Auto-Rx test, 4 ounce dose

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are starting a new test. These things can not be done over night and picking the right car is important. Right car meaning someone driving in a pattern we are looking for and someone that will come in for the oil change at the right mileage.

This is a 4 ounce test. I have some experience with 3 vs 4 ounce doses and in dealing with Frank it appears that 3 ounces is a good maintenance dose but 4 ounces in a 4-5 quart system hits a sweet spot for some additional Auto-Rx benefits, that is friction reduction. We are finding that it is useful to add that extra ounce. It's been true in tests run on a Volvo that is used for a 360 mile a week commute. The car is in very good shape and gained a 5 percent increase in mileage but it took until the end of the second tank of fuel to realize the change. This is another thing that Auto-Rx suffers from. It is not a product that give one instant gratification as claimed by other products. This just may be because there is no such thing as an immediate turn around in cleaning or fuel mileage or friction reduction.

One note about fuel mileage with that Volvo. It was driven to Phoenix from Vista California and back over the week end. 100F and driven with the flow of traffic in the desert at 80-90 mph. Over similar trips last year the car got a 5 percent improvement in mileage at speed with the a/c running full blast. This is a black turbo wagon. This trip has been made at least a dozen times of the past couple of years and the mileage is checked by the driver every trip. This increase was realized over the same car using a 3 ounce maintenance dose.

Again, I think that 4 ounces in a 4-5 quart sump is the sweet spot for the maintenance dose. Auto-Rx does more than just keep the crud down.

Looks like the FM properties take a bit to set in. I'd like to try this with bruce's 0w-10 oil in my jeep. I'll establish a reasonable baseline over the first 5k OCI and then do an oil change with new product and see what higher yields can be had. It may be shaving onions though. In my case the lighter oil already does a decent job of turning a 4 day fill up to a 5 day fill up (not really 20% increase obviously - real numbers move 17.5 averages to about 20 mpg).

You appear to feel that the sump volume works the dosage here. This is surely sensible in most reasoning. Have you pondered, since we're into the boundary layer here, that internal surface area is the trumping card in the deck?? Just curious on your take here.

Here are my thoughts. If you are cleaning, that is using the clean/rinse method the engine and how much work there is to do is what determines the use of Auto-Rx. If you are doing the maintenance dose then you have to consider the amount of oil and so far it appears that 4 ounces in 4 to 5 quarts of oil hits a good balance so that you not only help to keep your engine clean but now you gain some anti-wear capabilities of Auto-Rx. These gains that I have seen with 4 ounce dosing has all been with synthetic oil by the way.

I'm thinking about trying a one ounce does in a quart for my lawn mower that uses Red Line 5w-30 and checking temps with an IR gun.

Barkerman, If I read you correct, it is your opinion that the concentration of ARX used for the maintenance dose to realize the potential for mileage gains is related to the concentration in the oil. Therefor getting close to an ounce per quart of sump capacity maximizes the lubricity aspects of ARX, beyond cleaning and dispersing capabilities.

I have always noticed that the wear metals were always extremely low when folks have done the full blown cleaning dose rate. You may be on to something here. Keep us posted.

Barkerman, If I read you correct, it is your opinion that the concentration of ARX used for the maintenance dose to realize the potential for mileage gains is related to the concentration in the oil. Therefor getting close to an ounce per quart of sump capacity maximizes the lubricity aspects of ARX, beyond cleaning and dispersing capabilities.

I have always noticed that the wear metals were always extremely low when folks have done the full blown cleaning dose rate. You may be on to something here. Keep us posted.

Ah ..the system that would carry on if there wasn't enough anti-foaming agents in the oil. Tony (our departed board owner) brought this up when a member couldn't figure out why his PS carried on (rough running) until he changed his oil. Oils have improved since then.

I only had 4oz of ARX here, so I only used 2oz per 4q change. I want to stretch it out over 2 changes.

I have 4 oz in my cycle though, it's a 1991 and can use a cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back