Article about AI: Unsettling?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I found this article a bit unsettling, and while I can see some value in AI, some uses can easily be used for nefarious or even illegal purposes. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
So people are too lazy to read the original material, so they get an a.i. to summarize it for them?

The problem with a.i. is it doesn't really think about what it's saying, it just repeats what it's heard. I've never seen an a.i. come up with an original idea, something that there wasn't already research papers or YouTube videos about. Once they can get their own ideas I'll be worried.

The danger in the commercial world is that unscrupulous users of AI will fraudulently mimic famous people and cheat them of their royalties. Or, perhaps even create a "new" human figurine that would usurp real humans, making actors/actresses obsolete.

Further, the greatest danger, IMO, is that these deep fake AI technologies will be used by unscrupulous people to sway all manner of things which we're not allowed to talk about on BITOG. Once the tech is good enough to fool the masses (and it's pretty much there already), then how would one ever know right from wrong, true from false, credible from incredulous regarding any comment or speech given by any public leadership figure?

Truly, we are at the cusp of very dangerous times. But we have shown, as a species, that we are generally incapable of self-control. At times, this can lead to new ventures in life. Other times, we can fall off the cliff into peril. Problem is, until you break through that barrier, you never know what's behind door #3; it might just lead to Armageddon.

Last edited:
Knowing a few folks in the AI industry (my son would like to work this field out of HS), you guys haven’t seen anything yet. It’s more advanced than the public sees now. So much so, the military is using it. It’s downright scary at times. Crimes will be more more advanced now as well.

Best part? The average joe can do nothing about it…..

The danger in the commercial world is that unscrupulous users of AI will fraudulently mimic famous people and cheat them of their royalties. Or, perhaps even create a "new" human figurine that would usurp real humans, making actors/actresses obsolete.

Further, the greatest danger, IMO, is that these deep fake AI technologies will be used by unscrupulous people to sway all manner of things which we're not allowed to talk about on BITOG. Once the tech is good enough to fool the masses (and it's pretty much there already), then how would one ever know right from wrong, true from false, credible from incredulous regarding any comment or speech given by any public leadership figure?

Truly, we are at the cusp of very dangerous times. But we have shown, as a species, that we are generally incapable of self-control. At times, this can lead to new ventures in life. Other times, we can fall off the cliff into peril. Problem is, until you break through that barrier, you never know what's behind door #3; it might just lead to Armageddon.

What scares me more is this ending up in the hands of those with money and power. Controlling the masses will only get earlier……

Last edited by a moderator:
Knowing a few folks in the AI industry (my son would like to work this field out of HS), you guys haven’t seen anything yet. It’s more advanced than the public sees now. So much so, the military is using it. It’s downright scary at times. Crimes will be more more advanced now as well.

AI has already "learned" to lie to achieve a result.

Just remember that the Terminator never understood why it was wrong to kill humans.

Last edited:
Yeah. Everything bad humans can squeeze out of new inventions .... Us humans usually go straight after as soon as something new gets invented. Is it in our DNA? Its the same story down thru history. Truly scary times though I often wonder if folks 100 years ago felt the same in between WWI and WWII?

It will really help to bring medical care to those who can't afford it now. I know doom and gloom is popular with new tech on this board. But there are many positives that A.I.will bring as well.

You don't think that the patriot act was an info funnel to a predictive machine?

Like the Internet, it will bring lots of positive changes, and lots of negative changes. Evil people tend to move faster than good people, so expect a surge in effective scams and fraud in the first wave.

Back