Benelli SuperNova for Home Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just get a Saiga 12

http://www.k-var.com/shop/Saiga-12-gauge-Shotguns

saiga-12_007.jpg

Also Do not rule out the handy dandy lever action carbine for Home Defense.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
How many millions of people out there that will break in to your home to do you harm and couldn't care less about your shotgun racking.

I'm really struggling to understand what you are saying here. ??

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
I'm really struggling to understand what you are saying here.??

Not everyone will run from the sound of a shotgun being chambered.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
I'm really struggling to understand what you are saying here.??

Not everyone will run from the sound of a shotgun being chambered.

Yes, you are probably right. But from following the news reports I have seen, by far the majority of home intruders are not anticipating facing an armed home owner. Most will run when confronted by an armed home owner. There is a minority of home intruders that are armed. And in those cases, you may be right. It may be unwise to announce your position by pumping a shotgun. I guess I am intending on playing the odds, that by far, in most cases home intruders will run if they feel threatened.

It is something to think about, and perhaps consult some trained experts. If they recommend not giving position away, then a shotgun, juts like any other weapon, can be kept loaded with one in the chamber. Any weapon, except a revolver, will make enough noise to give position away, when making the action to chamber a round. But for me, I still strongly prefer a tactical shotgun over an AR-15.

Racking a shotgun to scare someone just lets them know you are armed. If they are armed, it takes your element of surprise away if they decide to confront you.

A 12ga slug will penetrate more walls than a 223 will. Even 000 Buckshot will go through multiple layers of sheet rock if you miss. If it will put a bad guy down it will go through walls...logic.

The only time an shotgun will be more maneuverable than an AR is if it has a pistol grip or a folding stock.

But the shotgun is also easier to hit your target with when in the real world situation when you need that first shot to hit the bad guy. So I would say a Mossberg 590 with 00 or 000 buckshot would do the trick nicely.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Olas
It'd need to be a helluva big house for me to even consider .223, just as much chance of killing a neighbour across the street the way those things over penetrate..
IMP the two best rounds for home defence are 12ga rifled slugs, and. 45 acp hollowpoints.

LMAO. You think a .223 over penetrates and then recommend a 12 gauge slug!!?? .223 is low weight and loses momentum fast after passing through walls. It rarely passes through a person while a slug will pass through a person and several walls.

That's what happens when I type too fast..I meant a hollow/frangible slug..

If it's a break in at night, then yes your intruder is expecting you to be there and possibly armed. There is a reason that most break ins happen during the work day. They don't want to meet anybody.
The ones that break in at night tend to be more violent, and possibly looking for trouble. They are the ones that will think you've been watching too much TV when you pump your shotgun.

A shotgun is not any easier to hit your target with, and you do have to aim. The spread from a shotgun with 00 buck and an 18.5 inch barrel is 8-10 inches at 25 yards. That actually makes it more important to aim so you don't have stray pellets missing your attacker. At 15 yards it is only about 6 inches.

ARs, and any rifle can have a barrel up to 2.5 inches shorter, and with a short stock will be smaller than any shotgun that has a stock (actually the so called pistol gripped shotguns, unless they came with the stock attached at the factory are NOT shotguns according to the ATF, they are pistol gripped firearms), and those suck to shoot. Can't really aim them, hurts the wrist on the pistol grip, and are only good for extremely close range and breaching doors.

A round from a 5.56 AR will have less penetration through walls than just about any handgun round or ANY slug. That includes the compressed zinc or copper powder door breaching slugs unless you're missed round happens to hit hard metal. Penetration is about momentum, not ft. pounds of energy or velocity.
Less than even 000 buckshot. High velocity and lightweight. Unless you're using something like M995 AP... which isn't exactly available. At all.

I have a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip and a tube of buck shot in the closet for HD. I, too, am looking for a good way to keep it bedside. I won't do it until I'm comfortable with a good system. We have a 5YO and an 8YO at home.

A pump shotgun of any brand is an expert's weapon. Recoil is significant (even with low recoil loads) which slows down follow-up shots, reloading is slow, mag capacity is low, ergonomics are mediocre at best. From my experience in 3-gun, the most common firearm to malfunction is the pump shotgun because users short-stroke them under stress. They are fairly cheap though.

That said, few rounds have the effect a load of 12ga buck has when delivered COM on a lightly attired attacker.

Never trust the myth that you don't have to aim a shotgun.

Never trust the myth that a bad guy will run away from the sound of your shotgun chambering a round.

Supernova is a good gun, but I don't find it significantly better than a 870, 590, or 500.

Regarding storing a loaded long gun, Stack-On makes in-wall "lockers" that fit between the studs of a wall. They install easily and cost around $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back