Automatic shut off of new vehicles upon idle?

If you say so. I have a Ram 1500 with start/stop. I concur with Critic, the engine is already running by the time I move my foot from the brake to the gas.
My wife's new Highlander (2022) is the first vehicle I have driven where it's almost undetectable. The starting is extremely quick as soon as you take your foot off the brake. It's physically impossible to hit the gas pedal before it starts. It would be the same if the motor was running at a stop and then you moved your foot to accelerate.

In order for this be a sensible discussion, you must compare an identical truck w/ESS to one w/o. That is the only way you can measure the financial benefit of ESS.
Perhaps. But you are missing the point.

I prefer older vehicles without the nanny tech, which you ARE paying for in new vehicles. I want a vehicle that works well and long term. Not bloated nanny technology that costs more money and restricts my freedoms to drive as I, the driver, deem correct. What is the cost of the additional motor and battery?

A quick look around the interwebs shows the 3.6 Pentastar ETorque is an above average engine. Eh... Did Jeep drop the eTorque? According to this article yes, but I don't know.

The eTorque system on the 3.6 was reportably abandoned by Chrysler on the Jeep a couple years ago, citing that it's too expensive and unreliable. https://offroadhack.com/jeep-3-6-etorque-problems/

"Why Did Jeep Discontinue Etorque?
In mid-2019, Jeep announced that it would discontinue its eTorque mild hybrid system on the 2020 Wrangler and Gladiator. The eTorque system consisted of a belt-driven motor/generator, a 48-volt battery pack, and a power control unit integrated into the transmission. It added up to 90 lb-ft of torque and improved fuel economy by about 8%.

So why did Jeep discontinue this seemingly promising technology? There are a few reasons. First, FCA (Jeep’s parent company) has invested heavily in electrification, with plans to launch 30 new electrified vehicles by 2022.

This includes fully electric vehicles as well as hybrids. With such a wide range of electrified vehicles in the pipeline, it makes sense to focus resources on developing those rather than continuing to produce a mild hybrid system for just one model. Second, the eTorque system was expensive, and Jeep likely wasn’t seeing enough of a return on investment to justify its continued use. Third, there were reliability issues with the eTorque system, which likely also played a role in Jeep’s decision to discontinue it. While the eTorque system showed promise, several factors led to its eventual demise."

Don't really get why people care so much about this and get so angry about it, you'd think it killed their family or something.

I have it, and like it. Since I do typical US sprawl driving I spend a lot of time stopped at lights, and it's a big gas saver when it saves me 5-10 minutes of idling per roundtrip commute. In a system where it's not seamless and noticeable I get disabling it, but I literally don't bother. I don't know how many times I can say that the starters using in ESS systems are heavier duty than normal starters, and there is no pandemic of starters dying all over the place because of ESS like has been doomsayed for the last 10+ years. I said this in another thread but seems like a lot of people here dislike anything that saves fuel.
Well it stacked and buried a 2nd battery in my Jeep
I‘ll call you when it‘s time to tear a bunch of electronics out to get to that bottom turd …

You might want to try driving one. Stellantis cites a 400 millisecond restart time for the engine and I'm inclined to agree. During ESS operation, engine restarts using the MGU.

Fix it again Tony. And no, I don't want to "try driving one" just to find out.
In fact, since history tends to repeat itself with falling sales and quality issues again, I'll give Stellantis five years max.

I’m curious how this works. Why would the crankshaft turn at a faster rate than any other engine?
MG1 in a Toyota hybrid can spin an engine at idle speed before fuel and spark is added. A regular 12V starter spins the engine around 200-300RPM, until the PCM based off CMP/CKP sensor signals senses it’s OK to supply fuel. The low oil pressure light doesn’t even come on after an oil change, unlike the second or two I’ve seen with a regular car.

While it’s almost unheard of, a Toyota hybrid can issue a code for a failed attempt to start its engine - the hybrid ECU watches for how long it takes for the ICE to start up.

I absolutely hate it. I wish I could take a hammer and pound the button that I have to use to shut it off (every time I drive)! What are your thoughts about this?
It's just another "solution" to what is basically a non existent problem. It most likely raises the cost of the vehicle more than you are going to save on gas.

Especially when you consider all the engineering and manufacturing time of all the parts. Plus the added complexity, assembly, and testing. Not to mention the cost of repairing it down the road after the warranty is long gone.

In my case, most everywhere I could possibly drive within the confines of my town, my car isn't going to burn a cup of gas idling. And even with people who drive in a lot of stop and go urban traffic, they would save far more if they planned their excursions more wisely, and drove a bit less by doing it.

This is just more "feel good" nonsense, to make "green people" along with the government, think we're "doing more" for the environment. A bit like banning gas stoves. Along with the whole silly EV craze that is consuming people today.

It's one thing to like all of that crap. And there is nothing wrong with liking unnecessarily complex technology..... Even if it doesn't really improve anything. Just stop trying to sell all of this junk as some type of obscure, "improvement".

While I understand the fuel/emissions savings in severe stop and go traffic, the odd stop sign and T intersection isn't gonna make much difference, and it's annoying as hell

First button I push in the XT4 after the start button, is the Start/Stop off button

For people who've been living under a rock, start/stop is far from a new technology or concept
It was available on some 1981 VW products

The only car I had stop/start in that I really didn't mind it was my 2020 BMW 520d. It was a 'mild hybrid' with an 11hp (I think?) start/generator. When you were coasting the starter/generator would put power into a small 48v battery that could then be used to assist you when you were accelerating. The same starter/generator was also be used for starting the engine. Starting was instant and seamless. Add to that excellent sound deadening and general insulation and it was almost undetectable.

....... For people who've been living under a rock, start/stop is far from a new technology or concept
It was available on some 1981 VW products
The fact that it's been around for decades, means absolutely nothing in terms of its usefulness or practically. In fact, it helps prove the exact opposite. If Start / Stop was so great, it would have been on every car years ago. And would have taken over the market in the process.

EV's have have been available on and off for over a century. They haven't taken over the market either. Not even close. If they did, or had any chance of doing so on their own, the government wouldn't be pushing them like mad.

When something shows a genuine improvement over what once was a proven standard, it quickly takes over the market, and it then becomes the proven standard.

Transistors replacing vacuum tubes, and LED light bulbs replacing energy wasting incandescents and fluorescents come to mind. Same with picture tube TV's being quickly replaced by large LED flat screens.

I could go on and on. But every now and then something like Start / Stop pops up, and much like a swarm of mosquitos at a backyard barbeque, just won't go away.

Or, as in the case of both Start / Stop and EV's, keeps trying to come back. Offering the same issues as they always have.... Just on a new bunch of consumers, that they can hopefully brainwash this time around.

Last edited:
It's been knocked around here from time to time. Much like the whole EV issue has.

Now if they bought a Chevy volt they’d hate EVs and start stop less.

As much as I hate start stop in a “regular” vehicle because it always seems jerky (at least in a newer Equinox I’ve driven) the Volt has a fantastic, seamless, smooth implementation of start stop.

You get it from the bottom. Not that hard.
I know the options … Point is I don’t need it - sad joke of a feature …
It‘s an added expense - 2 batteries, drives early change out, and will be buying costly AGM’s like it or not …

The start/stop stuff is more for manufacturer cafe credits than savings for the end user.

The cost of the tech goes straight to the cost of the vehicle, the credits go straight to the manufacturer and all we have to do is bicker over the internet how great/awful it is. They laugh all they way to the bank in the end.

The start/stop stuff is more for manufacturer cafe credits than savings for the end user.

The cost of the tech goes straight to the cost of the vehicle, the credits go straight to the manufacturer and all we have to do is bicker over the internet how great/awful it is. They laugh all they way to the bank in the end.
And your taxes go up, because the government pays the Cafe credits.

Pretty low on folks who bought a vehicle to get S/S …
I‘m just glad to have the kill switches especially when there is no lag at a stop sign.

That's just it. The consumer is always the one who pays for all of this crap...... One way or another.
I know that HD trucks (F250/350, 2500/3500s etc.) cost a little more, usually about $5,000 plus tax on $5k, but imo it's worth it not to have the cylinder dropping, start/stop "technology" or computer generated engine noises emitting from the speakers.
In addition to serviceable steering, driveline and suspension, better tires and whatnot, you get a longer lasting pos.

Back