Bad Experience with Clay Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
After I wash a vehicle, I keep the vehicle wet with water and car wash soap and clay right after washing. I don't bother using any spray lubricants anymore. If I notice it drying out, I just spray it down again with the hose or use a foam sponge with a bucket of soap/water to wet down the next panel.

It saves me a step too in detailing.

Annual usage of a compound probably isn't a good idea. However, it could take up to 20-25 times of compounding before there is a problem, or it could happen very quickly because it depends on how much you remove on any given time.

Use a less aggressive pad will help and the least aggressive compound or polish is the best approach.

One other important aspect is how you use the bar.

You should NOT press down firmly when using the clay. Apply light pressure and let the clay do the work for you. Also when claying clay in the direction that the paint is applied to the car usually that is a front to back motion NOT side to side. I think most of the time there are scratches from mild clay it is user error applying too much pressure on the bar.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
After I wash a vehicle, I keep the vehicle wet with water and car wash soap and clay right after washing. I don't bother using any spray lubricants anymore. If I notice it drying out, I just spray it down again with the hose or use a foam sponge with a bucket of soap/water to wet down the next panel.

That how I've always done it.

Wash the car really good by hand, clean and refill the bucket with fresh warm water and car wash soap. This kepts the clay soft and the sudsy water provides lots of lubricant.

I also use an extra large clay bar so there is wide coverage and plenty to knead and fold. I'd suggest combining two bars if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back