Anyone use HD 30 in summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by KJA426:
I've been using mostly Pennzoil with the occasional dose of Castrol. I noticed the last batch of Pennzoil 30 was still SL rated so I assume it has the higher levels of zinc and phosphorous.

Not necessarily. It may have been their latest SM formula sold before they were licensed to label it as such.

I used to be under the impression that SAE 30 had to be (by definition) a Group I oil. However - Pennzoil labels HD-30 as using "PureBase" (Group II) and the only viscosity requirement is that it meets 30 weight at 100°C.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:
Here's a temperature chart to compare start up temperatures of 5W-30 to SAE 30. Note that a start-up with SAE 30 at 70F is the same viscosity as 5W-30 at about 55 degrees.

I think a lot of the modern Group II based heavy duty "single weight" oils could probably be classified as multiweight. 15W-30 and 20W-30 are listed as SAE weights on the API website, but they don't have any currently licensed versions. I'd be curious to see a viscosity curve for an older Group I based SAE 30 oil and find out how much thicker one would be at colder temps.

Besides - what is a "single weight heavy duty oil" really? My impression is that by definition it means no VI improver.

Well, that's a good point, ypw.
smile.gif

The Chev/Havoline SAE 30 has a 108 VI index for the finished oil that probably reflects usage of the Chevron Grp II base oils with a VI of 105-110.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
My friend uses 30 straight weight year round. His Jeep hit 177K of hard driving before he changed the rings. He had an oil burning problem.

those results tell me that he should have used something else.

200k is fairly typical with 0 internal work on that engine

My brother's '95 Z-71 w/ 5.7 was getting regular 4-5k mile OCI's with Quaker State 30wHD at his trusted local service shop year round (South Texas where it may freeze twice a year never going below 30 degrees).

Now he's on 10-30 ValMaxLifeSyn (from my AZ $2/qt stash) and Wix filters.

He never had lubed parts fail so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back