Better MPG with Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't bought BP or Amoco gas in years now. I tried a tank of it Amoco when I first bought my truck in 2006 and it did not run very well on it for some odd reason. And I do not and will not buy BP gas now because of what is going on with the oil spill and the way BP has mishandled it from the very beginning.

However, my truck runs great on Shell gas. It did take a few tanks to begin to really feel a difference but I can honestly say there is a noticeable improvement in power and throttle response on Shell. I am also convinced there is some kind of better interaction with MMO and the additives in Shell gas that did not occur or is not possible with MMO and Chevron/Texaco gas. I am not a chemist but I really think this is contributing to the improved performance. Whatever it is, I am happy with Shell and will keep using it.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I used 10 consecutive tanks of Shell V-Power 93 Octane 0% Ethanol and then switched to 87 with 10% ethanol and add Lucas to it. Truck runs great and I consistently get better mileage than posted numbers for my truck from the Government of Canada

I don't see any difference in mileage between E-10 and the Ethanol Free fuels in this vehicle.

My '89 Cabriolet however doesn't like E-10 as much as it does Ethanol Free fuel.

Your truck probably only needs 87 octane fuel. In my RX (which premium is recommended) I get less power/mpg`s on 87. Most all of our stations here have the [censored] in it.

Yeah it does only need 87, but I used the 93 because there was 0% ethanol and supposedly the most cleaning additives and I wanted to take the "Shell Nitrogen Challenge" when it first came out and also because it was 10x air-miles for months on end and I racked up a ton because work pays for gas!!!
grin2.gif

I got 17.83 MPG with my most recent tank of Shell 87 and 6 oz. MMO. I was lucky to get 15.5 or 16 to maybe 16.5 on Chevron/Texaco and Sunoco. I still think there must be some kind of a better beneficial interaction or chemical process going on with the Shell gas and MMO.

Shell is good gas and I will keep using it. I have gotten the best and most consistent power and MPG with Shell over any other brand I have tested in my truck. I am also very anxious to try the Quaker State Advanced Durability 10W30 I stocked up on last month at AAP. I have about another month till my next oil change. But that is another post for another section.

This should be my last post here in this topic, but I will still keep tracking and recording my fuel purchases, MPG and MMO dose rate. I hope this post helps anyone else who might be looking for info on which fuel might be best for their car or truck.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Yeah it does only need 87, but I used the 93 because there was 0% ethanol and supposedly the most cleaning additives and I wanted to take the "Shell Nitrogen Challenge" when it first came out and also because it was 10x air-miles for months on end and I racked up a ton because work pays for gas!!!
grin2.gif

I racked up a ton of air miles on Shell's last 10x promotion too! In fact, I racked up enough air miles to take my family to the Keg for a steak dinner!
20.gif

I had a diary that calcuated the MPG of all the different gas stations I've been too.

Every time I went to Shell, I got the best MPG. The worst?, cheap stations like LukOil, getty, Wesco.

Last edited:
I wish I had a Shell around here, I'be been getting gas at the local Mobil and my mileage has started to tank. Just check my fuelly. I think I'm going to stick with Sunoco 89.

Thanks for the fuelly links, I will check it out at home tonight. Looks like a cool website.

I'm not surprised Sparkplug has gotten bad results with Mobil gas. I have heard and read Mobil is not very good and is sold to stations that sell it at the cheapest price, so the gas you buy at a Mobil station might not be Mobil gas, just cheap no name gas that Mobil sold the rights to a station so they can put the Mobil brand name on the gas they sell.

Plus I don't use Mobil gas or any Mobil oil because of their business practices, especially how they made astronomical and record profits a couple years ago when gas was over 4 bucks a gallon. They made more profit that year than any other oil company and they did it on the backs of people who were already struggling financially and could not afford it to begin with.

Been using ethanol free Shell 87 the past few half tanks (Suburban has a 42 gallon tank, I can't AFFORD to fill it up) and have seen some improvement in mileage (up to 18 average, from 16 to 16.5). It's definitely some of the better gasoline in the area.

27 mpg in my 2000 mustang gt on vpower....22 on petro canada premium and 29 on chevron premium....non ethanol fuels i might add....however we have no chevrons in sask....so shell it is

Old thread , however when switching from Texaco 87 to Shell 87 for the first time this fill up I'm getting close to 2 MPG's better with the Shell ...go figure .

I know it's an old thread. I have filled up twice now with gas from my local 7-11 convenience store. I'm getting about 1.2 more MOG from the 7-11 gas than Shell. I think 7-11 has less Ethanol and less detergents in it, so it provides more energy and power and it burns more efficiently, so I get more MPG out of it. I have a post about it a few posts down from here.

I tried the Shell a few times (while traveling) in my RAV, and got a little hint of pinging under light load at about the shift points. Doesn't do it all the time, but did every now and then as long as the Shell was in the tank. I used the same octane as I normally do using Chevron.
I couldn't tell if it ran better or worse, just a slight pinging sometimes with Shell.

I'm amazed at the various results on Shell gas! I'm in NJ and drive a Lexus/Toyota SUV and Shell without a doubt gives me the worst gas mileage. I've proven it over and over with my vehicle. Go figure.

I typically get better mpg with Quik Trip than Shell.

It's hardly scientific. I'm not travelling the same route at the same speeds with the same temperature and humidity. But the results were consistant enough that I quit using Shell.

Besides, even with the Kroger card, it's still .02 cents less per gallon at QT.

And QT is a Top Tier gasoline... or was last time I checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back