belts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Amazon has decent prices, especially considering free shipping on orders over $25.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
NAPA belts do not seem to last as long as oem.

Is there any auto manufacturer that makes its own timing belts? I was under the impression that they ALL buy belts from one of the better suppliers like Gates or Contitech, etc.

Gates makes belts for OEMs, as well as belts labeled Gates, NAPA, etc. However, the OEM products will be made to that mfr's specs, and may be of a higher quality.

the spec for my 528e is 60k miles/4 yrs. When I change them, the Conti belts look like they could do quite a few more miles. I change the tensioner too.

Since the 90s, OEM belts have been made with a new rubber compound called EPDM. These belts are designed to last much longer then their Neoprene predecessor.
Dayco has just introduced a new belt called the Poly Rib "W" profile belt. The rib has an additional groove in it to conform to slight misalignment on high mileage cars. Work pretty good and its EPDM.
Good luck

The longest lasting belts I see come from Continental or Mitsuboshi, but I don't see those belts in auto part stores.

That is why I typically buy Gates belts.

It's harder to identify worn belts today. The ribs don't usually crack like they did in the past. The ribs get worn or thinner which changes the rib profile or angle or the rib. Hard to see and not that obvious. The belt will slip and may cause some issues with the accessories.
The following companies manufacture timing belts, Dayco, Gates, Goodyear, Contitech and Mitsuboshi. I've been working with autoparts distributors for 18 years. Hope this info helps.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Has anyone else noticed that belts don't seem to last that long these days? I use NAPA (Gates) belts, but am open to trying a different brand if someone has a recommendation.

IMO, the belts from the factory last the longest because the pulleys are new. After 100K miles, your pulleys are worn and the replacement belts will not last as long (even if factory replacements) because of that. But, yea, there are some cheap replacements that are no where near the OEM quality.

One must also be suspect of the cheap pulleys that they put on replacement alternators, especially if they are of the old V-belt design. Some of your chain store replacements are the absolute worst.

No way! ContiTech belts really suck! I have a serpentine belt that has to be chaged out every 10K-15K miles. I see cracks on the new serpentine belt. The belt has less than 5K miles on the serpentine belt and already cracks! I have a Gates belt on order and it is not b/c the tension is too tight. I measured out the deflection. It is either Gates or Goodyear for me. Never tried Dayco. If anyone knows, what is the compostion of the ContiTech accesory and serpentine belts for Mercedes cars? Had a Motorcraft serpentine belt on a Explorer last 164K miles without any cracks or signs of going out. I replaced it anyways. Who make Motorcraft serpentine belts?

Last edited:
The contract for Motorcraft belts go out for bid. I think belt companies get a certain part number for a certain period of time. I do know from a friend that sells belts that Dayco and Gates supply motorcraft with their belts. Goodyear has no OE business.
I do agree that ContiTech belts suck! Just because it's a German company doesn't mean they are the best belt for Mercedes.

Originally Posted By: ludey
No way! ContiTech belts really suck! I have a serpentine belt that has to be chaged out every 10K-15K miles. I see cracks on the new serpentine belt. The belt has less than 5K miles on the serpentine belt and already cracks! I have a Gates belt on order and it is not b/c the tension is too tight. I measured out the deflection. It is either Gates or Goodyear for me. Never tried Dayco. If anyone knows, what is the compostion of the ContiTech accesory and serpentine belts for Mercedes cars? Had a Motorcraft serpentine belt on a Explorer last 164K miles without any cracks or signs of going out. I replaced it anyways. Who make Motorcraft serpentine belts?

I don't know that is happening to you, because I see so many factory issued conti-tech belts last 10 years.

Perhaps Continental sells a great belt to the OEM and a junk belt to the consumer?

I had one serpentine belt that, even after 11 years (60K), did not crack. But I did get squeal during startup and cold operation. It took me a while until I found that it stretched to the limit of the tensioner and needed to be replaced.

OK,my secret is out. I work for Dayco Products and been around the automotive business all my life. Here's some info that I know. Most of today's OEM belts are made of EPDM which is a long lasting compound that hardly ever crack. The ribs actually were from a V to more like a U shaped. Also, today nearly every belt manufacturer makes aftermarket belt out of this EPDM compound. I bet you may have installed some old stock from Conti. Lastly, Dayco and Gates share the Motorcraft business. Goodyear has no OE business.
I don't like conti either. Obvious reasons. Good luck

I've heard conti belts stretch sooner than other belts.
I hate dealing with their all-in-one timing belt kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back