Automotive sacrilege, opinions on Wanli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: asand1
At any rate I ordered the tires yesterday at 11 AM. If they are not satisfactory I'll go back and pay the difference for better tires.
If your mind is already made up, why waste time asking for opinions on those [censored] tires??? Never understood why people search for the cheapest tires...the only thing holding them to the road. I've used Nexen and they are the best bang for the buck..well used to be before they became fairly popular and expensive here. I typically ride Falken and Kumho.

I guess I should have asked for experiences and informed opinions. What I didn't ask for is " oh my God they're made in China and have to be total junk". Its too bad alot of people here talk just to hear themselves, rather than contribute something meaningful to a discussion.

I guess I should have asked for experiences and informed opinions. What I didn't ask for is " oh my God they're made in China and have to be total junk". Its too bad alot of people here talk just to hear themselves, rather than contribute something meaningful to a discussion.

But usually those two things go hand-in-hand. Last time I checked, most buy Chinese goods because they are cheap, not because they are high quality. And high quality goods that come from China aren't usually cheap (some Cisco gear, iPhone/iPad....etc).

You bought Chinese tires because they were inexpensive. Many people simply tried to point out that you could have spent a few bucks more and got a much better tire. I don't think that's talking to hear one's self talk, it is pretty sound advice really.

But in that vein, you aren't likely to find a lot of people who have experience with Chinese tires on this site. Most of us that DO have experience with them would be due to buying a vehicle or maintaining a vehicle that somebody else had put them on. Guys that are obsessed with their vehicles and the maintenance of those vehicles (the vast majority of people on this site) don't make it a habit to buy cheap tires, no-name oil and filters or anything else that would classify as automotive sacrilege, which of course was the title of this thread (so you obviously knew what you were getting into before the *bleep* hit the fan anyway). If Walmart or Dollarama had a forum, you'd probably find more experienced users there
wink.gif

Sacrilege was referring to putting mustang wheels on a Nissan. I've since decided to start a separate thread for that topic. Really I just wanted to know what to expect from the tires I'd already ordered.
I now expect them to be [censored], but still hope to be surprised. I did by them from Les Schwab with warranty so I have some recorse if they prove to be total junk and sxhwabs will have some feedback.

Sacrilege was referring to putting mustang wheels on a Nissan.

OH! LOL! I didn't think that was the bad part, LMAO!
grin.gif

Quote:
I've since decided to start a separate thread for that topic.

Which was a good idea.

Quote:
Really I just wanted to know what to expect from the tires I'd already ordered.
I now expect them to be [censored], but still hope to be surprised. I did by them from Les Schwab with warranty so I have some recorse if they prove to be total junk and sxhwabs will have some feedback.

I'm curious, and don't feel obligated to answer if you don't want to, but what was the thought process behind buying these tires?

I'm not racing so I don't need the best tires I can get, I don't even need the best bang for the Buck. I just need to drive to work at 60 MPH and a DOT approved z rated tire should be able to do it.

Do you plan to be able to swerve, stop, hold the road in the rain, run the tires for years without defects, not worry about losing air, or have tolerable levels of NVH?

If not, then yeah, any old DOT approved Z-rated tire should do...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Do you plan to be able to swerve, stop, hold the road in the rain, run the tires for years without defects, not worry about losing air, or have tolerable levels of NVH?

+1
lol.gif

I know it's just my opinion, but I steer clear of all Chinese products unless there is no other alternative. I try to buy American whenever possible.

My only complaint so far is that the Wanlis get flat spots over night. They smooth out after just a couple miles.
The wet and dry traction has improved over my old tires, and no less than any tire I've ran in my life. Cornering is immensely better due to tire size change and better tire condition.
Overall I am very pleased.

My only complaint so far is that the Wanlis get flat spots over night. They smooth out after just a couple miles.
The wet and dry traction has improved over my old tires, and no less than any tire I've ran in my life. Cornering is immensely better due to tire size change and better tire condition.

Try a set of Pilot Super Sport tires
wink.gif

the Wanlis get flat spots over night.

Wow. Really?

Kinda sounds like my generals....but they come out fine after a minute or too...

Glad to know. Folks jump in defending/justifying their expensive tire purchases. The truth is spending twice as much NEVER gives you twice as much performance. With few exceptions inexpensive tires give about 75% min performance of top tier counterparts. The thing is 98% of drive you only need about 10% of your tires performance.

Grip,stability, quiet,smoother ride, wear, keep pressure, stay in round/balance, help against road hazards/flats, usually better designed tread..when combined with better construction/material, better in weather. Much more than 10%

If you are happy with your purchase..glad to hear it. Keep buying the lower end tires. IMO they cost more in the long run because besides performance, they just don't last. Two sets of lower end tires (usually no or little mileage warranty)are more than a good set of more expensive tires..Time you pay for the second set w/balancing mounting etc.where is the deal/savings? Now if that is all the money you have at the time, and cannot wait to buy better titres...You buy what you can afford. No reason to justify that circumstance by trying to trash decent tires.

lol

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Glad to know. Folks jump in defending/justifying their expensive tire purchases. The truth is spending twice as much NEVER gives you twice as much performance. With few exceptions inexpensive tires give about 75% min performance of top tier counterparts. The thing is 98% of drive you only need about 10% of your tires performance.
You are kidding right???? Yeah you are definitely kidding...Wow, I didn't know that you owned a car that has the ability to fly to the destination for 90% of your travel, then drive and use your tires for the additional 10%.

The only point that I agree with is the spending part. I will never purchase super expensive tires just for the name. That's why I typically stay with best bang for buck tires. I've had expensive Michelins that wore/performed just as well as Nitto or Nexen tires. I currently have Falken tires, which will be replaced with Kumho ecsta ats.

Flat spotting overnight is a pretty serious problem IMO.

Years ago some nylon capped tires I owned (Yokohamas) would thump tumnp on cold mornings....then it would go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back