Best hangun caliber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes that is true. If you have a permit to carry a concealed weapon you need to carry a gun that is easy to conceal and easy to carry. Rather than those tiny .38s that new little German 9mm would probably be good.

But for full sized guns I like .40 or .45. Now I like the .357 Magnum revolver but shoot one at night in the dark and see how well you can see after the muzzle flash. You can load it with .38 Special rounds which basically is like a 9mm handgun.

I would not want to shoot anybody except in self defense of myself or someone else or in time of war. But I was always trained two center mass. If somebody is apparently using body armor than another in the face.

A gun like a 9mm Glock is good for a civilian because hydroshock rounds are effective and 9mm ammunition is cheaper. A .38 Special revolver is good for a civilian. Easy to clean and easy to maintain and relatively cheap ammunition. But I can't see arming soldiers with 9mm handguns. Not that hanguns are normally primary weapons for soldiers anyway. Remember the military has to use full metal jacket.

That gun looks good. I saw a review about it and the guy who shot it was able to shoot it pretty good from even 25 yards (we are talking about a small handgun). Try that with one of those aluminum frame five shot tiny .38s.

The worst recoil I ever experienced in a handgun was a tiny aluminum frame .38. I don't know what kind of ammo the woman who owned it had in it-maybe P+P rounds. You had to just about aim it at the ground to hit the target in front of you. And I have shot .44 magnums. I would rather shoot a .44 magnum or .357 magnum any day.

For self defense, the .357 Mag, 40 S&W, or 45ACP. For large game hunting, .44 Mag.

For self defense there is no point in going with something smaller unless you cannot cope with the recoil of a .357 or 40. And there is no need for anything more powerful.

For hunting large game, I wouldn’t recommend anything less than a 10MM or 41Mag. And since the 44 Mag is much more common and excellent in every respect, there aren’t many reasons to choose anything else. If you think you need something larger than a 44 Mag, you should seriously consider a rifle. Any handgun will feel like a pellet pistol when defending yourself against the attack of a big brownie. Not to mention that most handguns significantly more powerful than the 44 Mag. are not much more convenient to carry than a rifle.

For concealed carry though, unless you REALLY want to dress around a 3 or 4 inch .357, a snubby 1.75 inch .357 is gonna have equal or less power than a small 3.5 inch 9mm pistol. Snubby .357s put out only about 350 ft. lbs @ around 1000 ft/sec (where as a good 4 incher'll get ya 550 - 600 ft. lbs @1200 ft/sec). Barrel length is everything and a longer/good length barrel in a revolver = a large gun.

Something to consider. That's why I love the G29 - compact pocket pistol that, when equipped with a proper spring etc, can handle ammo producing 700 ft lbs @ 1300 ft/sec.

Quote:

I have the following;

And *if* I had to one have one it would be the .357 mag.

You can shoot .38 spec, load those low and pink away for 2 cents a shot. Load it up with some H110 and 125gn JHP and do some serious business.

If I had to own only one gun, it would be my Ruger GP 100 6 inch. It would do almost anything I need to do.

Of course, I can own (and will always) own more than one so the Marlin 1894 gets used, the S&W 586 and others.

But bottom line, the .357 is the best handgun caliber IMO.

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Agree.

to me its what you shoot best accurately.. its been proven time and time and time again that it mostly doesnt matter with caliber, its the shooter and the shot placement.. i have a 9mm and feel very comfortable with it.. mainly bc i can dot your eyes and cross your T's out to 15yds easy.. beyond that also.

.357 mag is nice since you can also use .38 specials also for target pratice. I have .45ACP, but alot of people state it's too big of a grip. What weapon you can handle, shoot accurately and what it is primary for counts.

To echo some of the other posts here ...

"Best" is a relative question. Best for target economy plinking? Best for defense? Best for hunting?

The "best" caliber is the one the user can accurately put on target, every time. If you can't put the rounds on target, whether it's a .22LR or a .50AE, it's really a moot point.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Quote:
Any hand gun is not a stopper like a 12-gauge with buck shot.

This one is; loaded with Buffalo bore 18A you have yourself a handgun with .308 Winchester power!
grin.gif

163501_thumb.jpg

Only if you're Clint Eastwood.

(I knew he shot a .44, but this gun is even more Clint Eastwood than any other)

Last edited:
For cheap shooting, a .22lr, either/or revolver, semi-auto.
For serious social encounter/conceal carry a .41, .44, .50 S&W. in a revolver for reliability or a good semi-auto in .40 or .45 which is often practiced with.
For target any of the above in appropriate barrel length.

My favorites depending on mission.

Glock 23 40 S&W load for 950fps 180gr
Glock 20 10mm (I live in bear country and I don't carry this but good power) Load 180gr at 1200fps
Springfield 1911 45acp load 230gr 850 and 900 fps
Ruger Redhawk 4" 44 mag (This is what I use in bear country)
Load max H110 240gr bullet. (old book)

Hard to beat a semi auto 45ACP double stack. Plenty of ammo and stopping power.

I had a gang of 9 attack me a few years ago. I was armed with 13 rounds in my Para, plus a second magazine. Glad they suddenly got wise and called it off.

Chris

P.S. you will never sell me on the 10 round limit!

I think 10 rounds is stupid too. I think we should have the right to the best technology, which are high capacity magazines. Too much emaphise is put on the nut cases that shouldnt even have guns, then the people that have the right to have guns. I hope that assault weapon ban never returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back