Oil and spark plugs

I am not sure what is best to use in a 1972 Pontiac 400 witha 4bbl (Edelbrock).

5wor 10w-30, or 10w-40?

Also, the car called for a certain plug but a different one was in it, Autolite APp 145's wre in it. Was it on propose or mistake I do not know.

Not an original engine or year car, etc.

How man miles on the engine? What are the plugs that are supposed to be in it? I would run a 10W-30 or 40.

My first question would be condition.A worn pontiac could handle 20W in a warmer climate. I’d be on the GTO forum,mountains of information there.

Great questions dont know, no way to know.

seems like r45s or ap 26 are what most info state are fore that engine etc.

I will go try again to see if the r45s even fit

TYVM!

I am not sure what is best to use in a 1972 Pontiac 400 witha 4bbl (Edelbrock).

5wor 10w-30, or 10w-40?

Also, the car called for a certain plug but a different one was in it, Autolite APp 145's wre in it. Was it on propose or mistake I do not know.

Not an original engine or year car, etc.
I would use a conventional or blend 10W-30. A high mileage oil would offer a better additive package and would help those old seals.

Start with fresh 10W-30, watch the oil pressure after it's warmed up. I had a small oil pressure improvement at hot idle temperature by going to 10W-40 in an old Ford 302.

You KNOW you feel a special connection with this thread poster. LMAO
swappes unknown enginwe too?

My friend said its Frankenstein's car, the engine could have been a multiple transplant lol

yeah, might be a dealer or mfg replacement too

Block is 481988, heads 7j2., intake 481733

For a lot of the older classic vehicles a diesel 10w30 is a sure bet because it is on the heavier side and usually has a lot of zinc. Do keep an eye on oil pressure to make sure you don't need to go thicker. A 5w40 A3/B4 or diesel oil would be a good step up.

After I thought about it.More zinc content in the oil couldn’t hurt
IMG_2567.jpeg

Last edited:
I use 15W-40 diesel oil (HDEO) in my 68 GTO 400 engine. I have some old stock Rotella T4 that has the higher zinc to help keep the cam and lifters happy. GTO is only driven in warmer nice weather, so the 15W is just fine.

I agree that any 10W-30 or 10W-40 is probably just fine as well. Using an oil for flat tappet engines is smart, even though these cost a little more than the std off the shelf 10W-30/40's.

Back