Best Solvent for carbon removal

which solvent (or mix of solvents) is best for removing carbon build-up from steel by soaking without any mechanical removal?

MEK,
denatured alcohol,
acetone,
xylene,
kerosene,
diesel fuel

which solvent (or mix of solvents) is best for removing carbon build-up from steel by soaking without any mechanical removal?

MEK,
denatured alcohol,
acetone,
xylene,
kerosene,
diesel fuel
Berryman B12. For me - it removed plenty of carbon (intentional) and some paint (unintentional).

Last edited:
I would say MEK, but no one sells it. Only MEK substitute.
You can’t get MEK in CA or states that follow CARB standards, however the blue and orange boxes don’t carry it - W.M. Barr, the people who own the Kleen-Strip brand discontinued it. W.M. Barr also packages solvents for Ace and True Value so they are also out of the question.

Try a real paint store(Sherwin-Williams, a Benjamin Moore dealer, PPG Paints or a local paint brand) - Sunnyside Solvents and Crown Solvents still packages MEK.

Attachments

• Capture+_2022-08-27-07-52-31.jpg
    Capture+_2022-08-27-07-52-31.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 59
You can get true MEK from aircraft supply shops or other fiberglass repair shops (think boats, etc.). I'd only seek it out in desperation for DIY projects myself. The stuff in the big box stores is not the full meal deal.

Back