At what point is it not worth working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
turtlevette,

Is that breaking the law, stating you have 10 kids just to bend the IRS rules ?

Lieing to the IRS equals jail time its fraud, simply not paying your taxes will get them to come after your assets and lien/seize everything you own. But you cannot go to jail for not paying your taxes.

You need financial advice from BITOGers as much as you need a hole in your head.

There are lot better places on the internet if you want to change your financial life. THIS IS NOT THE ONE!!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
..There are lot better places on the internet if you want to change your financial life. THIS IS NOT THE ONE!!

^ +2!

I didn't get rich and retire young from reading technical advice dispensed on BITOG.

Learned here how good K&N air filters are though!

Bladecutter, I accept responsibility for my choices, thats why I work three jobs. Other than a few beers with friends on ocassion, there is no tobacco or alcohol.

This isnt about cutting expenses. I make my choices and accept responsibility for them. I just want to keep the money I earn. Not have it confiscated by the government and given to those in society who make poor choices.

Crow Creek Reservation near me has been deemed the poorest area in the nation. I know people who choose not to work, that routinely receive $8k to $9k in Earned Income Credit. McDonalds is routinely begging for workers. They start at $9/hr.

My wife is on the board for the local women's shelter. They had one resident who was making no effort to get a job. It was suggested that she should go there for an application. She replied, "Oh, I could never work there. I dont like their uniforms.". We have become a nation of beggars who want to be choosers. They have become addicted to OPM (Other People's Money).

Increasingly, we have a gov't that is too willing to give it to them in exchange for votes. When the number of takers outnumber the makers, and we've almost reached that point,our economy will collapse. Society will devolve into chaos because people want to get "theirs". Unfortunately, they havent learned that what they think is "theirs" actually belongs to someone else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: otis24
I just want to keep the money I earn. Not have it confiscated by the government and given to those in society who make poor choices.

Work off the books, or work for your companies as private contractors, and you can send in your tax payments on a quarterly basis.

Quote:
Crow Creek Reservation near me has been deemed the poorest area in the nation. I know people who choose not to work, that routinely receive $8k to $9k in Earned Income Credit. McDonalds is routinely begging for workers. They start at $9/hr.

Again, you're concerning yourself with how other people choose to live their lives.
You can't control or change them.
The law says that if people who file their taxes meet certain economic parameters, they get xxxx amount of money off of their taxes.

Ask yourself this:

Can you support your family if you dropped all your jobs, and made only $15k a year, or less?
That's what these people have to figure out how to survive on.

Quote:
My wife is on the board for the local women's shelter. They had one resident who was making no effort to get a job. It was suggested that she should go there for an application. She replied, "Oh, I could never work there. I dont like their uniforms.". We have become a nation of beggars who want to be choosers. They have become addicted to OPM (Other People's Money).

Again, some other person, out of your control.
Go burn down her house, so that she can suffer as much as you are, by paying taxes, if you need something to feel good about.

Quote:
Increasingly, we have a gov't that is too willing to give it to them in exchange for votes. When the number of takers outnumber the makers, and we've almost reached that point, our economy will collapse. Society will devolve into chaos because people want to get "theirs". Unfortunately, they havent learned that what they think is "theirs" actually belongs to someone else.

Both parties take money and votes from anyone willing to hand it to them.
The politicians give themselves raises every year, no matter how much they screw things up and bottleneck the workings. They create new conflicts to send young men and women to their deaths at, and no one takes any responsibility for the laws that they pass that lead to the deaths of defenseless children in schools, because the gun industry pays politicians more money than school teachers do.

Our society, government, and economy is quite a long ways away from collapsing.

Nothing you do, short of running for office yourself, and changing things from the inside, will ever make the government run the way you want it to.

So, go run for office, and become a politician.
Very easy, and according to people like you, you don't need to do anything except sell your soul. But then you won't have to work so hard, and you get really good health care benefits.

BC.

Demographics of America is rapidly changing, welfare nation is what politicians want....

Paid for by your tax dollars 'hard at work' making the USA a better place to be.

Again, it is a very simple problem and solution. The more you tax, or punish something, the less of it you will have. Our current tax system punishes productivity and rewards sloth.

The greatest problem we have in this nation is people who make excuses for bad behavior, and say "that's just the way it is, suck it up". You are right,BC, it won't ever change as long as we have people who make excuses for bad behavior.

"Can you support your family if you drop all of your jobs and made only $15k per year or less?"

That was the whole point of my question. What would be my net OPM reward gain from the government if I chose not to work? There would be a litany of alphabet soup agencies offering assistance in the form of housing assistance, heating assistance, educational assistance, medical assistance, etc...

The problem with our current welfare system (its very well outlined in "Uncle Sam's Plantation") is that it is an all or nothing system. Those who try to better themselves are punished while those who choose not to work receive a Carte Blanche tray of endless government services provided by We the People. As one of those People, it IS my concern how much of my money the government confiscates and how they choose to waste it.

Last edited:
Don't forget all the terrible teachers that instruct their students on their 18th birthday to sign up for all Government Assistance because this is what is 'owed to them' . From cradle to grave the Government has to support you.

The Welfare Plantation is what is happening in the USA, almost 100 million Americans not working....

Don't forget all the terrible teachers that instruct their students on their 18th birthday to sign up for all Government Assistance because this is what is 'owed to them' . From cradle to grave the Government has to support you.

I've never seen this happen, nor read about it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I've never seen this happen, nor read about it.

I have, but the context is that the kids parents are on government assistance and are spending all the money on themselves, and not helping their kids.
So since its kind of hard to better yourself while living in a cardboard box in an alley, the teachers let the students know how to get some assistance to give them a better chance of becoming a productive tax paying citizen, or atleast not get killed or raped while living on the street.
Seems like it could be the most important lesson of the year for some of them to make something of themselves. Some will just leach on the government teat for life, but it doesn't make all of them bad people, or the assistance not worth providing.

Who knows, maybe Mr. Nice did grow up in a home with parents partying till 3 am most school nights and slapped him when he asked for something to take for lunch that day. And then he somehow got the grades and money to get to college for his nice GE job, but I doubt it.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
I just want to keep the money I earn. Not have it confiscated by the government and given to those in society who make poor choices.

Work off the books, or work for your companies as private contractors, and you can send in your tax payments on a quarterly basis.

Quote:

Again, you're concerning yourself with how other people choose to live their lives.
The law says that if people who file their taxes meet certain economic parameters, they get xxxx amount of money off of their taxes.

Ask yourself this:

Can you support your family if you dropped all your jobs, and made only $15k a year, or less?

Quote:

Go burn down her house, so that she can suffer as much as you are, by paying taxes, if you need something to feel good about.

Quote:
Increasingly, we have a gov't that is too willing to give it to them in exchange for votes. When the number of takers outnumber the makers, and we've almost reached that point, our economy will collapse. Society will devolve into chaos because people want to get "theirs". Unfortunately, they havent learned that what they think is "theirs" actually belongs to someone else.

The politicians give themselves raises every year, no matter how much they screw things up and bottleneck the workings. They create new conflicts to send young men and women to their deaths at, and no one takes any responsibility for the laws that they pass that lead to the deaths of defenseless children in schools, because the gun industry pays politicians more money than school teachers do.

Nothing you do, short of running for office yourself, and changing things from the inside, will ever make the government run the way you want it to.

Very easy, and according to people like you, you don't need to do anything except sell your soul. But then you won't have to work so hard, and you get really good health care benefits.

BC.

Bolded the good advice in the quote.

Don't judge others lest you be judged. We are all going through this life, we all face some form of difficulty.

To repeat my earlier suggestion about the original post. Run a scenario of your taxes with the third income removed and see what happens. Unless you qualify for some credits, it is mathematically incorrect to assume that removing income will increase your take home income. But if removing income puts you beyond a threshold where you qualify for EIC, etc. then it will make sense.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
To repeat my earlier suggestion about the original post. Run a scenario of your taxes with the third income removed and see what happens. Unless you qualify for some credits, it is mathematically incorrect to assume that removing income will increase your take home income. But if removing income puts you beyond a threshold where you qualify for EIC, etc. then it will make sense.

This guy gets it. That was exactly what I was proposing.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

Quote:

Ask yourself this:

Quote:

Quote:

BC.

Bolded the good advice in the quote.

Don't judge others lest you be judged. We are all going through this life, we all face some form of difficulty.

Not judging others. We all face difficulties. That isn't the problem. The problem is how we CHOOSE to FACE UP to those difficulties. The choices others make are their business, up and until I and the rest of society have to subsidize those bad choices. Then, it is our concern.

Quote:
Who knows, maybe Mr. Nice did grow up in a home with parents partying till 3 am most school nights and slapped him when he asked for something to take for lunch that day. And then he somehow got the grades and money to get to college for his nice GE job, but I doubt it.

I've been working since I was 15... unloading trucks with a pallet jack at 6 AM on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
Today's child labor law would not allow that. No easy road for me but I worked very hard over the past 35 years.

OP: maybe move to a bigger city with better employment opportunities / salary ?
I know its tuff to move once your family has a house and is settled.

Quote:

I've been working since I was 15... unloading trucks with a pallet jack at 6 AM on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
Today's child labor law would not allow that. No easy road for me but I worked very hard over the past 35 years.

OP: maybe move to a bigger city with better employment opportunities / salary ?
I know its tuff to move once your family has a house and is settled.

I was cleaning out chicken barns by fork and wheel barrow and slinging hay bales around at 14-15 too. Big deal, I had a full belly and 8 hrs of sleep and then my parents drove me to the farm in the winter, other wise I rode my dirtbike. Comparatively it was heaven to what the kids of drug addicts go through... I'm sure 99% of them would trade places with us as teenagers, 6am mornings and chicken manure included.

I spoke to the grocery store manager at 14 and he said no... 15 was the youngest I could apply for a job. Unloading pallets of milk in the rain on a slippery scissor lift platform. One wrong move the whole pallet of milk could topple off the lift and possibly crushing someone.

Today's young folks are in for a rude awakening if they don't have a good work ethic and don't want to get off their butt.

I know some momma boys 21-25 that never had a job and live in lala land.

I know some momma boys 21-25 that never had a job and live in lala land.

21 to 25

Try 21 to 55. I know some who never had any intention of working ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back