Automotive sacrilege, opinions on Wanli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finally buying tires for my 17x8 Mustang cobra rims, to go on my Nissan Maxima.
235/45 17 Wanli. Will post pictures tomorrow after the deed.

How it looks now

Wheels going on tomorrow

I may just leave the center caps off if I don't remove the
horses and paste on Nissan emblems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asand1
I'm finally buying tires for my 17x8 Mustang cobra rims, to go on my Nissan Maxima.
235/45 17 Wanli. Will post pictures tomorrow after the deed.

I have a set of OEM 18" 2009 Maxima wheels if your interested.

Wanli were one of the first super cheap tyres to enter the UK market, probably the best part of 10yrs ago now.

A Wanli tyre was once fitted to a Merc Sprinter Ambulance during the previous shift by the on call contractor, should have been a GoodYear at that time, I drove it down the road just after it had started to rain and thought I had a puncture it was that bad.

Checked the pressure and it was fine.

I then noticed the make and contacted the Duty Officer, net result was the contractor was called back and made to fit a proper tyre, the contract stated that it is Goodyear tyres or in an emergency a tyre of similar quality!

Once the tyre was replaced the vehicle felt normal again.

This may have been an exaggerated problem due to the rain after a lond dry spell causing the roads to be extra greasy and perhaps the previous tyre was damaged rather than a puncture and perhaps the geometry was slightly out.

But the only thing changed was the tyre and the vehicle felt fine.

Perhaps Wanli have improved over the years as this was back in 2006/7.

Also you might have less issues with a matched set.

But if the only way you can afford to upgrade your wheels is by fitting them with Wanli's would make me want to wait anther few weeks till I could afford decent tyres.

You would be surprised at the number of times I have been to an RTC and the one of the vehicles involved had a nice set of aftermarket bling alloys with a set of cheap tyres.

Every single cheap tire I have used has sucked in some way, usually to the point of being intolerable.

Every single expensive tire I have used has been good-to-excellent in all ways.

No exceptions. It's actually kind of weird.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Every single cheap tire I have used has sucked in some way, usually to the point of being intolerable.

Every single expensive tire I have used has been good-to-excellent in all ways.

No exceptions. It's actually kind of weird.

That's been my experience as well. I'd rather wait for a discount on expensive tires than pay full price for cheap tires.

I hope the Wanli tires work out!

Last edited:
The Chinese won't have to bother building nukes to flip at us. They'll just kill us one-by-one with substandard tires...

Last edited:
I'm so glad that people are willing to risk their lives, the lives of their family and the lives of those around them to save a few bucks
smirk.gif

At least they are proud of themselves, using a Chinese sounding name. Not hiding behind some brand associated with an established tire maker.

I'm more interested in the Mustang rims, they use a FWD offset now?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'm so glad that people are willing to risk their lives, the lives of their family and the lives of those around them to save a few bucks
smirk.gif

Everyone has to die sometime.

Originally Posted By: Doog
smirk.gif

That's a bit morbid, LOL!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog
smirk.gif

And of something, I'd prefer fried chicken to cheap tires though.

Opinions, don't do it - buy the guys 18" maxima wheels and put some decent tires on them...

Its been two years in the waiting. Two weeks would not make a difference. The tires getting replaced are 10yo weather checked wrecking yard tires with ply seperation. Much more dangerous than the Chinese tires going on.
I find it interesting that aside from one guy with a 7yo experience, no one else had any first hand info, but everyone had an opinion.

Originally Posted By: asand1
Its been two years in the waiting. Two weeks would not make a difference. The tires getting replaced are 10yo weather checked wrecking yard tires with ply seperation. Much more dangerous than the Chinese tires going on.
I find it interesting that aside from one guy with a 7yo experience, no one else had any first hand info, but everyone had an opinion.

My wife's 328i came with "Triangle" Chinese tires on it and they were like driving on plastic. Wet performance was SCARY and dry traction was pathetic.

Tires are the only point of contact between your vehicle and the road. The quality and performance of that contact IS something to be worried about.

The 10 year old weather checked "wrecking yard" tires certainly need to be replaced. But using that as some sort of strawman to justify the purchase of some cheap Chinese junk instead of some inexpensive brand-name tires is ridiculous.

Plug your tire size into tirerack and I bet you'd see a pile of brand-name tires that are plenty affordable for your application.

my 2c: keep the wheels you have now and put a set of Michelins on them. Tires, you get what you pay for.

If only there were some sort of "Department of Transportation" that required every tire sold here to be approved and have a logo stamped on the sidewall.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
The Chinese won't have to bother building nukes to flip at us. They'll just kill us one-by-one with substandard tires...
Apparently they have moped tire technology down pat.
smile.gif

Just remembered some real world experience from back in the day of wanting to look cool! Bought a set of [censored] nice, new wheels, they had cheap tires on them with a tread pattern that even looked REALLY cool...

Driving to work one day on winding, tight country roads in England, it was wet, took a bend that was always fine with the old wheels and Continental tires....it all went very wrong, did a 360 and then some, ended up in a ditch, half way thru a hedge. luckily nobody got hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back