Rotella T4 15w40 + Lucas in a 93 Corvette Autocross Race Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're sure about what oil to use, then what's this thread about - ??. 😄
Sharing the story of the car and the prior owner’s oil strategy. Followed it up with a UOA in another post. Since the prior owner used Lucas I knew that would get everyone’s panties in a bunch. Reliably, it did. And, the UOA was excellent. Good fun.

1000007529.jpg

Sharing the story of the car and the prior owner’s oil strategy. Followed it up with a UOA in another post. Since the prior owner used Lucas I knew that would get everyone’s panties in a bunch. Reliably, it did. And, the UOA was excellent. Good fun.

Realize that a UOA can be excellent, and then a few hundred miles later the engine could self destruct. Realize what a UOA can and cannot show. There was a member on here, and I will not give his name out, but he had really good UOA's, of course I do not do the UOA thing, so I really do not know what is good or what is bad. LOL

Well this members engine had some failure that caused the engine to seize.

Realize that telling a story about 15W-40 with Lucas Oil Additive is not going to go over well on this board. Thick oil Thick Additive!
Even 5W-30 with Lucas Oil Additive would not fly here.

I will put this another way, I have 2 certain fuel additives that I use, but members do not want to hear about them and it would not fly on this Board. I think they work great, it could be in my head. I also have a 2 stroke oil that I think is the greatest 2 stroke oil for lawn equipment, but nobody cares to hear the story, and again why I like it could be in my head.

Guess what, I think Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 is the best oil out there, I cannot prove it, and nobody wants to hear the story. I realize if I used HPL oil I would think it is better than what I am using now.

We are now up to page 10! LOL

^^^ What's the source of that information oil viscosity vs clearance & oil temps? Ford Coyote V8s have rod big end bearing clearances of 0.0010 to 0.0015 inch, and in normal street driving the oil gets to 200-220F. There's no way any guy with a Coyote that knows anything about oil and Tribology is going to be running 0W-10 oil. And IMO, xW-20 isn't ideal when oil temps are over 220F as this table shows.

Also, motorcycles have pretty tight journal bearings (in the same 0.0010 to 0.0015 range), and they all call for xW-40 (ideal viscosity) or xW-50. Nobody in their right mind would be running a xW-20 in a high performance motorcycle engine.

1693686562722.png

Last edited:
So the person who developed the xyz generation of Corvette built 30 years ago says use a particular oil. Big deal. He's wrong. Everyone else here is correct. Move on, put whatever you want in. Thanks for sharing.

I do sincerely appreciate your oil filter analysis, but this chasing your own tail nonsense is.. nonsense. Oh, and enjoy your new vette, and try not to blow it up, but if you do make a new thread.

Realize that a UOA can be excellent, and then a few hundred miles later the engine could self destruct. Realize what a UOA can and cannot show. There was a member on here, and I will not give his name out, but he had really good UOA's, of course I do not do the UOA thing, so I really do not know what is good or what is bad. LOL

Well this members engine had some failure that caused the engine to seize.

Realize that telling a story about 15W-40 with Lucas Oil Additive is not going to go over well on this board. Thick oil Thick Additive!
Even 5W-30 with Lucas Oil Additive would not fly here.

I will put this another way, I have 2 certain fuel additives that I use, but members do not want to hear about them and it would not fly on this Board. I think they work great, it could be in my head. I also have a 2 stroke oil that I think is the greatest 2 stroke oil for lawn equipment, but nobody cares to hear the story, and again why I like it could be in my head.

Guess what, I think Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 is the best oil out there, I cannot prove it, and nobody wants to hear the story. I realize if I used HPL oil I would think it is better than what I am using now.

We are now up to page 10! LOL
Not true. I want to know your secret two stroke oil and fuel additives.
I like to experiment, so I’m going to try VII free Chevron Supreme SAE 40, API SP in a 2022 3.6L Acadia. It’s either a 20W40 or 25W40. Good down to freezing, maybe lower.

40C 116.2
100C 13.4
150C 3.9
Flash point 272C !!
Noack is probably around 4-5

How would that oil work in the Corvette being discussed?
Not exotic enough for this crowd.

I’ll have to try it as a two stroke oil at 32:1 in three Husqvarna XP chainsaws.

Not true. I want to know your secret two stroke oil and fuel additives.
I like to experiment, so I’m going to try VII free Chevron Supreme SAE 40, API SP in a 2022 3.6L Acadia. It’s either a 20W40 or 25W40. Good down to freezing, maybe lower.

40C 116.2
100C 13.4
150C 3.9
Flash point 272C !!
Noack is probably around 4-5

How would that oil work in the Corvette being discussed?
Not exotic enough for this crowd.

I’ll have to try it as a two stroke oil at 32:1 in three Husqvarna XP chainsaws.

No Chevron oil has a NOACK of 4 or 5, the only oil that comes close to those NOACK Numbers would be the oils from HPL.

If you want 2 know my secret 2 stroke oil and fuel additives you will 2 Pm me.

Chevron VII free, really!

I think you would have better luck with Echo Chainsaws.

32:1, I think you will have better luck with Amsoil Saber Pro at 40:1

I gave 1 of my secrets away, well, Coors Light will do that 2 me, if I was drinking Sam Adams Boston Lager I would have given the other secret away.

What 2 stroke oil are you using in your Chainsaws?

No Chevron oil has a NOACK of 4 or 5, the only oil that comes close to those NOACK Numbers would be the oils from HPL.

I gave 1 of my secrets away, well, Coors Light will do that 2 me, if I was drinking Sam Adams Boston Lager I would have given the other secret away.

Shell Ultra Synthetic either the PWC or snowmobile, same product different label, EG-D 32:1 with Esso marine E0 dyed premium. Husky FR 336 weed whacker, XP 550, XP 562 and XP 543 plus an Echo CS 4510 that I bought for $125 at a garage sale. It was like new, but had been run without chain oil and the sprocket nose had not been lubed. The 562 is the worst saw I’ve ever owned for starting and hot starting. Maybe it’s the auto tune?
My old boy is a CD285. I need a pole saw before a bigger chainsaw.
Bud Lite is almost free in Canada.
I wonder why?

What would the Noack of a group 2 mono grade be?

Where do I send the case(s) too? (Boston Lager & Yuengling)

So the person who developed the xyz generation of Corvette built 30 years ago says use a particular oil. Big deal. He's wrong. Everyone else here is correct.
We pledge allegiance, to 5w30 …
(on page 10 of this thread and forevermore)

Fwiw - before I started this thread all of my Corvettes were on 18cSt. In the original post I said “I'm thinking I'll just go with Mobil 1 15w50 and no additive”. I also have some Supercar 5w50 on the shelf and if I were to run something else it’d be that 18cSt oil.

64% of the 193 posts in this thread have been trying to convince me use a lighter oil.

Endlessly doing something and making no progress = the 5w30 army’s never-ending posting. I was happy with 18cSt before this thread started and my Corvettes and I still are 😉

Fwiw - before I started this thread all of my Corvettes were on 18cSt. In the original post I said “I'm thinking I'll just go with Mobil 1 15w50 and no additive”. I also have some Supercar 5w50 on the shelf and if I were to run something else it’d be that 18cSt oil.

64% of the 193 posts in this thread have been trying to convince me use a lighter oil.

Endlessly doing something and making no progress = the 5w30 army’s never-ending posting. I was happy with 18cSt before this thread started and my Corvettes and I still are 😉
You've been misconstuding everyone's comments and continue to do so. You just want some sort of self affirmation that using 15w50 is correct which you obviously don't need from any of us and haven't since the beginning. Now you are just trolling for trolling sake. You did the same thing in the UOA portion about running Lucas as in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

No one cares what a XYZ states in '89 when Corvette was built as oil then is significantly different than oil now. No one also cares what Calloway or Lingenfelter state as the '89 was built by neither of them and not modified to that extent like the'92. Times change and so does oil.

You made your mind up before that post was even submitted and basically just wanted to argue with everyone otherwise. 5w30 for mundane tooling around town and Auto X is more than enough protection and 100% is, heck using a well rounded like 0w40 would be even better perhaps? If you are doing sustained tracks days then sure maybe a higher weight would be prudent. That's all ANYONE said...and yet you continue to act like we're holding a gun to your head.

Go troll somewhere else, seriously.

Nobody is trying to convince you to do anything. Nobody cares which oil you run at autocross. You're fishing for attention.

The info is the same as the Driven Racing Oils chart.
I agree and would use the chart as a minimum viscosity chart for temp/clearances.
I would also question what the main bearing clearances are for the engine in question as well and if the mains require a higher viscosity then that would typically supersede the rod bearing info on this chart. I typically find rod bearing clearances to be tighter than typical main bearing clearances.

^^^ What's the source of that information oil viscosity vs clearance & oil temps? Ford Coyote V8s have rod big end bearing clearances of 0.0010 to 0.0015 inch, and in normal street driving the oil gets to 200-220F. There's no way any guy with a Coyote that knows anything about oil and Tribology is going to be running 0W-10 oil. And IMO, xW-20 isn't ideal when oil temps are over 220F as this table shows.

Also, motorcycles have pretty tight journal bearings (in the same 0.0010 to 0.0015 range), and they all call for xW-40 (ideal viscosity) or xW-50. Nobody in their right mind would be running a xW-20 in a high performance motorcycle engine.

View attachment 176507
The info is the same as the Driven Racing Oils chart.
I agree and would use the chart as a minimum viscosity chart for temp/clearances.
I would also question what the main bearing clearances are for the engine in question as well and if the mains require a higher viscosity then that would typically supersede the rod bearing info on this chart. I typically find rod bearing clearances to be tighter than typical main bearing clearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back