Audi really don’t trust their owners.

My daughter has a 2020 Audi Q2, 1.5 TFSi with the DSG box

I checked the oil a week or so ago and I was in the middle of the normal zone, figured I would top it up when I have time

Then yesterday there was a message on the dash saying to add oil and an amber triangle lit up on the dash

I double checked the oil and it was still around the middle of the normal zone as previously

Chucked in 1/2 of Mobil 1 5W30 ESP and the light and warming went off. Audi allow 1/2 litre of top up using a 504 oil like ESP, the car usually takes the green 0w20, if memory serves its 509.

This is the first time I have seen a car with a normal dipstick and an electronic dipstick

You can’t check the oil level yourself electronically like I can on my BMW.

I just it was an interesting snippet of information and does provide an insight into how Audi view their typical customer

Somebody who leases a nice car for 3 or 4 years and doesn’t bother to lift the bonnet.

I don't think that necessarily needs to be someone who leases a car. It may be different outside of the US, but in the US, but it's my observation that drivers do not check their car. The easiest place to do it is when we get gas. I check my oil about ever 1000 miles (every 2-3 weeks). I'm usually the one to put gas in my wife's car, so I check it more on time than mileage, still every 2-3, maybe 4 weeks (she doesn't drive any where near as much as I do).

It is so rare that I see someone at a gas station checking their oil.

Something I think we on this site lose sight of, WE ARE THE MINORITY. Not saying it's right, just the public doesn't pay as much attention to their cars as they should. Fortunately for them, vehicles are more reliable than they ever have been (obviously a few exceptions out there).

I check my oil before I leave in the morning. The gas station is always hot and loud
I check mine on weekends. I am almost always in dress clothes at the gas station, and I don't carry extra oil or a funnel in any vehicle. At home is much easier.

OP, it is interesting that .5 qt triggered the warning.

My vehicles are 24 and 13 years old and both are ready for daily driving. I check oil on a weekend when I have time to check all the fluids AND look around for anything abnormal. On the first weekend of each month I look under the vehicles, check CV boots, etc..

you check your oil every single morning?

Wow, and I thought I was bad checking every other gas fill up.
I don't drive every day, so I check it when I drive it (if I do drive it multiple days in a row I'll check it every 3rd day)

I don't think that necessarily needs to be someone who leases a car. It may be different outside of the US, but in the US, but it's my observation that drivers do not check their car. The easiest place to do it is when we get gas. I check my oil about ever 1000 miles (every 2-3 weeks). I'm usually the one to put gas in my wife's car, so I check it more on time than mileage, still every 2-3, maybe 4 weeks (she doesn't drive any where near as much as I do).

Something I think we on this site lose sight of, WE ARE THE MINORITY. Not saying it's right, just the public doesn't pay as much attention to their cars as they should. Fortunately for them, vehicles are more reliable than they ever have been (obviously a few exceptions out there).
If you talk to my brother’s 22-30 yo coworkers they say it’s stupid to waste time on a car. He brought up the notion of a manual transmission and they said boy that’s just plain stupid. And the thing is they’re quite degreed and 100% serious

1687198047466.jpg

down-arrow.jpg

1687198034409.jpg

facepalm-really.gif

Speaking for myself, and probably many others, you'll never see me checking under the hood at a service station unless there's some sort of emergency. I check everything at home, in my parking space, before driving off. It's much simpler that way as the car is always in the same spot, and there's no pressure from other waiting customers. Because you don't see it happening doesn't mean it's not being done.

That said, I suspect that many more people today don't check under the hood on a regular basis, certainly not as many as when I was a young pup. Perhaps that's, at least in part, because of all these vehicles with "lifetime" fluids and 10,000-mile oil change intervals.

Speaking for myself, and probably many others, you'll never see me checking under the hood at a service station unless there's some sort of emergency. I check everything at home, in my parking space, before driving off. It's much simpler that way as the car is always in the same spot, and there's no pressure from other waiting customers. Because you don't see it happening doesn't mean it's not being done.

That said, I suspect that many more people today don't check under the hood on a regular basis, certainly not as many as when I was a young pup. Perhaps that's, at least in part, because of all these vehicles with "lifetime" fluids and 10,000-mile oil change intervals.

This.

I can't remember the last time I've seen anyone do that.
When I was in HS they still did that. Recall a kid (I was too) saying you’re down a quart want me to fill it for $2? That was a fortune back then I said no thanks and felt it was a scam

Checked and that would be $6.45 today. Oddly that is about what a quart of synth might go for now

Back