40-18. I remember some E90's owners toyed with that slightly taller tire size. I was going to do that myself on my E90 330 but I wanted the 335d instead.

Depends what you are after. If you want tuning potential and tech features, a new BMW definitely has the older ones beat. For driving dynamics and less gimmicky features, the E9x is where it's at. I've test driven some newer ones, and the same friend who owns the E46 ZHP bought a 2015 335xi sport package and tuned it. He sold the F30 but still owns the E46. The newer cars are incredibly quick, but they lack the same feel and character the older cars have. Each time I drove an F30 or F80 I was impressed with the power, but driving home in my E90 felt like putting on your old favorite glove.
I agree and I cannot believe BMW went mainstream to cater to the mainstream (with current price tags it would be suicide building for only enthusiasts). Without getting into details just think about the turn signals, wipers, cruise control on the E90. A rite of passage for a new BMW owner was to be able to successfully make a lane change and operate the turn signals. Many could not do it, they’d change lanes to the left, and their cars would blink left, right, left, right, when the new owner couldn’t do it properly. 🤟

I was given a F30 during Takata and no matter what setting, steering was light with zero feel. Nothing and no amount of miles or months with the car changed my opinion.

I agree and I cannot believe BMW went mainstream to cater to the mainstream (with current price tags it would be suicide building for only enthusiasts). Without getting into details just think about the turn signals, wipers, cruise control on the E90. A rite of passage for a new BMW owner was to be able to successfully make a lane change and operate the turn signals. Many could not do it, they’d change lanes to the left, and their cars would blink left, right, left, right, when the new owner couldn’t do it properly. 🤟

I was given a F30 during Takata and no matter what setting, steering was light with zero feel. Nothing and no amount of miles or months with the car changed my opinion.
The later F30s the EPS was slightly better, but like stated above the size difference is still quite noticeable. I'm not saying F30/F80 and newer cars are bad, they are just different, and lack the feel that made the older cars stand out from say a Camry or Accord. I liked the F80 I drove (6 speed manual, that light blue color) but for the money I felt I had to LOVE the car not just 'like' it over my paid for and cheap (in comparison) to own E90. The newer cars supposedly have better steering feel, I haven't driven them, but the styling is not attractive to me.

My brother owned an E92 335i that I drove quite a bit. I feel like F8x is quite a bit better in every aspect other than steering feel which is still good enough, in my opinion. I do think the vanilla E9x drive better than the F3x for sure, but they did improve the F cars after LCI etc.

Having owned a couple of E90's and currently a F32 I can see that. Other than EPS I think part of that feeling is the size difference. My F32 feels like a much bigger car because it is around 2" larger in almost every metric (Wheelbase, F/R track, etc.).
Agreed my f36 feels pretty big compared to my e90. The b58 is definitely a fun engine and the car pulls hard. However, I do love the way my e90 N52 drives and feels.

My brother owned an E92 335i that I drove quite a bit. I feel like F8x is quite a bit better in every aspect other than steering feel which is still good enough, in my opinion. I do think the vanilla E9x drive better than the F3x for sure, but they did improve the F cars after LCI etc.
One thing I noticed on the F series cars is the build quality at least on the interior seemed to be a bit lower. At 34k miles my friend's F30 had some annoying interior rattles, and plastic bits that were loose. My 100k mile E90 is still rattle and squeak free inside, and so is a family members 220k mile 2006 E90. 🤷‍♂️

One thing I noticed on the F series cars is the build quality at least on the interior seemed to be a bit lower. At 34k miles my friend's F30 had some annoying interior rattles, and plastic bits that were loose. My 100k mile E90 is still rattle and squeak free inside, and so is a family members 220k mile 2006 E90. 🤷‍♂️
I actually felt that way when I lifted the hood especially around the cowl area. I had no business doing it on a loaner, but I removed the covering to expose the brake booster and it seemed cheap…

I literally noticed the other day, on my 2007 E92, the rubber on the trunk lid for the release, it’s sticky and a chunk deteriorated off. I decided to dab silicone to cover the sticky part and when it cures it should no longer be sticky. I noticed this too on the plastic around the shift console. Age I guess…

People were disparaging the E46 for being plasticky compared to the E36. E30 owners said the same about the E36. And so on…

The E9x generation still drove like how BMWs used to drive, but in other respects, it fell victim to some trends as well.

Went to one of the launch events, and one thing I noticed was the sharp, unfinished edges on the hood.

Never a good idea to put things you'd like kept intact in the way of a closing hood, but the E90 took it to a new level, with built-in guillotines around the perimeter.

And BMW's practice of not clear coating the engine compartment started long before that. Removing hood insulation, not finishing things in body color are among the smaller details that also saw declines.

Back