Auto-RX Oil and Filter Pics (2nd Clean Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I would have done this on my first go round, but anyway. Here are some pics of my oil filter, oil, and a new filter.

Vehicle: 1995 BMW M3, 3.0l I6, approx 123,000 miles
Oil: Valvoline 10W-40
Filter: BMW OEM

As this is my first time doing this, I have comments, but no other evidence.

As you can see the filter (1350 miles in the ARX clean phase) looks significantly darker (though I do not know if this will have happened the same w/o ARX)
12707newoldautorxsi5.jpg

Here, the oil is definitely darker as well, also I noticed some black flakes/specs in it which can be see also (again, do not know if this is normal or due to the ARX)

12707oilautorxuf3.jpg

There is still a soft thin coating of material in the oil filter canister (I assume this is varnish, but have heard varnish talked about as a stain, so I do not know for sure)

I will post more pics after the rinse phase.

Frank, I wouldn't say there is crud between the pleats, as nothing is clogged up, there are deposits on the pleats, and of course the filter is dark as all get out.

I will post more pictures after the rinse phase.

Also, after letting the oil sit in my garage on the paper plate, the flakes and specs are much more noticeable. So much, that I am concerned (is this crud removed by ARX or is this engine wear)

Remember this is my second treatment cycle.

Thanks.

If it's the same thing I got in my phases you should be able to squeeze them between yuor fingers. If you squeeze and they rip a small hole in your finger, you will know your engine is in trouble.

On the left, 1500 Miles into the clean phase w/ ARX
In the middle, fresh Valvoline 10w-40
On the right, Mystery Guest Oil (can someone really tell just by looking?)

sidebysideop0.jpg

Precisely what I had in my experiment which I have posted here wit pics.
My rinse (2nd) phase did not produce as many carbonated particles as did he clean (1st) phase. I was speculating at the time that there was nothing more to clean, although we know that the clean phase loosens everything up and the rinse phase carries it away.

Good job in documenting.

I don't understand the rinse vs clean thing. I have seen stated many times that the rinse phase clogs the filter more, etc. But during my first clean phase the oil at the end was much darker than the oil at the end of the rinse phase (I did use different weight oils). Perhaps, the larger deposits come out in the rinse phase, get trapped by the filter, thus not making the oil as dark. This time, I am using exactly the same oil for both phases, we will see how it goes.

Quote:

Would be interesting to see some before ARX filter and oil pics so that an accurate assessment of the situation could be made.
coffee.gif

The before and after filter pics are the first post, also showing some "after" oil. The before and after oil pics are the ones in the jars.

Quote:

Quote:

Would be interesting to see some before ARX filter and oil pics so that an accurate assessment of the situation could be made.
coffee.gif

The before and after filter pics are the first post, also showing some "after" oil. The before and after oil pics are the ones in the jars.

If you mean
1)"before and after" oil and filter prior to using ARX, then 2)"before and after" oil and filter during ARX applications, then
3)"before and after" oil and filter after ARX applications,

Then, I do not have #1 (and can't put that genie back in the bottle). Currently being posted is #2 (from the second application). I will subsequently post #3.

This raises an interesting question: should I use the same Dino on the oil fill after the rinse phase? Otherwise I will be comparing the filter and oil running on GC, to the oil which was used in the rinse abnd clean phases (Valvoline 10W-40)

I am referring to pictures of the previous OCI's oil and filter. Without knowing what the oil and filter before you did the ARX looked like, there isn't much way to correctly differentiate, or be able to say that the filter is clogged more or the oil is darker than the ARX oil.

But it is Gold GC, even the Valvoline has some slight green to it.

Quote:

I am referring to pictures of the previous OCI's oil and filter. Without knowing what the oil and filter before you did the ARX looked like, there isn't much way to correctly differentiate, or be able to say that the filter is clogged more or the oil is darker than the ARX oil.

Thats what I figured, (see #1) in my prior response. We will be able to see if the filter is more/less clogged in the tests after the ARX application.

However, assuming the filter is less clogged, and the oil doesn't appear as dirty, one could argue that the ARX itself was responsible for clogging the filter (as opposed to anything cleaned by the ARX).

I could do a UOA of the dirty oil, would this help out in anyway? i.e. detect the amount of carbon, sludge, etc?

Quote:

But it is Gold GC, even the Valvoline has some slight green to it.

That was my tip-off,the Valvoline was green with envy. Seriously I thought the green in the Valvoline was just a reflection from the other jar. I disqualify myself if it`s gold GC btw,I was definitely thinking it was the green stuff.
tongue.gif

pulled about a quarter quart of oil out, after 1500 miles into the rinse phase. It looks exactly the same as the oil after the clean phase, so I am not posting any pics.

Will post the filter after I am done with the rinse (only 250 miles to go now). Luckily my car is due for a service now as well, so I will run the BMW oil for a few miles to clear out any remaining old dino.

Then on to the GC and the beginning of my UOA's! (http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=841146&an=0&page=1#Post841146)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back