Initial review - Ubiquiti UDM SE

The contract gigs wouldn't be so bad if they weren't "deal with the mess the previous contractor made", but that's how they always seem to end up.

Gonna have to do something at some point.
Yeah, that would get very tiresome.

If you are interested in moving into healthcare, let me know, I have some US contacts and I think a few of them may be down your way.

Yeah, Cisco has that as well on anything newer, even switches, but the GUI just ultimately makes CLI entries (and they are often far messier than just doing it by hand). Cisco's ASDM was also that way, it was software, that just fed the CLI, lol.

In RouterOS, I use both the GUI and the CLI when I'm trying something new. The GUI is a quick way to see what the options are, then set them via the CLI.

Yeah, that would get very tiresome.

Especially when the customer doesn't care about fixing it, they just want to band-aid it. Even if the band-aid involves going into the DB and issuing SQL commands on a daily basis to correct application errors. Yes, I do that.

If you are interested in moving into healthcare, let me know, I have some US contacts and I think a few of them may be down your way.

I'll give it some thought.

There's an x86 version of RouterOS if you want to see it. I once stuck it on a thin client to make an SSH serial port server.

I feel like Mikrotik/RouterOS never really caught on in the prosumer/small business space just because it's not as beginner friendly. Is it better? Yeah, it is, but it's "ugly" and "complicated" while literally anybody who can read can set up Ubiquiti stuff and it looks shiny and pretty and thus it's much easier for small "IT" companies to sell it to their customers. Oh, look how nice this software and hardware is, woohoo.

If I was doing a home network or small business network and I wanted something better than what a typical consumer grade router would provide MikroTik would be my first choice. 5 years ago I would have told you Ubiquiti was my first choice but I'm just so over their BS.

I feel like Mikrotik/RouterOS never really caught on in the prosumer/small business space just because it's not as beginner friendly. Is it better? Yeah, it is, but it's "ugly" and "complicated" while literally anybody who can read can set up Ubiquiti stuff and it looks shiny and pretty and thus it's much easier for small "IT" companies to sell it to their customers. Oh, look how nice this software and hardware is, woohoo.

I think pfsense has the same issue. Worth noting that the company which has taken almost a year to get the Ubiquiti firewall to do everything the pfsense firewall was doing WAS supplied with the human-readable XML configuration file. They either didn't bother to look at it or their skills are so lacking that it made no sense to them.

If I was doing a home network or small business network and I wanted something better than what a typical consumer grade router would provide MikroTik would be my first choice. 5 years ago I would have told you Ubiquiti was my first choice but I'm just so over their BS.

I've been using a Mikrotik HEX 5-port gigabit router for probably 5 years now. It's still working, it's had an uptime over a year, and I recently rebooted it for a firmware upgrade (yes, they still offer upgraded firmware).

Also recently put a 256GB microsd card in it so I can use it as a low power file server (it supports FTP, SFTP, and SMB). I have a Brother multifunction machine that supports scan-to-ftp and I'm going to set it up to use the Mikrotik as it's FTP server.

The performance of this device as a file/FTP server won't break any records...but it doesn't need to.

I think pfsense has the same issue. Worth noting that the company which has taken almost a year to get the Ubiquiti firewall to do everything the pfsense firewall was doing WAS supplied with the human-readable XML configuration file. They either didn't bother to look at it or their skills are so lacking that it made no sense to them.

I've been using a Mikrotik HEX 5-port gigabit router for probably 5 years now. It's still working, it's had an uptime over a year, and I recently rebooted it for a firmware upgrade (yes, they still offer upgraded firmware).

Also recently put a 256GB microsd card in it so I can use it as a low power file server (it supports FTP, SFTP, and SMB). I have a Brother multifunction machine that supports scan-to-ftp and I'm going to set it up to use the Mikrotik as it's FTP server.

The performance of this device as a file/FTP server won't break any records...but it doesn't need to.

opnSense is nice too, a bit better interface than pfSense. Ran it on a Dell desktop with an extra NIC shoved in it for a while at my old place. Way overkill but I have plenty of spare computers LOL.

And they probably didn't understand pfSense. If they did, they would be smart enough not to be deploying Ubiquiti ;)

opnSense is nice too, a bit better interface than pfSense. Ran it on a Dell desktop with an extra NIC shoved in it for a while at my old place. Way overkill but I have plenty of spare computers LOL.

Never tried opnSense. I've used pfsense in a VM under VMWare.

I stopped using desktops as firewalls due to the power consumption. Got the Mikrotik for that.

And they probably didn't understand pfSense. If they did, they would be smart enough not to be deploying Ubiquiti ;)

I suspect that this company fed them a line of bull about how pfsense is insecure or something. "Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt" sells, and if you have no skills, it's all you have to offer.

It's too bad that this company won't be on-site again. I'd wear my "I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter" T-shirt to that meeting.

You ever play around with Smoothwall or IPCop back in the day? There have been so many firewall distros over the years using either Linux or BSD, PFSense has definitely been the most successful of the free offerings. I played around with Sophos XG a few years ago, as far as Linux firewall distros go, it's decent, particularly if you put it on some OK hardware, but if you buy their hardware, it's, well... not. Also, their access points are hot garbage, Aruba kicks their teeth in at the same or lower price point.

Updating this, since it has been several months. Still quite happy with the performance of the unit, it has rebooted once for an OS upgrade, which was seamless because it was at like 3AM. I have a new test coming up for it, since I've upgraded my internet from the 360/30 cable to 1.5Gbit/940Mbit fibre, which gets installed on Tuesday.

Updating this, since it has been several months. Still quite happy with the performance of the unit, it has rebooted once for an OS upgrade, which was seamless because it was at like 3AM. I have a new test coming up for it, since I've upgraded my internet from the 360/30 cable to 1.5Gbit/940Mbit fibre, which gets installed on Tuesday.
You can now order a 2nd UDM Pro SE and put it next to the first one and set it up as a failover router. You have to move cables but it knows all about the network.

I did not think the low POE wattage it provides was worth the extra cost. I got a UDM Pro.

Unifi had a sale on the UDM Pro around Christmas for $272. I bought two. I need one to replace a USG Pro. Not sure about the other one.

We have a Vonage VOIP phone at home using cordless phone with 3 total handsets. I much prefer using one of the cordless handsets to make or receive a phone call vs a cell phone. It provides a better voice quality and no dead zones walking around the house. The Unifi UDM Pro supports Unifi Talk which supports a VOIP phone for $10/month. Less than half of what I pay for Vonage.

UDM SE also has a 2.5gbe wan port.
the POE is 2x POE+ and 6x poe.

I would pay 100-150 for those features and to not need any poe injectors..
but yeah that sale was great.. on the udm pro (what I have). and you can always use the 10gbit sfp+ ports for faster wan/lan connections.

You can now order a 2nd UDM Pro SE and put it next to the first one and set it up as a failover router. You have to move cables but it knows all about the network.

I did not think the low POE wattage it provides was worth the extra cost. I got a UDM Pro.

Unifi had a sale on the UDM Pro around Christmas for $272. I bought two. I need one to replace a USG Pro. Not sure about the other one.
The 2.5Gbit WAN port came in handy when I signed up for 1.5Gbit fibre through Bell.

The cold spare feature is nice, for business use. I have enough spare junk here that I don't need one at the house.
We have a Vonage VOIP phone at home using cordless phone with 3 total handsets. I much prefer using one of the cordless handsets to make or receive a phone call vs a cell phone. It provides a better voice quality and no dead zones walking around the house. The Unifi UDM Pro supports Unifi Talk which supports a VOIP phone for $10/month. Less than half of what I pay for Vonage.
The 'ol land line! I haven't had one in about 15 years at this point.

IIRC the unifi phone service is sorta ....warm garbage... compared to commercial solutions.
I was interested in the built in NVR if you use their cameras though.

IIRC the unifi phone service is sorta ....warm garbage... compared to commercial solutions.
I was interested in the built in NVR if you use their cameras though.
The Unifi NVR that is on its own supports 4 hard drive with RAID capability. The Unifi UDM Pro only supports 1. I have some of the Unifi 2 and one Unifi 3 cameras and the nighttime vision especially of the Unifi 3 is pretty impressive.

Ordered 2 of the new Unifi Pro 7 access points that support WIFI 7 and were announced at CES.

Interesting thread. There is a new Unifi small gateway option now that runs $129. Thinking about one to replace my USG-3P. I don't really want one of the big ones like the UDM because of the available footprint in the wiring panel.

As for other vendors:
Cisco - I have tried to replace them whereever I have gone throughout my career. They are very skilled at separating money from their customers' wallets and they don't always have best of breed solutions, contrary to popular opinion. If you're not concerned about the cost though, they are a solid choice with a large community of skilled practitioners out there.

Mikrotik, tried and didn't love it, but would consider again due to the price. Had to mess with MTUs at times to get units working properly, never had to set them with any other equipment other than setting up iSCSI

Fortinet - Really love their big firewalls. Replaced a Palo 5060 HA with Fortigate 1801s, excellent experience. Palo is another company that has gotten too dear with their prices. As for the comments about the power suppiles and so forth, I haven't tried their larger switches.

Sonicwall - never tried, probably won't.

PFSense - I recommend to anyone who doesn't want to pay big money for commerical support. Extremely well developed documentation.

Back