arx, will it cause an oil leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of running a bottle of arx through my 98 f150 with the 4.6. It has 102k miles on it and I was wondering if there is an increased risk of oil leaking after everything is clean. Right now it burns or leaks nothing but I am getting a little more valve rattling than usual and my gas mileage is down to about 13mpg. I also changed my oil about 500 miles ago so would it be alright to add the arx and run the 2500 mile cleaning phase.

Yes, you could develop leaks, but many of them "seal" back up during the rinse phase. I would add the arx, run it for 3000 miles, changing out the oil filter midway. Just from my personal experience. Are you running dino?

It was my experience that Auto-RX STOPPED an oil leak. I owned a Saturn car that had a small seal leak from an engine seal. After I did an Auto-RX cleaning the seal leak stopped.

If a seal is not damaged Auto-RX apparently can stop a leak. It removes sludge from the seal and allows oil to reach the seal. But if a seal is worn or damaged removing sludge from a seal may cause a leak. The only thing you can do with a damaged or worn seal is to replace it.

Yes if your oil seal(s) is broken or damaged due to some other mechanical means (or worn)

No if your seal is just simply sludged up.

Originally Posted By: s.ga.rider
So its pretty much a gamble then?

Everything in life is a gamble. When you drive your car in the morning, it is a gamble. Logically, if you don't have any leak right now, I don't think ARX will create a new leak. It will actually reduce the chance of a leak in the future because all the seals will be cleaned.

Using ARX isn't "a gamble" at all. You can count on ARX, to both prevent and stop, seal leakage caused by oil starvation due to sludge buildup.

ARX will restore to working condition, seals that are not physically ripped, torn or punctured, or damaged beyond recovery due to oil starvation, that has too long gone uncorrected.

No gambler would place a bet on whether or not, your seals will eventually leak due to oil starvation caused by sludge buildup, because that is a sure thing. You can only bet on how long that will take. As for me. I wont gamble on my engine. That's why I use ARX.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
It was my experience that Auto-RX STOPPED an oil leak. I owned a Saturn car that had a small seal leak from an engine seal. After I did an Auto-RX cleaning the seal leak stopped.

If a seal is not damaged Auto-RX apparently can stop a leak. It removes sludge from the seal and allows oil to reach the seal. But if a seal is worn or damaged removing sludge from a seal may cause a leak. The only thing you can do with a damaged or worn seal is to replace it.

(Most) Esters tend to 'swell' seals slightly so it's possible for it to re-seal some old leaks. I don't know at what concentration of esters effects seals or not but it was just a general concept associated with the product. Such as PAO's tend to shrink seals which makes esters a great co-base in those blends (and for many other reasons). ARX may not do anything to seals based on concentration and other ingredients. Maybe just good old conditioners to help improve sealing.

Originally Posted By: remmious
Originally Posted By: Mystic

(Most) Esters tend to 'swell' seals slightly so it's possible for it to re-seal some old leaks. I don't know at what concentration of esters effects seals or not but it was just a general concept associated with the product. Such as PAO's tend to shrink seals which makes esters a great co-base in those blends (and for many other reasons). ARX may not do anything to seals based on concentration and other ingredients. Maybe just good old conditioners to help improve sealing.

No. That isn't how ARX works.

ARX works by removing sludge buildup on seals.

Sludge coated seals can't get freshly circulated oil on their exposed surfaces, and so they are neither properly cooled or lubricated. In addition, sludge coated seals aren't exposed to whatever seal conditioning and or cleaning agents, present in whatever oil you use, and so of course they will harden, loosing their pliability, to then shrink and become more susceptible to physical damage.

It goes without saying, that sludge coated seals also cannot be reconditioned and restored to usefulness, by whatever seal conditioners and cleaning agents present in your oil. The sludge must first be removed, and that is what ARX does.

Who knows what really occurred. It was just a general statement made about esters and what is true about esters. I never said ARX swells seals to fix leaks. I even said it may not occur based on concentration levels, etc. But the possibility was there. If a seal leaks then there is a path for it to get out. If you clean sludge away, unless that sludge is holding the path open , it will not fix that leak. That's why I said there may have been the potential for the seal to swell slightly to seal up that void. That's all.

Don't take this the wrong way but read a little closer before you get on your defensive high-horse.

Who knows what really occurred. It was just a general statement made about esters and what is true about esters. I never said ARX swells seals to fix leaks. I even said it may not occur based on concentration levels, etc. But the possibility was there. If a seal leaks then there is a path for it to get out. If you clean sludge away, unless that sludge is holding the path open , it will not fix that leak. That's why I said there may have been the potential for the seal to swell slightly to seal up that void. That's all.

Don't take this the wrong way but read a little closer before you get on your defensive high-horse.

You wrote this at the end.

"ARX may not do anything to seals based on concentration and other ingredients. Maybe just good old conditioners to help improve sealing."

That is the issue I sought to clarify.

I wasn't attacking you. I said nothing, about you personally, such as when you wrote of me, "... read a little closer before you get on your defensive high-horse."

I do think it fair to say that you should take your own advice however.

Fair enough. You just said "No that's not how it works" and to me that meant everything I stated was incorrect. I had no idea you were talking about the conditioner part. I'm not looking to argue and sorry if you felt personally attacked. It did come off stronger than attended.

Just ran across some information published by Noria that fit this topic. A statement they made was:

"The esters will wet out and penetrate seals. The product will circulate with the oil and reach wherever the oil is supposed to reach. Esters will inherently perform the following:

Increase the flexibility of gaskets if they are dried out.
Slightly swell seals and gaskets which may stop a leak!"

And here's another statement that goes along with Oilgals 'definition' of how ARX works. For the life of me I couldn't remember this term (wet out) for how ARX works on the metallic surface versus just penetrating the sludge like solvents.

"a polar molecule that adheres to and wets out metallic surfaces"

This is why esters are more effective at removing varnish versus a solvent.

Thought I would post my findings.

Enjoy....

I'd have to agree about the wetting action of Auto-RX. While continuing to clean 2 engines with it, I've had to re-torque oil pan bolts twice--seems Auto-RX, as it cleans, keeps wetting itself out.

Now that my 3 kids are a little older I'm not looking forward to my car wetting itself! And I thought I was done with that.. geez

Well, as long as my engine doesn't take a #2, then I am happy.
grin2.gif

NO. Auto-Rx does not create leaks. Much more likely to solve a rotational seal leak, as Oilgal suggests. Auto-Rx will not swell or change the durometer of seal material even at full strength.

With regards to gasket leaks, ARX has no impact on the gasket material. With regards to having to retorque the oil pan fasteners, this would be a rare occurance. In this case it was obviously a false seal by contaminants between the pan and the seal or the seal and the block casting.

Originally Posted By: Rick20
Auto-Rx will not swell or change the durometer of seal material even at full strength.

Could you explain further why? Seems most of the lubrication industry has a belief that esters will cause seals to swell to some degree.

Originally Posted By: Rick20
Auto-Rx will not swell or change the durometer of seal material even at full strength.

Could you explain further why? Seems most of the lubrication industry has a belief that esters will cause seals to swell to some degree.

It swelled the stopper in the plastic syringe that I used to dispense it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back