Autocross '09 Subaru WRX, turbocharged...oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the engine replacements that Subaru had been dealing with regarding the '08 WRX and STi's, and the reduced OCI to 3750miles, I would like to see some suggestions for a good synthetic oil for a street-driven and autocross 2009 WRX. The changes for this year is increased boost and suspension changes. It will be raced across the country in D-Stock class, so no boost/engine changes, just racing-oriented struts and a front sway bar, along with R-compound tires.

For those not familiar, autocrossing involves short bursts of 100% throttle with little to no warm-up or cool-down. ProSolo adds the increased trauma of drag-strip launches (12 per driver) on a mirror-image course. There will be two drivers, possibly 3 if we field a Lady in the indexed Ladies class.

Cost is not a worry, and neither is availability. Suggestions?

Redline. Any 30-weight variant.

Amsoil RD 30.

If you trust it, maybe an RLI custom-blended 30-weight.

We run a 04 WRX wagon locally... Dstock, SM and now ESP. For the last few years... All on Amsoil 5 w40 euro. Works great for us... Even the SSO 5 w 30 should be fine... Our engines are really not hard on oil, even with the boost turned up... It is a lack of having the right amount of oil and not changing it out soon enough that has caused some issues... Not to mention turning the boost up. :)

I'd be more concerned about the trans... We still have our original trans, but then again we don't drive it like a Mustang... We also use Amsoil in the trans and rear...

I would stay away from 30 weight if you are going to be seeing a lot of heat/boost. My tuned STi seems to like RTS 5w40, I recently had an OA done on it and everything looked great. I only had 1.5k miles on the oil but there was also an hour and a half of track time.

So I would go with a good 5W40

Redline 10w-30. It can take it.

For events, don't go any thicker than that if you want to keep the spool up competitive.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Redline. Any 30-weight variant.

Amsoil RD 30.

If you trust it, maybe an RLI custom-blended 30-weight.

+1
19.gif
11.gif

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back