Best oil for lawnmowers and other small engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay Schmoe. Got the keg, still waiting for the AC!
cheers.gif

Now using Mobil 1 in my Kawasaki 6hp on a Snapper. Makes it easier to start, and seems to handle the S. Fla heat very well. I change the oil & filter every 2 yrs and no problem. Do yourself a favor and never use ethanol gas, and you will never have a problem.

Rotella conventional in the summer,at 100 hr intervals,in winter whatever cheap 5w-30 you can find and change it when the oil smells like fuel.

I use whatever excess vehicles oil I have. Right now my lawn mower is running Mobil EP 5W-30 and I am toying with the idea of leaving it in for two years.

I've used Supertech 30 wt HD for years with never a problem! A gallon costs less than a quart of some of the suggested oil in this thread.

For many years now I have used a 50-50 blend of a straight 30w Dino with a 10W30 synthetic. Why, who knows, works for me. Change it in the Spring and late summer.

I'd use either Chevron Delo or Shell Rotella diesel oil.

I'm currently using Chevron Delo (Isosyn) 15W40 in all my B&S engines that I own/service, and some leftover 10W30 (whatever I have left in my stash years go) into the Honda pressure washer.

* just changed oil yesterday RE: my Craftsman 675 series mower....not too dirty/bad at all.

Q.

I like to using Mobil Delvac 1300 (15/40) in my old John Deere push mower and my Wheel Horse garden tractor with a 12 hp Kohler splash lubed air cooled engine. Wished I owned as many acres as those 2 have covered.

I use M1 10-30 in all my OPE(riding mower, power washer, generator) with excellant results. Very low oil consumption, oil never gets black so I know it's handling the heat, and the engine stays very clean. Once a year OCIs.

You will not go wrong if you use a 15W-40 HDEO in all of your air cooled 4-stroke engines. I have for years, and have absolutely no problems at all.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
You will not go wrong if you use a 15W-40 HDEO in all of your air cooled 4-stroke engines. I have for years, and have absolutely no problems at all.

Agreed...

+1

I have used Rotella T 15w40 in all my air cooled small engines during the summer, with the exception of Kohlers with pressure lubrication. They seem to run best on a 10w30.

I've had a couple flathead Briggs and Stratton engines that quieted down a bit on 15w40 and oil consumption slowed down or stopped. The oil doesn't look as nasty when I drain it out either. I also use it in my customers mowers. Many customers don't check the oil, and since the 15w40 minimizes oil consumption, an older engine won't burn all the oil and seize.

I use Rotella T5 10w30 in snowblowers.
thumbsup2.gif

Is Rotella T 15W40 an example of the HDEO you note?

(I assume this stands for Heavy Duty Engine Oil?)

Originally Posted By: sonjason

Is Rotella T 15W40 an example of the HDEO you note?

(I assume this stands for Heavy Duty Engine Oil?)

Yes, HDEO = Heavy Duty Engine Oil.

Rotella T5 10W-30 and T6 5W-40 are also examples of readily-available (and good for small engines) HDEOs.

What kind of Briggs are you talking about?
If it's an old flathead, it really won't be picky about oil and will run happily on a straight thirty or forty, 10W-30, 15W-40, 15W-50 or whatever other odds and ends you have laying around the garage.
I just realized that I'm replying to a ten year old topic starter.
I still have all of the OPEs I had in 2003, and have not actually bought any since then.

I am presently using NAPA 15-40 diesel oil in all my small engines with no problem. I just switched my Kawasaki 6hp Snapper mower engine to M1 10-40 high mileage syn, no difference except a littler easy to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back