Are you serious about tire rotation intervals?

From the other thread - Michelin tires in 18k …
Anyone think they were rotated ?
(hint, the rear looked far better) …

6F3C843E-F600-411F-95A4-4EBE29877310.jpg

A proper alignment would be money better spent and then you wouldn't NEED to do rotations. Trying to imagine which of the four cars you have listed take tires that cost $400 each?
That and stop going around corners …

Usually watch to make sure they are wearing evenly, many times I was able to watch the rear tires to where they were half worn and then rotate the tires once. Probably average two rotations per set of tires over the years with some brands making up to 80,000.

I’ve never ever rotated tires on any of my vehicles.

They rotate plenty fast when I drive.

But seriously on all my vehicles I’ve had decent enough tire life without rotating as long as the alignment was OK.

I do rotate tires occasionally, but I’m not obsessive about it. I think a tire rotation every 10k miles or so is more than enough. Might work out to 3 or 4 rotations over the life of the tires.

Probably the most important part of a tire rotation is the opportunity to inspect the tire for safety issues.

I used to keep up with them a lot. Once vehicles went to front wheel drives I slacked off a bit. Cars are not as prone to needing so many front end alignments as they used to with rear wheel drive. I still would not go more than 12 months without a rotation - front to back - to front. If you do not , the fronts wear quicker and the back tires eventually develop what they call cupping - uneven wear across the tread
surface. Of course - not big deal if folks are too lazy to do them. They will just end up spending more on tires than folks who do normal
recommended rotations.

Every 5-6K, or at the minimum, every oil change. IME it really helps improve longevity since the front and rear tires wear at different rates. It also gives you an opportunity for a brake inspection.
Definitely. I'm religious about it. I also do a decent amount of highway miles and rarely corner or brake hard. I've never NOT gone well past the mileage warranty and still had 3-4 32nds left.

I do rotate tires occasionally, but I’m not obsessive about it. I think a tire rotation every 10k miles or so is more than enough. Might work out to 3 or 4 rotations over the life of the tires.

Probably the most important part of a tire rotation is the opportunity to inspect the tire for safety issues.
I buy 60k or more warrantied tires. And often get 65-75k out of them and still have 3-4 32nds left. I rotate about every 7500 miles. Always have. From Firestones, to Goodyear's, to Michelin (what I often buy) I've always gotten the mileage warranty and never had issues with tread wearing oddly. I also check with a tread depth gauge once per month or so to make sure they're wearing evenly, too.

I forget who, but someone on YouTube once calculated the economics of rotating tires...basically, unless you do it yourself or can have someone else do it for 'free' (say as part of an oil change service), then it is actually cheaper to just let the tires on 1 side (front or back) wear out and just replace those 2 tires when needed. Now this was a few years back and I believe they assumed a $25 service charge for tire rotation. Personally, I rotate my tires every 5-7k miles...either myself or part of a service package.
Are there any tire stores (chain or local) that don't rotate for free if you purchased them there?

You go right and you go left. It should pretty much even out. Well technically, 51% percent are right turns, but not enough to worry about.

That’s just nonsense - our tire expert has written on this before …

Nobody is concerned about wearing out the wheel studs every time a wheel is removed and installed? I'm surprised nobody brought that up know how OCD some BITOG members can be about stuff like that.
This and warped rotors are why I chose to rotate at 24,000 mile intervals instead of every oil change etc…
In my opinion tire rotations are another form of revenue for shops that are pushed on customers to generate brake, alignment, shocks/struts, tire balance work. Most of which isn’t needed. Hang around a Firestone or Goodyear store… Women are especially targeted.

I rotate tires. Especially FWD as they are doing double duty and wear twice as much up front. Tires are not cheap anymore, so I want the most bang for the buck.

I just rotate on the spring and fall tire swaps, so around a maximum of 10k miles before rotation. This keeps the tires wearing evenly enough.

Back