Bad Experience with Clay Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of a klutz, so I'm not really great at detailing, so I'm looking for opinions with that in mind.

I've tried the clay bar, and I don't really understand the hype, but I did it anyway because everyone raves about them.

I've done it on 4 separate occasions over the last 2 years on 2 different vehicles.

I don't really feel any difference in the paint - I wash the car and the paint seems nice enough to me.

The last time I used it, I got some really nasty fine scratches on my hood. I have been careful about using enough lubricant and using small pieces of clay, so I think I must've overlooked something or I am just a klutz.

As a result, since I really don't seem to notice any benefit, and I had this bad experience, I think I'm done with claying my car.

For the car that stays in the garage, I'm going to stick with an annual polish and sealant, but for the car that sits outside, I feel like I need to do something more to bring back the paint.

What if I replace the clay step with Meguiar's ultimate compound? In other words, my annual full detail would be:

Wash -> M.U. compound -> Polish -> Sealant

I know compounding and clay bars don't do the same thing exactly, but due to my lack of skills, perhaps this is a safer method for me.

What do you think?

Clay should actually be the safest. Having said that I would use something less aggressive than UC. I would use 9 or fine cut cleaner or the commerical versions of these (maybe scratchx and colorx?).

I actually used the ScratchX to repair the clearcoat damage I incurred from the clay.

I hadn't considered it on the whole car, but I definitely will look at other compounds.

Maybe I should go back to claying and try to be more careful. I thought I was being reasonably cautious though....

I've used a clay bar for over 10 yrs with no scratches. I detail in spring and fall. Tips: wash car twice (I use Dawn for 2nd wash), then clay bar with plenty of lubricant, then I wash off.the residue.

If you drop the bar throw it away. Continually kneed the bar to refreshen after a couple of passes.

It makes my finish buttery smooth as it pulls off sap and [censored] which has adhered to the surface. You can tell using the plastic bag test as you will feel the bumps of containments on non-clayed surfaces.

I use a sealant ("old" AIO/SG) .

I for one would not be using a compound annually . the reason being you are removing a lot clear coat and after a few years it will become very thin. try to use the lightest polish you can to remove fine swirls and scratches ( if that is what you are using it for ) for your clay bar experience it sounds like you may want to be sure that you kneed the clay more as to get the clean side facing your paint. what you need is a good paint cleaner. most people ( even a lot of detailers ) have forgotten abut the value of a good paint cleaner. it sill deep clean the clear coat without removing the valuable clear coat the protects your paint. if your finish does not get a lot of scratches or deep marring a paint cleaner can be used at least once a year for a long time without sacrificing your clear coat. hit me up if you need a sample of some paint cleaner. can send you a sample for free.

Last edited:
Compound is far too harsh to use annually, at the detailing shop one of my friends works at all of the veterans said that after you clay a car you induce so many micro scratches that you should always buff after clay.

When you clay, be very liberal with the lube, and make sure you are kneading the clay after every panel to be sure you are folding any debris into the clay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love clay bar too. My Civic is due after 1 full year of commuting. I can't wait to do it actually, I just hope it's nice this weekend, I have been planning on doing it then.

I use a 3M clay bar, lots of soapy car wash as lube, works awesome for me.

Maybe I'm just overreacting to the microscratches caused by the clay.

They came out with scratchX pretty easily.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
Compound is far too harsh to use annually, at the detailing shop one of my friends works at all of the veterans said that after you clay a car you induce so many micro scratches that you should always buff after clay.

When you clay, be very liberal with the lube, and make sure you are kneading the clay after every panel to be sure you are folding any debris into the clay.

Doog, what do you do in place of it, if anything?

Originally Posted By: Doog
I am afraid to use a clay bar.

I recommend using the clay again. Get all new stuff, make sure it is a mild clay, wash well before using.
What kind of clay was it btw?

I wonder if the clay was dropped on the ground to cause all those scratches? Or maybe it was red clay which is more aggresive than the mild blue clay. One tip is to microwave the clay to warm it up and make more pliable when kneeding.

It definitely was not dropped, I think I just picked up too many contaminants and then did not knead it enough, or maybe didn't have enough lubricant?

It was Griot's garage clay. I used the same brand clay on other cars without this happening, so I really think I did something wrong to cause it. As a result, I'm just a little nervous to use clay again.

I think maybe it's your lubricant too. I find the best lubricant is just a spray bottle filled with distilled water and a half teaspoon of car wash soap, I find if you use detailer it tends to dissolve some of the clay and leave deposits. This simple formula gives plenty of lube for the clay. You shouldn't be scratching. I think your clay may be contaminated.

But also if you did damage the finish I find the best polish for this is Meguiars D151, it's an all in one and leaves a wax coat. Great stuff, removes scratches better than Scrath-x but doesn't wear down your paint like compound.

A clay bar will not scratch the paint unless the clay bar is contaminated. To see the most benefit of a clay bar one needs to completely clean a vehicle by hand, and not just a pressure washer. If you completely clean the vehicle, make sure there is not any large debris, and use a detailer spray for lubricant (and plenty of it) you will not get any scratches. Here are some quick pointers for detailing a vehicle:

- Use car soap rather than dish soap, as dish soap is stronger and will remove your wax in short order.
- Work in a shaded area.
- A clay bar will not remove scratches, but rather remove contaminates so you will be able to use compounds and polishes to their full effect.
- Always use the least aggressive method of polishing to remove swirls/scratches. Polish is much less aggressive than compound (which should only be used when an aggressive method is needed).
- Be sure to wipe down the vehicle before applying wax to get best results.

As far as product recommendations, I suggest sticking with Meguiars (but most other products work well). Their "Ultimate" line of products really are nice to work with.

FYI, there are different types of clay. Some are aggressive and will easily remove overspray and will mar (especially soft paints) and can induce scratching because of its aggressiveness, especially if you don't kneed it often. Other clay bars are moderate to mild. I also use Griot's clay and find it to be between moderate and mild and I like it a lot. Some vehicles have very soft paint and will mar easily despite the aggressiveness of clay.

Did you use enough quick detailer per section? When I first started claying years ago, I didn't use enough QD and it induced marring and streaking. You probably know this but always clay first the sections that aren't as dirty and work down to the dirtier sections.

Last edited:
I remove the parking lot rubs & paint transfers off my 85 yr old mothers car twice a year.

I keep a tub of rubbing compound & most recently a product called "Scratch Doctor" that i find works very well with a very fine abrasive that works very well however elbow grease is involved. I have simply applied with a slightly wetted paper towel.

41gAubI1ymL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
I used the Griot's quick detailer as a lubricant.

I really think the reason it did it was because I wasn't kneading the clay enough or not using ENOUGH lubricant. It was only one spot the size of a fist that was scratched. As I said, I did this 3 times before and never had this happen, so I think I just got lazy. Now I've learned my lesson. I'll try the clay again, knowing I can fix the scratches with scratchX or nufinish. Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses.

Originally Posted By: qwertydude
I think maybe it's your lubricant too. I find the best lubricant is just a spray bottle filled with distilled water and a half teaspoon of car wash soap, I find if you use detailer it tends to dissolve some of the clay and leave deposits. This simple formula gives plenty of lube for the clay. You shouldn't be scratching. I think your clay may be contaminated.

But also if you did damage the finish I find the best polish for this is Meguiars D151, it's an all in one and leaves a wax coat. Great stuff, removes scratches better than Scrath-x but doesn't wear down your paint like compound.

Capa, I think you may be right, I may have gotten lazy with the lubricant and kneading. I did this 3 times before and hadn't had issues.

Originally Posted By: Capa
FYI, there are different types of clay. Some are aggressive and will easily remove overspray and will mar (especially soft paints) and can induce scratching because of its aggressiveness, especially if you don't kneed it often. Other clay bars are moderate to mild. I also use Griot's clay and find it to be between moderate and mild and I like it a lot. Some vehicles have very soft paint and will mar easily despite the aggressiveness of clay.

Did you use enough quick detailer per section? When I first started claying years ago, I didn't use enough QD and it induced marring and streaking. You probably know this but always clay first the sections that aren't as dirty and work down to the dirtier sections.

I'd use Speed Shine, not Quick Detailer with the clay bar since that's what Griots Garage recommends. Speed Shine is fairly mild and slightly acidic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back