Automotive sacrilege, opinions on Wanli

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had our forst good rain since installing the Wanlis. I was very pleased with there performance. No, they are not a winter rain tire and will hydroplane, but they held very good in the corners at 65MPH. I live on the Oregon coast, I know where the water collects and runs and I know what to expect my car to do in these situations. Again, I am happy with these tires and they do everything I expect out of them.

I wonder how many people that complain about wet traction are using a heavy right foot in the rain with rwd.

Last edited:
If they are worse in the rain than winter tires then it is really bad. Winter tires are notorious in the wet.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss
If they are worse in the rain than winter tires then it is really bad. Winter tires are notorious in the wet.

Krzys
sorry for miscommunication, winter here is 9 months of rain. I cannot compair them to snow tires, but they are better than other tires I've had in the rain.

Originally Posted By: asand1

I wonder how many people that complain about wet traction are using a heavy right foot in the rain with rwd.

My tires are incredible in the rain, and I have a heavy right foot in a 400HP RWD sedan.

My snow tires were pretty awful (Blizzak's) and the Toyota T1 sports that the Pilot's replaced were down-right scary.

At 4,704 miles the Wanlis are still doing great. With the Sen Sen struts I recently istalled, I stick to the road like glue. I have not experienced any down pours and standing water yet, but wet pavement traction is good enough i havent experienced any slip at all. While spinning a tire leaving a stop is possible, it is rare that it happens anymore with the wider and stickier tires.

100_2091_zps1befa40b.jpg

100_2090_zps408f15fb.jpg

100_2089_zpsdc4e1995.jpg

100_2093_zps1045931d.jpg

Last edited:
Well we were predicted to get 7" of rain here this weekend. We got pretty close to it, and I had to drive in some real downpours, bad enough I could barely see with the wipers on high.
The Wanlis were outstanding. I didn't detect a bit of hydroplaning, and the lateral grip was still there.

Apparently you were not driving fast enough. Any tire can hydroplane, it is a question of speed and water depth.

Krzys

PS Happy that you are happy.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
Apparently you were not driving fast enough. Any tire can hydroplane, it is a question of speed and water depth.

Krzys

PS Happy that you are happy.

60mph.

Update;
At 22,200 miles I still have 6/32 and 5/32 tread. No bubbles, ply separation, cracking, or belt shifting. Tires still feel great, hold the road doing 60+ in corners wet or dry. Les Schwab warranties these tires at 30,000 miles and I expect them to do that with no problems.

Last edited:
Well, the Wanlis made it to 30,000 with no failures. I am retiring them for Federal SS 595s.

It's your car, so buy what you want...

But, would a more expensive, major-brand tire that lasts longer be cheaper on a per-mile basis than these cheap brands?

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but how much are you paying for these Wanli and Federal tires installed?

Having said that, I personally would choose Federal before Wanli.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
My wife's 328i came with "Triangle" Chinese tires on it and they were like driving on plastic. Wet performance was SCARY and dry traction was pathetic.

Was this a E46 or E90?

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Well, the Wanlis made it to 30,000 with no failures. I am retiring them for Federal SS 595s.

It's your car, so buy what you want...

But, would a more expensive, major-brand tire that lasts longer be cheaper on a per-mile basis than these cheap brands?

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but how much are you paying for these Wanli and Federal tires installed?

Having said that, I personally would choose Federal before Wanli.

Did the Wanli's still have some grip in the wet? Seems like 30k is a pretty short run, but that maybe that's the trade off to maintain wet grip?
I have 50k on some cheapie cooper starfire's and they are good practice for winter driving when its wet out... I will probably look for some mid-price tires when the time comes to replace these, unless the plan is to sell the car soon.

The Wanlis were down to the wear bars with the centers worn smooth, but still very grippy in the rain and were not offering to hydroplane. They only had 30K mileage warranty on them and I got what I paid for them.

This car has something like 317,000 miles on it. I will drive it until I cannot repair it anymore. At this point it is still in very good condition, you would think it was under 100K.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
My wife's 328i came with "Triangle" Chinese tires on it and they were like driving on plastic. Wet performance was SCARY and dry traction was pathetic.

Was this a E46 or E90?

E46.

The Wanlis were down to the wear bars with the centers worn smooth, but still very grippy in the rain and were not offering to hydroplane.

Since hydroplaning is a function of tread design and depth.. I'm not sure what you are saying there?

Starting out at a stopsign on wet road would be an example of wet traction which is the tread compound.

I wonder what the reaction would be if you put Chinese tires on a ten year old Crown Vic.........?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back