1986 Ford F-250 7.5 460 100k miles. What engine oil?

J789

I have a 1986 Ford F-250 Lariat XLT with the 7.5 460 with a little over 100k miles. What oil should I be putting in it? The shop I brought it to put in 5W-30. I looked at a similar question on here and there were a few different answers such as 10W-30 or 10W-30 HM. Or even a 50/50 mix of 10W-30 + 15W-40 in the summer months if you go on a road trip.

Minnesota. Would you recommend different oils for different climates? And sometimes I’ll haul a camper.

That year of 460 could still have flat tappet lifters, I would use a oil with a high Zddp (zinc) rating for the lifters.
Viscosity wise 5w30, 5W40 year round or 10w30 in summer.
I looked at some threads and apparently Ford never put roller cams in the 460 engines so it must be a flat tappet.

Could I add 5W-30 oil that has a high Zddp rating if the oil that’s currently in it doesn’t have a high Zddp rating?

Source:

Attachments

• IMG_1739.jpeg
    IMG_1739.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 15
Could I add 5W-30 oil that has a high Zddp rating if the oil that’s currently in it doesn’t have a high Zddp rating?
You could use a Zddp additive to get more zinc into your current oil. Find out what type of 5w30 the shop used and go from there.

Reactions: wlk
I looked at some threads and apparently Ford never put roller cams in the 460 engines so it must be a flat tappet.

Source:
Your truck would have come from the factory with 10w-30 and a caveat to use 5w-30 in a cold climate (Winter in your case).

A lot has changed since 1986 and my choice would be, and is, 5w-40 Euro for year-round use. I use Quaker State for the best-bang-for buck use.

5w40 or even Mobil 1 0w40 Euro for the cold starts in Minnesota.

Your truck would have come from the factory with 10w-30 and a caveat to use 5w-30 in a cold climate (Winter in your case).

A lot has changed since 1986 and my choice would be, and is, 5w-40 Euro for year-round use. I use Quaker State for the best-bang-for buck use.

Rotella T6 5W-40 would be a good fit for that engine.

Agreed! 5w-40 HDMO, 5w-40, or 0w-40 Euro oil like mentioned above.

The valve spring pressures are not high in that motor so zinc levels are not critical.
Probably, but I'd still look a normally priced oil with higher Zddp value, or add some amount of Zddp additive. To me newer oils are not made for flat tappet lifters. Some type of Rotella oil could be a good fit for this motor.

Probably, but I'd still look a normally priced oil with higher Zddp value, or add some amount of Zddp additive. To me newer oils are not made for flat tappet lifters. Some type of Rotella oil could be a good fit for this motor.
I was already thinking the same thing... My first thought what was the ZDDP levels back in 1986 LOL. Most likely much higher than what we get in PCMO oil these days. Hence why several here are recommending an HDEO or Euro oil with higher add packs.

Last edited:
Back