bald tires on dry roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than mod the tires, upgrade the stabilizer bars, or install if not equipped. My F150 did not have any stabilizer bars (AKA anti-sway bar), and I installed one in the front. Seriously improved cornering, which then resulted in accelerated tire wear as I whipped around corners with reckless abandon, for thrills.

Bluemax said it best: Tires get hard as they age, heat and age combine to greatly reduce the traction of the tire. A belted tire has lots of strength left under the rubber - assuming that is a quality tire that does not fail due to miles alone.
I would not worry about a blowout, but even a quick suprise thundershower could send you sliding on what seems like ice. This can happen at VERY low speeds on old,hard bald tires.

Tony,

You didn't tell us how old the tires were. Here's my standard advice:

Quote:
Recent bulletins from the tire industry indicate that tires degrade simply due to time. The age of a tire is important even if the tire is unused. There some disagreement over how to best express this age limitation, but my take is:

If you live in a hot climate (AZ, CA, NV, TX, and FL) then the limit is six years. If you live in a cold climate (MN, ND, WI, MT, etc), then the limit is 10 years. States in between are ..... ah ........ in between.

You are in one of the 5 states were time becomes more critical than mileage. As Fsskier said the rubber changes as it gets older - and that is not only true for the tread rubber, but also true for the rubber used internally.

So if the tires are older than 6 years old, then replace them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back