Are cars/trucks from the 80s worth buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like that Cutlass' digital gauges. I think the big reason why digital gauges didn't prove to be popular is because they tried to re-invent the user interface with "bold" (for the time) graphics and things folks weren't used to seeing (think Reatta). That Cutlass' digital gauge package is the best-executed analog for standard gauges that I've ever seen. Nicely done, Oldsmobile.

I like the Mustang as well. Or, fwd Chrysler turbo hatchbacks or NA 2.2s. My first car was a Turismo 2.2 (Charger cousin).

Im going to assume you mean American Cars.
Youve just had bad luck.

Ford F150 4.9L
Ford Taurus 3.0L
Chevy C1500 5.7L TBI
Buick Lesabre FWD 3.8L
Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler RWD Cars with 5.2L

All those have been pretty reliable through multiple models for various friends and relatives.

If 80s vehicles were neutered with emission garbage, are they at least fuel efficient? Otherwise, is it better to head straight to 70s and get something that can generate massive amount of horsepower once I have the money and know-how to upgrade. Additionally, is it generally easy to fit modern engine into cars from the 70s and 80s?

Thanks.

They are fuel efficient because they are light! They're okay in a frontal crash too; they had to survive a brick wall at 30 MPH starting in 1980. Of course up against a heavier modern car they'll lose.

Feedback fuel systems and computers were around in 1981 or so and EFI took off in the mid 80s. I'd try to avoid a computerized carburetor if the mount is odd and an aftermarket won't fit. EG anything smaller than a classic V8.

The worst neutering is on 70s cars with real low compression and lazy timing. Power started coming back in the very early 1980s when computers appeared.

You can update to modern engines or for example way better flowing modern cylinder heads on/from truck V8s.

I just picked up a 1985 F250 Ex cab 6.9 C6 Auto with 147,000 original miles. Simple, Reliable, Easy to work on, Extremely durable, Cheap parts, Fairly fuel efficient and slow as molasses.

100_1867.jpg

Originally Posted By: eljefino
They are fuel efficient because they are light! They're okay in a frontal crash too; they had to survive a brick wall at 30 MPH starting in 1980. Of course up against a heavier modern car they'll lose...

I t-boned a Dodge Diplomat in my '85 LX 5.0. (I can see the old duffer sitting there, leaned up against the steering wheel wearing his Members Only jacket in 100° weather, staring at me through Coke bottle lenses, and he entered the intersection at the same time as I did anyway) It would still drive straight. Front clip was destroyed but it would still drive straight.

Had to have an area of the chassis by the left rear control arm welded, a bolt sheared off on the driver's seat, a heater hose disintegrated, and I had to replace the waterpump. That's it. That's all that broke on that car. AOD? solid. CFI? Limited the power output but it was troublefree. I never even replaced the thick film ignition control module that so many other people seem to have problems with.

[darn]it....I want another Fox body now....

With your knowledge and repair ability, NO.

The older the car, the more attention it will need.

The only 2 cars I would consider from the 80's would be the Chevy Caprice and Ford LTD Crown Victoria..We had a couple of them and they were low maintenance trouble free cars..They also had a awesome cooling system as they never ran hot in gridlock traffic and the a/c in them would cool a 7 room house.

Originally Posted By: -Clayton-
I just picked up a 1985 F250 Ex cab 6.9 C6 Auto with 147,000 original miles. Simple, Reliable, Easy to work on, Extremely durable, Cheap parts, Fairly fuel efficient and slow as molasses.

100_1867.jpg

Nice!
thumbsup2.gif

I enjoyed owning my '80's cars. '84 Pont. Sunbird, great gas mileage. '86 Camaro Z28, solid car (hard top). And currently an '84 Camaro Z28, former show car now weekend driver. Starting to have carb issues with the '84. Would really like to have an'88-'92 TBI Camaro.

Originally Posted By: DavidZ28
I enjoyed owning my '80's cars. '84 Pont. Sunbird, great gas mileage. '86 Camaro Z28, solid car (hard top). And currently an '84 Camaro Z28, former show car now weekend driver. Starting to have carb issues with the '84. Would really like to have an'88-'92 TBI Camaro.

Why not a TPI engine instead of a TBI. That system worked far better.

Originally Posted By: oppirs
Originally Posted By: steve20
I agree with you on not following the crowd-I do what I want to do because I want to do it. My previously referenced Cutlass my wife had been trying to get rid of it for at least 5 years---no way---driving a reliable fully deoreciated car also has its benefits.

My 23 y.o. Cutlass SL bought from the dealer. Still is alive, not used much until gas skyrockets, get 23 city 31 highway. I was at the Honda dealer yesterday & the new Accord get just a hair better on the highway mpg. Geez
34.gif

As mentioned before you need to keep up maintenance on these old cars. I'm shocked when folk stop by and note this car like a classic in the parking lot, now I know it's getting rare. Must be "the cash for clunkers" taking them off the road. Even the R-12 A/C works great, just needs a boost every other year, and yes I have 18lb still left from ions ago.

With the OBD1, don't have to go for emissions anymore. But this Olds never failed them in the past and I have over 15 year of records. I too don't ever want to get rid of her. To me this was a transition years from boxy to "jelly bean" look. Got to luv that digital dash becuz it still works!! A touch of a button I'm metric.

I also had an '88 F-150 great truck & rusty, just poor gas mileage, had the 5.0 liter. What a workhorse.
cool.gif

pictureah.jpg

picture006ut.jpg

picture005mv.jpg

picture007qr.jpg

My first Olds was that body style, an '89 in silver-gray with a gray velour interior. I've always loved the "customized," no exterior door handles look of that coupe. My digital dash didn't have a tach, but otherwise looked just like yours.

My second Olds was the same body style, a '94, gold with a beige velour interior. No digital dash, but a smooth fun car.

Some of the best cars came out during the 80's. F40, BMW 6 series, AMG Hammers, Porsche 959, NSX was designed in the 80's, F1 Mclaren.

The 80's were a great time for European cars, not so good for American.

If you can find one that's been taken care of, and not all rusted out, I'd say go for it...I'm daily driving an 88 Dodge Aries 2.2L and I love it. Just needs a good paint job, and some minor body work, no dings or anything, but I noticed some rust along the bottom of one of the door jambs the other day; the vehicle was in FL for the brunt of it's life, and had very low mileage when I purchased it; but from barely being driven, and sitting for long periods of time; yes I had to replace some stuff; particularly struts, vacuum lines, and a good throttle body cleaning to date; on top of the regularly scheduled OCIs....next up is gonna be a complete fluids change....brakes, power steering, ATF, antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back