Anyone here use Google Public DNS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about doing this but I am a little wary in the event that there are connection issues or a potential issue reverting to the IP addresses .

Originally Posted By: 91344George
I thought about doing this but I am a little wary in the event that there are connection issues or a potential issue reverting to the IP addresses .

Well, you can always configure multiple DNSes on your router, so if one is down, you have alternatives.

I use Google's public DNS.

It is highly unlikely that you would have issues with it. They use a highly distributed, "anycasted" network... not to mention it's Google, not a bunch of amateurs.

robert

I use opendns which is probably a similar principle.

It would be prudent to write down a couple IP addresses of "other" DNSs; I have had outages with roadrunner related to THEIR DNS which I was able to circumvent, knowing another.

Basically the test/difference is the error message you get with a wrong URL. The DNS service will try to guess what you want, with ads of course.

Run a DNS benchmark from the place you go online from (typically desktop/stationary) and see which one is the fastest from your place, or lists few fastest ones to be setup to your PC. Different location/provider may result in different list of the fastest public DNS.

Norton DNS is another option which has some security features built in. I use it here at home.

That said, I've not seen any difference in browsing speed between my ISP's DNS servers and Norton, Google, and OpenDNS.

I used google's DNS for it's speed for awhile, then switched back to verizon's ad-free (x.x.x.14) servers. There isn't an appreciable difference, and perhaps verizon's are faster. I'm using their Dallas server for my primary.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I used google's DNS for it's speed for awhile, then switched back to verizon's ad-free (x.x.x.14) servers. There isn't an appreciable difference, and perhaps verizon's are faster. I'm using their Dallas server for my primary.
I have Verizon.How do i get their numbers?

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I have Verizon.How do i get their numbers?

See what DNS IPs you've been given via DHCP by verizon by checking your modem. They give you a primary and a secondary, based on proximity to your geographical location. All you have to do is manually change the last octet to 14. So you are hitting the same locations, but talking to a secondary set of servers where a lookup failure doesn't return ads. My theory (which seems to be correct) is that since less people are hitting the x.x.x.14 addresses, the reply from the devices servicing those addresses comes faster. Pretty much the only people who go to the trouble of using the x.x.x.14 servers are going to be nerds like me, who most likely only represent a small fraction of those people using verizon internet.

Also, I understand this works for Verizon FIOS, too.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I use opendns which is probably a similar principle.
Yes
wink.gif
Since OpenDNS, seems a couple different companies are now launching their own "DNS" services
wink.gif
Comodo Firewall/Security has their own.....Norton has their own, etc.....and now Google even :p

Quote:
It would be prudent to write down a couple IP addresses of "other" DNSs; I have had outages with roadrunner related to THEIR DNS which I was able to circumvent, knowing another.
Yep, definitely recommended. OR, in your router or Windows settings, you can just add the "alternates" to the settings.....afaik, the way it works, Windows tries the first DNS, if no response in x seconds, it goes for the next, etc...

Quote:
The DNS service will try to guess what you want, with ads of course.
The thing I like about Google DNS is there is no ads.....but yes, OpenDNS has ads on their "friendly" error pages
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
How does Google's public DNS fair in the DNSBenchmark mentioned in another thread?
This is something that will vary from user to user, computer to computer....all depends on your geographic location to the DNS server, etc.....and less about the "Speed" of the server....since DNS is typically sent over UDP, the packets are very small, and are inherently "fast" out of the box :p So it's not really the "internet speed" that matters for DNS responses.....but more the distance from the DNS server....

Best bet is just to try a couple with DNSBenchmark and see how they fair.....I know DNSBenchmark gives OpenDNS some "bad marks" due to the way it treats the "NXDOMAIN" (invalid domain) requests....in that it makes a "bad domain" response look like a "live domain"......

But I like the domain filtering that OpenDNS has
wink.gif
But [censored], my new router even has in-house domain blocking :p So may go back with Google DNS.....since there are no ads with Google DNS.....but I'm sure Google is putting the domain requests data to use in some way or another :p The ads you see in search, and it's apps, etc...

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Norton DNS is another option which has some security features built in. I use it here at home.

That said, I've not seen any difference in browsing speed between my ISP's DNS servers and Norton, Google, and OpenDNS.
Same here. Can't say I've used Norton DNS....but did try Comodo DNS....seemed kinda cool, like openDNS they seem to be more "security" related....blocking known "bad" malware domains, etc...(something I'd bet Google will adapt soon, since they are supporters of stopbadware.org hehe).

But.....I do like the "control" OpenDNS gives....if a "bad domain" is blocked....you can "white list" the domain in your account profile......unlike the Comodo DNS....

Well, it varies based on model. I hate to say it, but it might be best to read the manual and see. They're all quite different, depending on manufacturer and ROM.

I tell you what: if it's the router that you got from Verizon, just call them up and ask them. It's free. 1-800-Verizon.

I tell you what: if it's the router that you got from Verizon,
I use a modem,no router.

Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Local Area Connection -> Right-click -> Properties -> TCP/IP v4 (select, don't un-check!) -> Properties button -> DNS -> Set the servers. "OK" your way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back