Are there laws regarding the sale of used tires??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tony1679
There should be strict laws on this. It would keep people like my stepfather from endangering others. He has never bought a new tire. Somehow he thinks paying $30 every month or two for a used tire (because he always gets the worst ones) is cheaper than paying $90 every 3-4 years. Every time he drives his vehicle he is a rolling accident waiting to happen.

I think used tires should not be legal for sale. There are plenty of uses for a junk tire. They can be mixed with other compounds to fix potholes or pave roads. Or even build a tire swing. For the really bad ones, there's always rubber mulch.

I've purchased used tires for years. One complete set I purchased came off a new Ford PU that had less than 500 miles on it when it was t-boned by a semi. I knew this for a fact as I watched the wheels being taken off the wrecked PU when they sold them to me.

I see no reason these tires should not have been sold to me.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
There are very stringent law,but some shop are open only seasonal .like bike week etc.in those circumstance its hard to find baddy .but there are known list of good garage online ,just stick to those and you wont have issue no mather the brand.

Wow, somebody failed English. Every post by this user is almost incomprehensible.

THAT!

Used tires are great when you get a sidewall issue that can't be fixed and you need something to replace just the one worn tire and I have even gotten a match on the size/make/model tire as well.

Ok let me clarify, I think JUNK tires should not be legal for sale.

Definition of junk: having less than 4/32", sidewall issues, more than 1 patch/plug, dry rot, or more than 4 years old.

It's junk if it meets even 1 of the above criteria, and should be recycled.

Please explain, in detail, EXACTLY why two patches make a tire unsafe. Be specific.

If you are throwing away tires because they have passed some arbitrary age, I'll take them.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Please explain, in detail, EXACTLY why two patches make a tire unsafe. Be specific.

If you are throwing away tires because they have passed some arbitrary age, I'll take them.

As far as age, that was based on my opinion. A lot of tires will dry rot past that. Not all. But the majority of people don't know the difference. Therefore it is a good guideline.

On the topic of multiple repairs, if two punctures are close together, how do you prevent overlap while insuring a good patch? I also don't need to clarify why even ONE puncture is hazardous for high speeds. Google it.

Do I need to point out that 99% of professional tire shops won't fix a tire if one repair has already been made? I wonder why...

That has not been my experience...perhaps you need better tire shops? Of course...they would MUCH rather sell you a $120 tire than a $15 patch!

Here in Texas, most of the SUV's at work get tires replaced because of dry rot not wear.

And these are all name brand tires.

100 degree heat for a few months will do that.

Ok let me clarify, I think JUNK tires should not be legal for sale.

Definition of junk: having less than 4/32", sidewall issues, more than 1 patch/plug, dry rot, or more than 4 years old.

It's junk if it meets even 1 of the above criteria, and should be recycled.

Where do you dream this stuff up at?

A tire can have more than 1 repair in it provided it's done properly, it's in a repairable area, the patches do not overlap, and the patches are NOT directly across from each other.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton

A tire can have more than 1 repair in it provided it's done properly, it's in a repairable area, the patches do not overlap, and the patches are NOT directly across from each other.

And what are the odds of a random puncture meeting ALL of your criteria?

They are not odds I want to gamble on...

And you should read my most recent post prior to this one. I didn't "dream this up."

As an expert on this subject - that is, one who could testify in court - this whole business is a technically difficult one.

On the one side, there are clearly tires being sold that are predictably unsafe. I hope I don't have to argue this point.

On the other side, there are plenty of used tires that can be used safely and without fear of failure (or at least only slightly more than with new tires). There are also people who struggle financially, that would benefit from this kind of purchase.

To my knowledge, there are NO regulations, laws, ordinances, etc. the cover the sale of used tires. The only inhibitor would be a civil law suit, which, IMHO, is both an "after-the-fact" kind of thing, and one where the guilty parties are only subject to a monetary loss (which can be partially solved by bankrupting the business).

And you should read my most recent post prior to this one. I didn't "dream this up."

Actually, the odds of that are pretty good. Note: I have seen tires that worked fine with multiple repairs. One trailer tire at work was fine with no less than four patches!

Which prior post? The one in which you make fun of the English Second Language poster from Quebec? Or the one where you erroneously claim that 99% of tire shops won't place a second patch in a tire?

Oh. The odds are pretty good in regards to meeting all of those requirements.

Last edited:

Opinions are only good when they are educated.

Working at Les Schwab Tires for two years with an average of 4 patches a day, I can say that the odds are very good.

Originally Posted By: asand1

Opinions are only good when they are educated.

Working at Les Schwab Tires for two years with an average of 4 patches a day, I can say that the odds are very good.

I'm supposed to be intimidated or impressed? I've patched tires for a total of 4 years including places that repair tires for FREE. I've probably done more. Yet my opinion is not educated. People and their assumptions...

Let me end this pointless argument. I do agree that the "guidelines" I presented would indeed waste some perfectly good tires. However, it would scrap a lot of tires that should actually be scrapped. What is the point I am trying to make? Some people do not care AT ALL about the safety of others or their own safety. Whatever is cheap, who cares if it's safe. (This has happened to a friend's relative, not to me, but...) When you lose someone you care about because one of these people had a blowout using one of these tires, you might agree with me.

HWEaton / Tony1679,

The discussion you are having over multiple repairs in tires has been one that has been debated at the Rubber Manufacturers Association committee Meetings - specifically about whether or not to issue something about them. There is no consensus on the subject - and your opposing views mirror these discussions.

Personally, I think the second repair shouldn't be done, because that doubles the risk. I think tire manufacturers would like to get rid of repairs altogether, because THEY become the target of any tire failure where the tire has a repair, not the guy who did the repair. (That guy doesn't have deep enough pockets to warrant suing him!)

On the other hand, many, many tires live their life out after a repair, so it is difficult to argue that repairs should be banned or that multiple repairs should be banned. There is no clear cut line about what failure rate is acceptable (for obvious reasons). And people can have differing opinions on the subject because of the lack of a clear cut line.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
HWEaton / Tony1679,

The discussion you are having over multiple repairs in tires has been one that has been debated at the Rubber Manufacturers Association committee Meetings - specifically about whether or not to issue something about them. There is no consensus on the subject - and your opposing views mirror these discussions.

Personally, I think the second repair shouldn't be done, because that doubles the risk. I think tire manufacturers would like to get rid of repairs altogether, because THEY become the target of any tire failure where the tire has a repair, not the guy who did the repair. (That guy doesn't have deep enough pockets to warrant suing him!)

On the other hand, many, many tires live their life out after a repair, so it is difficult to argue that repairs should be banned or that multiple repairs should be banned. There is no clear cut line about what failure rate is acceptable (for obvious reasons). And people can have differing opinions on the subject because of the lack of a clear cut line.

BINGO! This is what I was trying to say...

01.gif

I don't expect you to be impressed or intimidated. I was simply saying that most flat fixes are safe and pass your criteria. When we had unsafe flat, we would push a new or safe used tire. Not every shop is out to make a buck at the risk of the public.

Repairs are only governed by each companies internal controls, and ideally those controls would be in the publics best interest. I know we had strict rules regarding overlapping patches and sidewall repairs. However there was no real limit to the number of patches.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
HWEaton / Tony1679,

But by that logic, having another patch in any of the 4 tires doubles the risk. Also does it matter if 4 patches are in one tire or one in each tire?

Probably a little guide book on which vehicles are dangerous with a blow out and what conditions are likely going to cause a patch to fail, would help the customer decide.
85mph in Texas heat with a truck or SUV with high profile P rated tires with the door sticker below 32psi... Maybe you don't want any increased risk, a blowout is more likely and more dangerous.
If you have a small or midsize car used in 55mph rural new england, then patches aren't likely to ever be an issue.

Some of you should live here in the RV capital of the U.S. and the largest Amish settlement in Indiana.

You either pick up a sq. head screw from one of the factories or a horse shoe nail. You'd go broke buying new tires all the time, it's bad enough paying to get them fixed sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back