Gotta find a new job.

LA has this posted

HEAVY DUTY EQUIPMENT MECHANIC 3743 B (Revised 10-31-23)

• CITY OF LOS ANGELES, CA
  • FULL-TIME - $99,973.00 - $116,928.00 Annually
  • Category: Miscellaneous
  • Department: ALL DEPARTMENTS
ANNUAL SALARY $99,973 (flat-rated) The salary in the Department of Water and Power is $114,547 (flat-rated) or $116,928 (flat-rated). NOTES : For information regarding reciprocity between the City of Los Angeles departments and LADWP, go to: http://per.lacity.org/Reciprocity_CityDepts_and_DWP.pdf. Candidates from the eligible list are nor

Ya but we are talking HOURS of traffic commuting every day. It's not uncommon to spend 6+ hrs a day in traffic there.

I’m sorry to hear it, Chris. You weren’t there very long.

So, is it time to open:

Chris’ Custom
AC and auto repair

Perhaps?

So, is it time to open:

Chris’ Custom
AC and auto repair

Perhaps?
3 years to the day.

So, is it time to open:

Chris’ Custom
AC and auto repair

Perhaps?
Impressive thought !!!

So, is it time to open:

Chris’ Custom
AC and auto repair

Perhaps?
Custom hydraulic/AC hoses made to order!

I'm very familiar with bad management ruining a perfectly good job.
And management one day shows up after six months of this, wondering where all their experienced people went. They'll try to say they got rid of some dead wood, but they just drove off the best half of their workforce.

@Chris142
Good luck to you, life is too short to be miserable in your occupation.
Never give up because if you do, or in your old age you will be wondering how fast time has flown by and regret not doing something different.
Keep moving forward and don’t give up until you find your passion.
You cant succeed until you have some failures.

CEMEX is hiring a mechanic:

CEMEX Locomotive Maintainer:

Keurig Dr. Pepper: Transport Driver:

Newell: Maintenance Technician:

Sherwin Williams: Industrial Controls Technician:

I have a buddy in a similar situation.

He does custom installations of a/c and heating on commercial trailers involving welding and custom fabrication etc.
Recently he had a bad experience with gases from welding, causing a near death experience (workshop isn't ventilated properly etc.). He's notified his employer, but they don't seem inclined to do anything about it as it's considered a common workplace hazard in the industry.

He's also looking to change careers but at 54 with two kids at home, that's easier said than done.

Easy.
Close to home.
Pays well.

It's not easy to hit the trifecta. You usually only get two out three. I'm very lucky to have all three but it was mostly luck.

Figure which of the three is most important to you. Reading between the lines, it seems close to home and undue stress induced anxiety are most important to you. I don't blame you. I'm the same way.

Working for a company that makes your life miserable is hard on your mental and physical health,..life’s too short, there’s no need in allowing that job to make it even shorter. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith and do what’s right for yourself. Good on you for realizing that and walking away from it.
I’m sure that you’ll get things figured out once you’ve had a little time to unwind. 😉🍻

may want to look at heavy equipment sales,,you can make good money doing this as its easy on your body and you may know some of the construction people in your area

Maybe working in Plant Operations at local hospital.

Good benefits and most likely a union job with good pay.

i worked in a hospital in maintenance for well over twenty years,,more to it than you may think ,but it was a enjoyable job,retired as a senior engineer, among other titles, though not union

I worked Biomed at various hospitals and we needed Plant Ops for pretty much everything related to medical equipment. Lots of outside vendors to deal with if there’s big problems.

Plant Ops & Biomed = Wheel & Tire

Last edited:
Best of luck to you Chris.
You have skills which are both in demand and not that common, so I'm sure you'll land on your feet.
You've expressed dissatisfaction with the job in the past, so it was probably time for you to go.
If it was eating away at you mentally then it was obviously not a good place to work.

Back