Best year round wiper blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wag123
I gave-up on the high dollar wiper blades because I can't get more than a year out of any of them in the Texas sun/heat. I went back to the cheap Anco standard wiper blades and I replace them more often. I can buy 3 sets of them for the same cost as some of the higher dollar premium wiper blades.

^ this. ANCO at walmart for 4.97 a blade. i replace them once a year. I prefer to do that than to buy one $20 blade every 3 years, plus I've never had and expensive blade last long enough to justify the cost. I bought the expensive blades once when they were BOGO at AAP they didnt last as long as my trusty ANCO's.

I think I prefer Anco unfortunately my walmart does not carry them anymore.

Everyone is raving about the Bosch Icons, I have them on my saturn right now I am not impressed at all and would be furious if i didnt get such a GOOD deal on them.. Mine havent even lasted a year, they already chatter streak and leave tons of lines. So maybe I just had bad luck, but I will not buy again. The bosch are not worth the money IMO, and as others have stated you can buy several cheap pair in the time you buy one expensive set.(also not a fan of beam blades)

I think since I cannot find the Ancos anymore, I will try either the cheap rain x wipers, or the cheap trico wipers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: wag123
I gave-up on the high dollar wiper blades because I can't get more than a year out of any of them in the Texas sun/heat. I went back to the cheap Anco standard wiper blades and I replace them more often. I can buy 3 sets of them for the same cost as some of the higher dollar premium wiper blades.

^ this. ANCO at walmart for 4.97 a blade. i replace them once a year. I prefer to do that than to buy one $20 blade every 3 years, plus I've never had and expensive blade last long enough to justify the cost. I bought the expensive blades once when they were BOGO at AAP they didnt last as long as my trusty ANCO's.

All of the wiper blades that I have tried are pretty much worn out and ready to be replaced at one year (including the Ancos), so I have been replacing them once a year, right before the state inspection. If they start chattering or streaking I replace them sooner.
I bought the last set of Ancos off of Amazon for under $6 ea with free shipping.
I hear that the cheap Michelin wiper blades they now sell at Walmart are pretty good. Consumer Reports also gives them high marks. I might try them next time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: actionstan
I think I prefer Anco unfortunately my walmart does not carry them anymore.

Everyone is raving about the Bosch Icons, I have them on my saturn right now I am not impressed at all and would be furious if i didnt get such a GOOD deal on them.. Mine havent even lasted a year, they already chatter streak and leave tons of lines. So maybe I just had bad luck, but I will not buy again. The bosch are not worth the money IMO, and as others have stated you can buy several cheap pair in the time you buy one expensive set.(also not a fan of beam blades)

I think since I cannot find the Ancos anymore, I will try either the cheap rain x wipers, or the cheap trico wipers.

The ones that WM currently sells under the Super Tech name are labeled as made by Federal-Mogul, which is the parent company of Anco. They're likely exactly the same as regular Anco but without the Anco name stamped into the frame. Personally I've been buying Anco refills on Amazon pretty cheap. I take pliers to the little clip and then slide them into the frame.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Whatever came OEM on your vehicle. I'm using OEM blades on both vehicles with good results. They're even cheaper compared to some of the alternatives being mentioned here. Double-check with your dealer, though!

Subaru OEM for a Japanese assembled car is NWB narrow blades. It's possible to get them, but not at the dealer. The only thing I've seen at a dealer is some standard width universal style blade made in the US.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Whatever came OEM on your vehicle. I'm using OEM blades on both vehicles with good results. They're even cheaper compared to some of the alternatives being mentioned here. Double-check with your dealer, though!

Subaru OEM for a Japanese assembled car is NWB narrow blades. It's possible to get them, but not at the dealer. The only thing I've seen at a dealer is some standard width universal style blade made in the US.

Toyota does the same thing. They use a cheap wiper that even has holes in it for pin wiper arms. Toyota only used hooks or screws to attach their wipers!

A timely post.

I see there are several Michigander replies.
Michigan weather is impressively harsh on wiper blades; heat, winter, salt--lots of salt, and an amazing amount of road grime. The only solution I have found it to replace the blades frequently, often about every 6-8 months (typically in early spring, and beginning of winter). A year at the most.

I have had the best luck with Anco 31 series @ $5/ea, but can no longer find them in my area.
I just placed a set of Michelin (Pylon) blades from Walmart, and though they wipe well, I can clearly see exaggerated wipes at the blade mounting/pressure points. Probably taking them back today.

I may just go to Target and pick up a set of Weatherbeaters for ~$10/ea. I tried them and found that they were similar to the Ancos...at 2-3x cost.
I maintain 3 cars, and prefer to replace the blades about twice a year, so cost is a concern.
I may try the Bosch Steeltechs...

I just noticed y_p_w's post above: unfortunately, the Walmarts in my area don't carry yhe Supertechs (yet). I will keep my eyes open.

Anyway, I don't have a clear answer, as I am searching for one myself! I think it is a matter of trial and error.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back