Best rider in $2000 range

Status
Not open for further replies.
A neighbor of mine just bought this Snapper 33" rear engine rider and is very happy with it. We are in S. Florida and our yards are totally flat, so I am not sure how it would do on a different kind of yard.

I have no idea if the mower is any good or not, maybe someone who knows more than me about these things can say. The neighbor is happy with it, however.

http://www.mowersdirect.com/Snapper-7800952-Lawn-Mower/p12383.html

Originally Posted By: JTK
FastGame, Pretty sure by now you've seen $2500 doesn't buy you a real solid brand-new machine. It will however, buy you one that can mow a relatively smooth and flat residential lawn for many years with reasonable care.

I see you're really wanting a Kawasaki engine. That's great IMO, but the engine is only a piece of the puzzle. I love Kawasakis, but I just don't see how one in a $2500 rider is the same Kawi you'd find in a $6000 JD.

To me, make/model of the transaxle, quality of the steering components, cutting deck and supporting hardware outweighs if it's got a Kawi, Briggs or Chonda engine on it.

Exactly. I like the last line best.

These days the engines are decently reliable from Briggs. And people get way too excited over brand when they really just want a decent mower. Our 26 HP 54 inch mower was under 2k with a nifty warranty and everything. It does all we want, which is MOW our acreage down quickly and easily.

I love the fact that wonderful used machines are out there. Feeling lucky?

@Gizmo8800, I had the original snapper like that, I gave it to my buddy 2yrs ago cuz it's the #1 mower for lawn racing...he fixed up and it flys...LOL

@JTK, thanks and I agree. When I bought my Wheel Horse in 73 it was a high $$$ machine and well worth it....it's still running strong.

@SteveSRT8, thanks...now if you would be so kind as to tell me what mower you got it would add to my things to think about.

Thanks to all...I'm going to JD today.

Originally Posted By: FastGame

@JTK, thanks and I agree. When I bought my Wheel Horse in 73 it was a high $$$ machine and well worth it....it's still running strong.

Yep, it was probably a $3000 machine back then. Same as a new car for some make/models.

In regards to the transaxles. I'm sure you've done your research, but do you know what you want? Hydrostatic, gear, CVT?

I'd totally avoid belt/sheave CVT. Gear drives are all light duty now and there's two players for hydrostatic. HydroGear and Tufftorq:

http://www.hydro-gear.com/Main/products/hydrostatic-drives

http://www.tufftorq.com/products/lawn-garden/transaxles/index.html

Both are excellent the higher you go up in the model ranges.

Peerless Tecumseh was making gear drives and hydrostatics up to the mid/later 2000's. I've got one of those in a cheap CL bought Craftsman rider I have.

Last edited:
Personally, I would look for a older John Deere with the 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel engine. They can be had at under 1000 hours for about 2000-3000 and with the hydraulic PTO systems on those machines and the overkill frame, you can upgrade it with a number of attachments easily. The Yanmar is pretty much indestructible and I've seen them with as many hours as 10k+ without a full rebuild.

Those Honda riders with the inline 2-cyl, liquid cooled engines are pieces of artwork. Those things are amazing. I see them from time to time for a relatively good deal on CL, but the they look beat to heck.

Agreed on the JDs with a Yanmar diesel. Some Cub GTs can be had with the Yanmar as well. I've even seen some JDs with gas versions of the Yanmar 3cyl. Super tough, but thirsty and not worth it IMO. These machines might be serious overkill for the OP though.

Last edited:
Man-o-Man the info overload you guy's are laying on me...haha...thanks.

Not going to find the JD Yanmar's around here, there's a bunch in use but people aren't selling them.

I know I said $2000-$2500 max & no Z-turn but we live in the USA and can change our minds..hehe.

Went to the JD dealer and they have nice low hour Z445 54in deck, cosmetically it looks new, even under deck nice paint no chips or rust anywhere on this machine...The lowest I could get them down to was $3,600. I have a friend who's owns very large farms and buy's lots of large equipment from them. He says that he can get the Z445 for me $3,000 out the door. If he swings that I think I should jump on it ???

OR

I could be an old guy putting around my little yard on the JD 140.

The JD Z445 doesn't look like anything special to me. I see the JD price is about $5000 for them new.

They've got HydroGear ZT2800 drives, which each will have it's own spin-on filter. I had those drives on my Cub Z-Force 44".

I'd be more excited about it if it had separate pump and motor drive like JDs of this size used to have.

IMO, I'd spend ~$3500 on a nice JD conventional rider.

JTK, thanks Im not so excited now
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FastGame
Man-o-Man the info overload you guy's are laying on me...haha...thanks.

Not going to find the JD Yanmar's around here, there's a bunch in use but people aren't selling them.

I know I said $2000-$2500 max & no Z-turn but we live in the USA and can change our minds..hehe.

Went to the JD dealer and they have nice low hour Z445 54in deck, cosmetically it looks new, even under deck nice paint no chips or rust anywhere on this machine...The lowest I could get them down to was $3,600. I have a friend who's owns very large farms and buy's lots of large equipment from them. He says that he can get the Z445 for me $3,000 out the door. If he swings that I think I should jump on it ???

OR

I could be an old guy putting around my little yard on the JD 140.

Do you have 1/2 acre, 5 acres or what? 54" is a big heavy unit that is not so maneuverable around trees, bushes, etc if you have that. What do you need?

Last edited:
This looks interesting http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/grd/4408644475.html only downside it's big and heavy like my C121

@user52165, in reality with my yard the JD 140 would do just fine. I've never bought a low end mower before and I know a few people who had their drives go out after 4-5+ years, they act like these are bic lighter mowers...when it goes they get another. I made the mistake of starting this thread in the $2,000 range, the more info & studying I do... guess I'm more the type that should spend the $$$ on something that will last many years, even if I don't need to...piece of mind thing I guess.

Thanks.

Fast- Those Toro/Wheel Horse GTs are beasts. I've used them, but never owned one. They're old school. Big turning radius and you need patience for the between the knees gear shift. That 14hp Kohler magnum single will be a thirsty bugger too. It's a design that will last forever though.

Foot pedal hydro is the sweetest for a conventional rider IMO. I've had'em all, including a ZTR and an Ingersoll hy-drive even. Currently have a fender 'shift' Craftsman hydrostatic rider.

Last edited:
if you look at the tranaxles on most of the john deer mower they are made by Spicer.

i'm sure other brand mowers have spicer drivetrains as well.

My father has 2 john deer mower and so far has had pretty good luck with them.

i inherited his old one which is a LT150, Kohler 15 horse with the high pressure oil circuit, i use a 3614/10241 oil filter on it. only had a few deck issues with it rusty and cracked had to reweld and the deck wheels are worn out and need replacing, and i had to take the transaxle apart because it was low on grease on one of the axle shafts and was squealing excessively

His newer one which is only a few years old has the kawasaki engine, i think its a 20 or 22 hp engine and its hydrostatic, 42 inch cut, he really likes it, its alot quieter then the old mower and cuts nicer

Originally Posted By: JLoy
I would find a shelter kept, low hour, used machine and I am sure that I could find something seriously better than new for that price.

I buy and sell over 75 pieces of outdoor power equipment every year. This is absolutely the best advice in this thread. For $2000 you can get a pile of junk from the big box store or get a nice gently used commercial rated piece of equipment. You can get something that originally sold for $5K to $7K often in the $2500 range and it will be much better built.

Even a consumer-grade riding mower should last for 10-15 years with a BITOG'er looking after it. Change the oil with quality stuff, grease the grease points every season, and keeping the deck in good shape will make even a $1500 box-store mower last a good long time.

I wish I would have followed that advice as well...buy a nice used commercial grade piece of equipment rathern than spending $2500 on a consumer model.

In 2007, unfortunately I opted for the consumer grade approach....Cub Cadet SLT 1550 with a 25hp Kohler Courage V-twin. I've taken good care of it, changed the oil once a season (15W-50 HDEO, using Purolator filters). I change the air filter several times a season. For the first 6 years I kept it in the garage, power washed it almost every time I used it, and generally treated it very well.

This past year, I had to resort to keeping it outside under a cover. That's when things started to go downhill. Corrosion is now my bigggest enemy. All the welds on the deck are now rusty. The aluminum block has white chalky corrsion everywhere. Even the wire insulation is starting to suffer. The stamped metal deck, the sheetmetal floorboards, the wheels, all are starting to show signs of corrosion. The metal is so thin, that it won't take long to rust through and cause me more serious problems. I've also had the starter ring gear split on the flywheel...had to TIG weld it back together....twice. The motor has been fine other that that annnoying problem.

Recently, I've tried to rectify my ill ways. Purchased a 1964 Cub Cadet Model 70 tractor with a REAL Kohler that I will be restoring. I can't believe the difference in build quality between a "real" IH Cub Cadet (which is truly a miniature tractor) and the glorified lawmower that has a Cub Cadet decal.

If you don't mind buying used, and can get the parts support you need, then I think this is the best approach. If I had to do it all over again, that's what I would do.

Originally Posted By: Team_FAST
..For the first 6 years I kept it in the garage, power washed it almost every time I used it, and generally treated it very well.

I'm with you in that IH Cubs are beasts, but soak that beast regularly with a power washer and store it under a tarp and you're going to have the same rusty, faltering piece of equipment. I cringe at MTDs "deck wash system". It does nothing more than make a mess and spell certain disaster for the long run. Kept dry and out of the weather is what makes these things last.

I too have bought/sold lots of OPE over the years. Restored and kept some, but pretty much have gotten out of if lately.

Giving them an occasional hose/bucket wish is fine, but for regular cleaning you should just use a leaf blower to blow it off and give the deck a scrape.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: JLoy
I would find a shelter kept, low hour, used machine and I am sure that I could find something seriously better than new for that price.

I buy and sell over 75 pieces of outdoor power equipment every year. This is absolutely the best advice in this thread. For $2000 you can get a pile of junk from the big box store or get a nice gently used commercial rated piece of equipment. You can get something that originally sold for $5K to $7K often in the $2500 range and it will be much better built.

Don't you have to be careful though? I see the odd old diesel hydrostat kubota and wonder what it costs to repower that?!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Don't you have to be careful though? I see the odd old diesel hydrostat kubota and wonder what it costs to repower that?!

You sure do have to be careful. It takes time, patience and research.

You gotta know what make/model your buying because like you say, parts for a $10K diesel are going to be pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back