Best SAE40 Engine Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm dropping into Supercheap tomorrow, they have a much bigger range than our local Repco....what am I looking for? Chief? I ran Edge 25W50 in the Airhead once (twice, it holds 2.5 L) and it seemed to stuggle on cold mornings...but I've refined the bike over the years, starts better cold now I'm sure.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: Silk

I usually drink free beer (Corona tonight) but if I pay for it I am on the dark side.

My father was a Lion Red drinker, I like Tui myself.

Oh, and Monteith's Black Beer....for a dark beer next to a open fire.

Supercheap, you will maybe find Chief SAE30 in the mower section. You will find Penrite SAE30 small engine also there, and Penrite 10W30 semi synth.

Latter two I would suggest are appropriate.

Originally Posted By: Silk
OK, I'm getting interested now. Trying to find something for my 1974 Moto Guzzi Stornello 160, the owners manual says 20/30, I've found earlier models recommend SAE40, so instead of multi grades, I'm thinking a 30 or 40 would be a better fit. It has a very wide 3 gear helical primary, a shear factory I think.

Castrol make a RX Mono 30 and Mono 40 (API CF / SG)
Penrite make a Mono Truck SAE 30 and SAE 40 ( API CF / SF)
You should be able to get both of those in NZ

Caltex make a Delo Silver Monograde in SAE 30 and SAE 40. Both CF / SJ. I can only find them at wholesalers, the SAE 30 comes in 5L containers, but the SAE 40 comes in 20L as the smallest size.

Chief (SCA house brand) make a Chocatan SAE 30 ( SF / CF) and I have seen that in 1L canteens.

Have you tried a regular HDEO 15W-40 ? (How did it go? -if you did try it)

Have you tried a regular HDEO 15W-40 ? (How did it go? -if you did try it)

Since I got it back on the road a couple of years ago, I've had it on Delvac MX 15W-40. Last month I tried our Mitsi 5W-30 (Edge I suspect), but not sure it's a good long term oil for a pushrod shared sump...but I'm sure it's many times better than whatever I had in it in 1980. I've always wanted to try Chief, this could be the excuse I need.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly

Beside, you were looking for holy grail of SAE 30 mono-grade, ended up a 15W30.
Is dere SAE40 equivalent?

20w40. That's an old-time grade, though.
But this seems like a thread that's running down memory lane.

It took me 10x edits to get the French Canadian accent right.

Should have been " 'oly grale "

Last edited:
BrocLuno;
What brought dis on?
Well da thin oil crowd started hundred of topic thread, like: da best 5w20, 0w20 vs 5w20, 20 dis and 0w30 dat.
I thought bout time we talk bout SAE40 dis, and SAE40 dat.
Look the crowd response, guy dat know good racing beer & 'ockey team, know dere SAE40 too.
Beside, you were looking for holy grail of SAE 30 mono-grade, ended up a 15W30.
Is dere SAE40 equivalent?

Sure there is. OTOH - Hockey I dunno a thing about. My sister is a life long Sharks fan with tickets to the tank and all. But me - not so much ... Whatcha got for motorcycle Ice Racing
laugh.gif

The thin crowd goes nuts when you even get to 5W-30. What do they know... They think you can get 22 MPG out of a Bull Dog Mack is you use the "right" oil
grin.gif

I sympathize with OZ and the EU on pricing. In the EU I think it's mostly VAT and Road Tax. In OZ I think it's small market and shipping and maybe/prolly collusion ...

So there are SAE 40's for aero use too. I keep thinking they should be good for air-cooled motorcycles... Neither have oil filters, or much of one...

That Gutzi have chrome liners? Seen plenty of those flake in the upper ring area. I'd be all over a good SAE30 or SAE40 for that engine if it does...

TO-2 sounds like a great way to go for some applications. Need more spec info and user insight... But it ought to be perfect for motorcycles with shared sumps. That's prolly what most motorcycle oils are, just re-packaged and re-branded TO-2
crazy.gif

Not a beer guy sorry. Used to be a wine guy. How ironic, I used to be a wine drinker and moved to the Napa Valley. Worked in the industry part time for a while (harvest and transport side) and lost my wine pallet about 10 years ago. Can't do tannin's anymore... So now I'm the designated driver, which can be entertaining in it's own way
smile.gif

So far I have to vote for Delo 40
laugh.gif
But we may find another very interesting candidate
laugh.gif

And very good on the F/C accent - well done
grin.gif

Last edited:
Honda XR650R and a torn MCL.

I tried Aero Shell 15W50 in motor cycles, that experiment lasted one day.

Last edited:
Honda XR650R and a torn MCL.

I tried Aero Shell 15W50 in motor cycles, that experiment lasted one day.

Cool on the bike, bummer on the MCL.

What went wrong with the Aero oil...

I used to fish the St. Lawrence out of Oka, QC and back when I used to drink, my favorite was Maudite.

Muskie fishing on the St. Lawrence and the Ottawa River are some of my best memories.

Last edited:
I do have one favorite beer - Killian's in Nova Scotia. At the brewery only. We have a few craft beers in the local area like Lagunitas with some interesting flavors. But a hot day usually takes in the lemonade direction
sick.gif

Aero Shell 15w50; Complaints from the riders and transmission millings in the screen, and on my bike, the paper filter too.

Look for glitter in the sun after draining the oil. UOAs can't read those big pieces. Ever notice that motorcycle UOAs never report clutch material?
My theory is, if you keep the transmission happy, the engine will go along with it, because the less steel in the oil the better.
I think the roll of ZDDP is way overplayed for shared engine/transmission applications, and maybe instead, the higher the SA the better.
TO-4s come in around 1.6 SA, and have a little of everything.
CD50 Eaton Road Ranger oil costs $22/L in Australia, but my playing around, kept the filters, screens and riders happy.
Some PDS show CD50 as passing API CD. Maybe that is where it got it's name. Just another old school SAE50 gone wild.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Are there any TO-2's left around?

I counted a small handfull the last few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back