Interesting Liquimoly video with a glimpse at additive testing

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
I found this interesting - at least that they showed a glimpse of some additive testing equipment (b/c we often argue about this...er...discuss this here...what testing happens for these things) for both the friction modifiers and fuel additives. I realize @hrv will laugh react immediately so to get that out of the way I've pre-laugh reacted to this post 🤣 🤣 🤣

I found this interesting - at least that they showed a glimpse of some additive testing equipment (b/c we often argue about this...er...discuss this here...what testing happens for these things) for both the friction modifiers and fuel additives. I realize @hrv will laugh react immediately so to get that out of the way I've pre-laugh reacted to this post 🤣 🤣 🤣

Schlangenol....

What kind of gas are they running if they say to use it every 4000km? Do you really need this if you always run Top Tier premium?

What kind of gas are they running if they say to use it every 4000km? Do you really need this if you always run Top Tier premium?
I use it every oil change.

Well I used ceratec religiously since my car was 6k miles old. The car is now 88k miles suffers the same piston wear and oil burning as the folks who haven't used anything besides changing oil. So from now on I am done with liquimoly products. Total waste of $$$$$ in my own personal experience. I bought 5 ceratecs and 3 MOS2 to use between ceratec fills. So that's a pit $200 wasted.

I used ceratec religiously in both of the cars one was Toyota (just sold it) and the Volvo. Attached are the proof pics so people won't call me a liar. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230809-224635.jpg
    Screenshot_20230809-224635.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20230809-224736.jpg
    Screenshot_20230809-224736.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Well I used ceratec religiously since my car was 6k miles old. The car is now 88k miles suffers the same piston wear and oil burning as the folks who haven't used anything besides changing oil. So from now on I am done with liquimoly products. Total waste of $$$$$ in my own personal experience. I bought 5 ceratecs and 3 MOS2 to use between ceratec fills. So that's a pit $200 wasted.
Which car is that?

Which car is that?
2015.5 Volvo xc60 there is a class action lawsuit against them do to soft piston rings that were used in the 2012-2016 (or 17) models. The rings were chosen to pass the emissions standards and the fuel economy standards but alas they are prone to getting stuck and etching away the piston walls.

2015.5 Volvo xc60 there is a class action lawsuit against them do to soft piston rings that were used in the 2012-2016 (or 17) models. The rings were chosen to pass the emissions standards and the fuel economy standards but alas they are prone to getting stuck and etching away the piston walls.
Piston ring grooves or cylinder walls?

Piston ring grooves or cylinder walls?
Honestly I am not certain. Here is the link to the lawsuit.

I used ceratec religiously in both of the cars one was Toyota (just sold it) and the Volvo. Attached are the proof pics so people won't call me a liar. :)
Ceratec is intended to be used at 30K mi intervals so that's on you that used so much. The idea is friction reduction not ring deposit preservation.

Ceratec is intended to be used at 30K mi intervals so that's on you that used so much. The idea is friction reduction not ring deposit preservation.
I was hoping that friction reduction would reduce the stuck ring grove formation. But yeah the expenditure is on me. I fell into the fallacy of if 1 qt is good then 5 qt must be amazing!

$200 wasted and possibly an engine.

Reactions: hrv
The use (overuse really) of these friction modifiers had nothing to do with this oil consumption issue.
A tear down will tell the whole story. My bet is the rings are all coked up, carbon, solids, a combo of the two? It would be interesting for sure. Many additives have directions on the label for a reason.

a lot of MARKETING these days, some true + others not so much!! IMO a lot of cost cutting + TRYING to get better MPGS while meeting emissions can be a problem, but once warranties are gone manufacturers care LESS!!

Back