best 0w-20 for my 15 forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any 0w20 will be fine. It does seem to be that those extending it to 7,500 notice the consumption more. The new 6,000mi interval is to minimize the perception of oil use. I started doing it in my OB just so the Mrs will not freak out. FYI, look at your warrant, Subie I think was still sneaking in 5 year, 60,000 powertrain warranty, so you might have to do it past 36K if you want to keep an warranty. I think that was the case for my '14OB... but I also had a goofy CPO where I bought a "used" vehicle that the dealer sold to themselves to meet a quota and put on a handful of miles.

The oil consumption is all over the place. I have a '14 OB, (and a '99), and going down the hall in my office, there is a 15 OB, an '12 OB, and a '15 Forester. From my small sample, I use a qt every 6K with Havoline, (which is about the same as my '99) and I do 80% city mileage. The '15 OB uses a quart every 3-4K with Mobil1 (90 highway but a BIG mountain climb), the '12 OB used minimal oil (M1), and the '15 Forester has yet to use enough over a long enough mileage to say for certain (on Dealer oil, likely Castrol).

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Heck, I'd be thrilled just to see the XT offered with a manual transmission.

They need to bring back the Lecacy GT first.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

smile.gif

The Levorg is pretty spiffy too.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

smile.gif

The Levorg is pretty spiffy too.

If we get it state-side, maybe. I just want a quick Sedan with a proper gearbox (and not forced to take on a German service premium). Heck, if the 3.6R was available in the manual, I would take it too. I am no longer in my 20s so the WRX crowd is less appealing.

From what I've seen, the oil consumption issue has been resolved in the 2015 model year vehicles. However, I don't stay on top of it, so continue to check your oil level more often then normal until you're comfortable that it's not consuming oil.

As for the oil to use. Traditionally non-turbo Subarus have been easy on oil, but I'm unsure about the new DI engines. I don't know how the DI engines will affect the oil, but it'll affect it regardless of what oil you use. So I suspect any name brand 0w-20 will serve you well. In my Subaru (non-DI engine) Valvoline (both SynPower and MaxLife full synthetic) was the smoothest running oil in my engine. I might switch to it after I use up my current stash of oil. Aside from that, any name brand synthetic will do you well. You could give M1/M1 EP a try and take advantage of the $12 rebate they have going on right now. Or just use your synthetic oil of choice, you really can't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back