Are Fuel System Cleaners Harmful to the Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you use a Fuel System Cleaner such as RedLine or FP with every tank full, will this be harmful to the oil supply? My plan is to run RedLine FSC at every tank full but i was not sure if this or any other fuel cleaner are harmful to the oil and there for should not be used with each tank. I will eventually use M1 with extended drains and want to make sure the oil is safe to run with the fuel cleaner. Thanks for the help

Who gave the idea that F.S. cleaners are required for EVERY tankfull. Isn't that absurd? Isn't Redline F.S. cleaner like, $20 or something? You want to almost double your fill-up cost? Isn't every 5k adequate?

i think every tank full is over kill. lets think of it this way, if a product was reconmended every tank full then what should we say on how good it cleans?

other fuel additives that are once per 3000 miles i bet has more cleaning power than those "use every tank" additives....and plus its kinda a waste of money IMHO...id rather do the 3000 mile thing and add it 500 miles before my next oil change

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
snip... Isn't Redline F.S. cleaner like, $20 or something? You want to almost double your fill-up cost? Isn't every 5k adequate?

No. I purchase it locally for $4.75 per bottle. The bottle treats 1 - 15 gallon tank for a quick clean-up OR treats 100 gallons for long term slower cleaning. I seem to have heard about slower-is-better being used in the engine cleaning department.

Tim

thanks for the replys. the links were very informative but none of them really said that it is either good or bad to run a maintenace dose every tankful. I read about alot of people on here running cleaners such as FP and RedLine every tankful but cannot find really and infomation about the effects of this on the oil. I would eventually like to run M1 with extended intervals and also a FSC every tankful to both keep it clean and for the MPG increase. Thanks again

for 3-5 mpg increase, haha if that....fuel injector cleaner at every tank is a waste of money...imo.

overkill i say...unless ur car just cant run and u got alot of cash.

According to VWoA, thier gasoline additive can be used for "intensive" cleaning by adding 3- 8oz bottles into a tank of fuel. They recommend changing the oil once the tank has been run though, so I think the answer is "yes" if your using an additive in high concentrations. BTW- I use this additive about once a month (only 1- 8oz bottle per tank).

[ November 18, 2003, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Volkster ]

Correction on the bottle size of VW Gasoline Additive: They are 6.5oz, not 8oz. Still, only a 19.5oz dosage in a 12 gallon tank is considered to be potentially contaminating by VWoA.

This is my opinion on it. I used to believe it was better to run smaller maintenance doses with every tankful, but the thing that worries me about that is that more of it can then get into your oil, especially with a lot of cold starts in the winter, when you're going to get a higher amount of fuel into your oil. (my winter UOA from last year showed 1.0% fuel in my Firebird's oil in a 4300 mile interval)

So now I've decided to only run bigger "clean up" doses in my cars, but the plan is to add a bottle every 10,000km and try to time it whenever I'm going on a long highway trip. This way there are no cold starts on the engine, therefore less chance of any fuel getting into the oil.

My cleaner of choice is Neutra. I'll simply add one full 12oz bottle to a full tank in both of my cars. My wife's Honda has an 11.9 gallon tank, while my Firebird holds 15.5 gallons (so I'm probably better off adding one full bottle plus 4oz extra to that car)

quote:

...and try to time it whenever I'm going on a long highway trip. This way there are no cold starts on the engine, therefore less chance of any fuel getting into the oil.

That's an excellent idea, Patman. I've actually done this in the past with Chevron Techron. A single 13hr roadtrip with the Techron added on the last leg of the trip did wonders for the fuel injectors in my old Volvo.

I just put $1 worth of kerosene in my gas tank, which is about 1/3 gallon. I had planned to flush my engine with diesel fuel after this tank is consummed, but I will check the oil color first to see how dirty it gets. The oil is less than 1K miles old, so it's clear now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back