Audi really don’t trust their owners.

There is a sensor in the sump... Although I'm not sure if it is a float switch or whether it works with electrical continuity between two points.
So an electronic dipstick…..

Or a float like in a toilet cistern

Do you have a picture of this float or switch?

So an electronic dipstick…..

Or a float like in a toilet cistern

Do you have a picture of this float or switch?

An electronic dipstick would tell you the specific oil level. You access a menu and command the car to check the oil level. BMW does have this and it takes roughly two minutes for the car to do it. Audi does not have this, this is not the same thing as a low level warning.

Here is a pic of the sensor, I assume that blue thing is a float. The oil temperature sensor is built into this as well.

1687461259040.jpg

I check under the hood so often the hood handle broke 😂 always at home, same spot and when cold so I have baseline of all fluid levels and can take visuals on everything else.

To note I am extremely happy to have a dipstick for the oil and check it often.

Neighbor has a newer mini and after a service at dealer was leaking a lot of oil on garage floor. I let them know it was leaking and told them I would check the oil, pop the hood to look for the dipstick, and there was none to be found 😔 I actually had to Google how to check the oil on a mini Cooper using the central display screen….

It was a sad day for me.

I check under the hood so often the hood handle broke 😂 always at home, same spot and when cold so I have baseline of all fluid levels and can take visuals on everything else.

To note I am extremely happy to have a dipstick for the oil and check it often.

Neighbor has a newer mini and after a service at dealer was leaking a lot of oil on garage floor. I let them know it was leaking and told them I would check the oil, pop the hood to look for the dipstick, and there was none to be found 😔 I actually had to Google how to check the oil on a mini Cooper using the central display screen….

It was a sad day for me.
My Miss Moneypenny has an aftermarket dipstick - no I'm not talking about me. Unlike the factory dipstick which is nigh useless, the aftermarket one is easy to read l. And no, there's no electronic sensor or readout for the oil level on my Mini.

My 2017 A4 had an electronic dipstick that showed up on the infotainment screen. It would show oil level on a vertical bar looking just like the width of a dipstick and would give warnings of over filled or getting low.

Last edited:
The fact that nowhere in the manual is the owner made aware there is an electronic dipstick.

My 2016 S350d had a dipstick but never had a warning come up to add oil when the oil got to the halfway mark on the dipstick (half way between max and min for the pedants)

My 745Le has no dipstick and a warning to add oil comes on to add oil soon, if you ignore it then about 500 miles later another warning comes up to add 1 litre.

Which is why BMW Assist carry 1 litre jugs of oil. So they can add exactly a litre and bill you accordingly.
I don’t see why it matters. If there’s a manual dipstick, and any reasonable person who has operated an ICE in the last 100 years knows to check the oil that way, then what’s the issue. If only an electronic one is available then warnings and instructions galore.

For your S350d, I’m not seeing the point. It’s not generally recommended to add oil when it’s halfway between max and min.

I don’t see why it matters. If there’s a manual dipstick, and any reasonable person who has operated an ICE in the last 100 years knows to check the oil that way, then what’s the issue. If only an electronic one is available then warnings and instructions galore.

For your S350d, I’m not seeing the point. It’s not generally recommended to add oil when it’s halfway between max and min.
In whose opinion is is not recommended to add oil at half way between max and min?

There is a max for a reason and a min for a reason

And why does the Audi Q2 tell you to add oil at the halfway mark on the dipstick?

Why did my 745 go from half way on the electronic dipstick to add oil a few days later, then add 1 litre a couple of days after that

Strangely adding 1 litre took it to exactly the max mark on the dipstick.

I think you made that up unless you have proof from Mercedes that you shouldn’t add oil at the half way mark

It seems pretty clear you haven’t read my original post or much of the other posts in the thread

But thanks for your input..

My 2017 A4 had an electronic dipstick that showed up on the infotainment screen. It would show oil level on a vertical bar looking just like the width of a dipstick and would give warnings of over filled or getting low.
So you could actually use it to check oil level?

It wasn’t hidden to the driver?

With a normal dipstick under the bonnet?

It is so rare that I see someone at a gas station checking their oil.

Something I think we on this site lose sight of, WE ARE THE MINORITY. Not saying it's right, just the public doesn't pay as much attention to their cars as they should. Fortunately for them, vehicles are more reliable than they ever have been (obviously a few exceptions out there).

I never see anyone do this anymore. I do it almost every time I get fuel and I've definitely gotten some weird looks. I figure some people think it's just a hood up on another unreliable VW. 😂

So you could actually use it to check oil level?

It wasn’t hidden to the driver?

With a normal dipstick under the bonnet?
Yes it was the only way to check the oil level as there was no dip stick just a plug in the dip stick hole. It is on the center screen MMI

Excuse the terrible music and blurry images but it gets the point across.

Last edited:
Yes it was the only way to check the oil level as there was no dip stick just a plug in the dip stick hole. It is on the center screen MMI

Excuse the terrible music and blurry images but it gets the point across.

The car in question has a normal dipstick and an electronic dipstick that I have no been able to do access via any menu

When oil was added the message and amber triangle disappeared

It's pretty common for a car,doesn't matter the brand that uses this thinner oil,0w-20w to use some oil between changes.It makes sense to check and add if necessary. A little bit of Preventive Maintenance might save you paying out on engine damage.

I recently went on a 3,437 mile road trip with my kid in a 2009 BMW M3 that I'd just bought a few weeks prior. At one of our hotels, I went out in the evening to check the car over... oil, air in tires, that sort of thing... and there was a family out front chilling out (small, small, tiny town, tiny hotel). The dad saw me looking at the car and started openly mocking me. "Oooh, wow, this guy is checking his oil! Last time I opened my hood was 1979!"

I recently went on a 3,437 mile road trip with my kid in a 2009 BMW M3 that I'd just bought a few weeks prior. At one of our hotels, I went out in the evening to check the car over... oil, air in tires, that sort of thing... and there was a family out front chilling out (small, small, tiny town, tiny hotel). The dad saw me looking at the car and started openly mocking me. "Oooh, wow, this guy is checking his oil! Last time I opened my hood was 1979!"
Very strange behavior. Reminds me of a vlog I just saw where a worker took a sledgehammer to a Lambo's windshield.

I watched long enough to see $400 or more is a felony, and the windshield was $5000.

Was the owner a do****? Yes. But that doesn't mean you hit his windshield with a sledgehammer. Not in 2023, maybe 2007 prior to smartphones. Why is there hate based on the car make/model?

If I had seen you, I'd think dang another guy living out my dream (I have an E92 335). :)

I would like the redundancy of the oil warning light backed by a physical dipstick. I like to think I’m pretty religious on checking the oil, but different driving conditions, life etc. get in the way. This probably gives the manufacturers an out by making the customers ever more liable for engine damage warranty attempts. Seems like it is pretty sensitive which is better safe than sorry.

I would like the redundancy of the oil warning light backed by a physical dipstick. I like to think I’m pretty religious on checking the oil, but different driving conditions, life etc. get in the way. This probably gives the manufacturers an out by making the customers ever more liable for engine damage warranty attempts. Seems like it is pretty sensitive which is better safe than sorry.
BMW is bmw…we get an oil temp gauge but not a temp gauge (in my 2007). One would think I have limited control over my coolant temp, and no control over my oil temp. People made such a big deal about the needle being almost 3/4 to the right, that bmw recalibrated the scale so it was in the middle instead.

Good for you,in checking your vehicle over.If you catch a small potential issue and can correct it,you are way ahead,,in time and money.
If you look up the word,"Idiot"in the dictionary,that guys picture is there!L.O.L

Back