One good looking serpentine belt

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
Decided to change the serpentine belt, idler and tensioner pulleys as I started to hear a bit if chirping during morning starts. The car has 90k miles and the belt is original. I don't think the belt was slipping, the noises were from the pulleys as they were very loose and there was visible grease loss on them.

I was genuinely surprised how good the belt looked. Probably the best looking used belt I've ever seen. No visible cracks anywhere, fibers or anything like that.

IMG_2954.JPEG

IMG_2957.JPEG

IMG_2956.JPEG

What kind of timing belt is that? Did it come off of the 2015 Grand Caravan in your signature? I've never seen a belt with that diamond pattern on the smooth side.

Manufacturers like Continental, Gates, etc rate a lot of their serpentine belts for 100k miles or so and with that, they have a safety rating built-in that would put them at 125-150k miles easily.

What kind of timing belt is that? Did it come off of the 2015 Grand Caravan in your signature? I've never seen a belt with that diamond pattern on the smooth side.
Yes, it stood out right away to me too.
It’s the original Mopar belt, not sure who makes it.
I replaced it with a continental belt and it was smooth.

I'm still running the original belt on my 2012 Camry with 185kmi, and no signs of cracking and still works fine. Only failure on that car has been a $22 oil pressure sender.

Yes, it stood out right away to me too.
It’s the original Mopar belt, not sure who makes it.
I replaced it with a continental belt and it was smooth.
The dealer belt can easily last 150K IME. Can’t say the same about any of the aftermarket ones.

I do them every 120k (miles) or at the
Same time as a timing belt. I don’t worry about the belt as much as the pulleys. If a pulley goes so does the belt. Not the other way around.

On some cars if the belt goes it gets wrapped around the crank and stuffed under the timing belt. I think it was one specific car that did this but I don't remember which make/model it was

Belts and hoses. Two things that have quietly gotten 100x better than they were in the last 20 years or so. 100k out of a belt, no problem. 20+ years out of a set of coolant hoses? Sure, my Accord still rolls at 270k and 20 years on original hoses.

Back