Auto-Rx - oil still clean after 500 miles ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well unless you purchased the extended waranty your is up. GM has a redesigned set of rings for the N.Star engine. For customers that complain of oil usuage 1 quart per 1000 is pretty normal for this maldesigned piston and ring setup. First the dealer is going to want to do a consumption test. They will fill it with dino oil and tell you to drive it as you normaly would. Then they are going to check it every 1000 miles. To see how much it uses. If it exceeds 1 qt. per 1000 miles they will replace your rings free of charge. Talk to your cadilac dealer about this. Your Area Service Manager might ok this without question as it is quite common. They will propably want to try top end cleaning first. You can probably cut they oil usuage by 60%-70% by switching to Redline.

Hmm, that's two recommendations for Redline already. Is there really nothing cheaper that will work as well in the Northstar?

Keith.

Hey Keith,
Thanks for the pictures. Why wife has a Northstar in a 98 Deville.We have found it best to run a cleaning of ARX every 4th oil change. Has kept oil consumption down to 1 qt. per 3000 miles with dino. It is definitely a design issue. Why else would they hang an 8 quart oil pan on the bottom.
Actually down a quart in a pan that size is no big deal. Good luck with yours.

Rick the 8-11 quart oil pan(depending on aplication) is their to allow extended drain intervals. The greater the volume of oil the greater the total volume of contaimanation it takes to require service. It is kind like platnium plugs. The platnium plugs do nothing to enhance performance but they do extend the service interval to maintain OEM perormance levels.SO instead of constantly cleaning and regaping or haveing to replace every 30,000 miles the owner can now go 100,000-140,000 miles with one less thing to replace.

quote:

Originally posted by keith:
Thanks, Ken2, I certainly get different results on the flip side:

flip side

The oil flows opposite way to what I expected, LOL.

Now - how does that look for 1000 miles? I kept the Delvac/Auto-Rx cocktail in there with a new K&N oil filter. Should I run this out an extra 1000 miles to 2000 miles total?

Thanks,
Keith.

Maybe it's just me, but I think I see metal shavings in this picture. Can anyone comment??
Rick

I agree with John Browning on this one. The Northstar is a 4.6 v8, but holds 7.5-8.5 quarts of oil depending on how well you drain it. That is a **** of a lot of oil for that engine. Now it will take a lot longer for that amount of oil to get dirty, compared to if that engine only held 4 quarts of oil. The huge oil capacity on that engine was also used to help cooling, the more the oil it has the more it will take to make that oil get too hot. I don't think you should have to worry about that engine getting nasty any time soon. Looks like it is clean as a whistle in those pictures.

Keith how many ounces of Auto-Rx in your "North Star Engine ? Rick 20 has right idea. 8 quarts of oil calls for 16 ounces of Auto-Rx. If you using one bottle which is 12 ounces e-mail
[email protected] and i will give a application correction.

I take it back! I guess my 420SEL was not as clean as I thought as I saw much more "grit" deposited in the filter folds (on the outside
shocked.gif
) than keith.

Of course, there is a difference in our mileage vis'-a-vis' 55K vs. 130+K. No question that I'm going for a second full 16 oz. treatment when the miles hit approx. 750 from the next scheduled oil & filter change @ 135k. If I get as much as his pictures are showing along with a change in oil color (darkening) it is MONEY WELL SPENT (IMHO)!

I don't see metal shavings, I see "grit" in his "flip side" pic. I don't want either one in my engines if I can get it out without tearing them down.
nono.gif

That does seem to be an un-sludged example, as per Terry's comment.

Cheers!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back