Best Conventional Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Great oil, but isn't it technically a blend?
smile.gif

Yes it's a blend, but with a conventional price. $3.44 per quart.
smile.gif

virtually all north American national brand name of conventional oils are good.

There's no such thing as best in this world. Learn to live with that.

Q.

Thanks he chose the PYB. & will do the 5,000 OCI which is what we were pretty much talking about but figured that I could ask many of your educated opinions before I gave him concrete advice. He also will be joining the site soon so I think we won him over which is awesome. Thanks

Hmmm, for conventional oils I have used Valvoline WB, Castrol GTX, Havoline, Formula Shell, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Mobil 5000, Wolf's Head, Agip and a few others I am forgetting. I have used all of the above and I recommend all of them. In fact, growing up all of the cars in our house got Wolf's Head oil for the life of cars and they all ran well into old age. It's all about the API rating my friend.
smile.gif

My vote based on feelings about the brand alone would be either Pennzoil or Valvoline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Mobil Super 5000; best bang for the buck out there and should work well for him.

+ 1 @ 5k OCI

There are so many great oils out there but my favorites are mobil super 5000 or pyb but anything with the rating you need will be perfect.

PYB, QSGB, MS5k are all good oils. Depending on where he's buying his oil, he might be able to get a better price on Havoline, Chevron, or Kendall (Kendall is a semi-synthetic).

As long as he gets a quality oil, his vehicles will be protected, so he might as well save a few bucks and get whichever one of the quality oils is cheapest.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
The cheapest on the shelf that is API certified.

They have different additive packages, and there is a difference between meet and exceed certifications. The cheapest one would be best in terms of cost only.

are you just talking to yourself?

Best conventional oil? The top names are all similar but the most popular is the PYB due to a hefty additive package.

The 55 gallon bulk method at home confuses me.. the pumps involved are expensive, contamination of dust/dirt with the hoses, plus the 5 or so gallons in the bottom of the barrel that have to be manually removed by tipping etc..and the additives settling to the bottom over time etc etc.

Buying from an oil jobber is really the only way to get a good price on barrels, so your friend will have to pay a delivery fee or go and wrestle with the barrel himself.

NAPA Valvoline
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catalo...R959_0006505617

$1654/ 55gallons- $30/gallon $7.50/qt

O'Reilly Pennzoil
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...3&ppt=C0162

$1189/ 55 gallons- $21.62/gallon $5.40/qt

Would be alot cheaper and efficient to get his oil changed outside his home if he insists on buying drums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back