Best OIL for a 2009 BMW 328i in Florida ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sprintman
Mine has had oil (M1 0W40) and filter every 8,000kms by previous owner. Oil is cheap.

And the peace of mind is priceless.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: The Critic
but they do not realize that the oil must still be changed annually if the car does not accumulate enough mileage for a scheduled oil change.

Every 2 years, according to BMW.

Not true.

From Service Bulletin SI B12 25 05 in July 2008:

Quote:

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B12 25 05 dated December 2005.

SUBJECT: Engine Oil Service with CBS4

MODEL: E70, E71, E82, E88, E90, E91, E92, and E93 with the N51, N52, N52K, N54, N62TU, and N63 engines

INFORMATION: With the introduction of the E90 also came the next generation of Condition Based Service – CBS4. The primary change from previous CBS strategies is that the oil service forecast distance remaining is calculated and displayed separately from the time-based or absolute service-due date. The mileage interval forecast calculation by the DME is primarily based upon an actual fuel consumption variable, which reflects the current driving profile.

It is the total fuel consumption, and not the accumulated mileage, which influences when the next oil service will be forecast as due. The displayed mileage until due is only a forecast, and begins to decrease at a quicker rate once the remaining percentage drops below 50%.

If the actual fuel consumption profile increases or decreases from baseline averages, the mileage interval forecast will effectively increase or decrease as well. The learned driver profile (average fuel consumption) is also used to calculate the next forecast mileage after a CBS reset. For this reason, a starting point of up to 30,000 km (19,000 miles) may be expected for a vehicle achieving lower than average fuel consumption. The oil service will also be forecast as due 24 months after the last CBS reset, and will prompt for the service if the forecast based upon fuel consumption has not been reached.

However, it is recommended in the US market to change the engine oil at least once a year. More details concerning the low mileage annual oil service may be found in SI B00 04 01. The CBS intervals for other maintenance parts, such as the microfilter and spark plugs, are now linked directly to a multiple of the oil service. For this reason, it is important that the oil service counter be set to indicate the correct service currently being forecast.

The SBT 000104070 (Condition Based Service), SBT 000406148 (Modifications to Condition Based Service, and SBT 000206146 (CBS - E70/71) all contain additional information on Condition Based Service strategy and functionality.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Not true.

From Service Bulletin SI B12 25 05 in July 2008:

Thanks for that TSB. Haven't seen it before. However, this is a service bulletin - not something a typical owner will have access to. And the owner's manual (at least mine from 2002) only mentions "every two years", and on top of that, that's how the CBS is programmed. So, if you're a typical owner who follows the computer indication, you will have your oil changed every 2 years. I'm sure bmw service department will not go out of their way to call the customer and ask them to come get their free oil change sooner.

I think like evertything else, you need to be your own advocate.

God helps those that help themselves, and their cars.

Burpelson

Originally Posted By: Burpelson
I think like evertything else, you need to be your own advocate.

Exactly. If you ask for it, you'll get it, but if you don't even know that that's your option, then you might be SOL. If someone is planning to keep the car past its warranty, he will probably be more proactive. If someone is just leasing it, he could care less.

Pete, my 2008 135i gets oil changes by BMW once per year if the mileage accumulated doesn't reach the limit. It's programmed into the computer too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back