anyone here own a Kimber 1911?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to have a Kimber ProCarry 1911 w/ stainless slide and alum frame. Long story how I got it and why I don't have it now.

Anyways, who has a Kimber .45?

I want to get a new one again. Maybe this X-mas...

I do know Kimber was contracted out by the USMC for there MEU SOC units. They have a civilian version which is very similar but not exact.

It looks like a great duty sidearm. A military branch selecting to return to the .45 also is very impressive.

Take everything I say witha huge grain of salt since there are tons of super duper experianced shooters here.

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_Kimber1911,,00.html

I have a Kimber Pro CDPII (4" 1911). It's a safe queen. Good looking gun, purdy as can be... but I carry a Glock.

When reliability is an issue (i.e. duty weapon) I trust my life to a Glock. G21 or G37 if you are curious. Pull the trigger and it goes bang.

I've shot a ProCarry. It was very, very nice, but I wouldn't carry it for that very reason.

I carry a Glock 19. It ain't pretty, but it's the F-150 of sidearms. When it gets dirty, I wash it in soap & water, dry it off, apply a light lube & it's ugly as new.

My good friend owns a gun shop lots of people like Kimbers ,they sell out quick. I shot a Glock 19 when they first came out and they are really nice.

pro carry- custom at the time. Went down to the manuf. plant in yonkers to check them out when buying, and get what I wanted.
It's all stainless, frame and slide, slide is coated black. At the time I was buying it they only came with a black aluminum frame and a stainless (shiny) slide. I wanted it the other way around so I had to do a custom build. So I was able to ask what was available, why and why not for certain accessories, and ended up going with lo-profile night sites, fine grip checkering on the front and coarse checkering on the rear of the grip. Came with rosewood grips, looks pretty with them but I like the black rubber grips for comfort. Also had the option of doing a personal serial # but I passed. I sometimes say I was the first one to have a kimber 1911 built this way, at the time they weren't available this way with a black top and stainless colored frame unless you did a custom build and the guys at the kimber shop they'd never done one this way. Shortly after I got mine, they started looking this way in gun stores. Have somewhere around 4k rounds through it. Handles well in the left hand too
grin.gif

-

-

-

-

-

I almost bought a tactical custom II this past weekend... we bought a new M9 instead, as both of us could shoot it better, and they have 22 conversion kits readily available. I will likely buy one in a month or so when I can save up again... I like the tactical custon the best, as its a package that I find really neat (I dont carry and refuse to have any ammo in my home with my guns). I just worry about the life of an alloy frame 1911.

JMH

This may be of note. I did read something on the 1911 online forum about Kimber.

Allegedly they are now using some kind of problem extractor ... on poster theorized it was to satisfy the lawyers against antigun suits. They said this extractor differs heavily from the trusty design of the govt models. Sorry, can not explain any more, as I do not even know what an extractor is
frown.gif

If this case is true I will look into Wilson more.

I can answer most questions you may have about Kimbers and/or most other semi auto handguns.

An extractor pulls the empty or fired brass out of the chamber.

Kimber used an external extractor instead of the tried and true internal extractor design for a short time. Kimber has now returned to the internal extractor design.

I'm with Doug C. I would go with the Glock. Never had a Glock jam. Have owned alot of other makes and all jammed a one point or another. Funny thing is with fixed sights on a Glock I shot crappy but, put an adjustable set of rear sights on it and I put the rounds in the X ring everytime.

Just bought a kimber tactical Custom II yesterday... Though the frame is alloy, I wont ever shoot it enough to wear out the frame vs. steel, and supposedly kimber alloy frames are amongst the best out there, so they dont fatigue and break as easily as other alloy frame guns.

Its a really neat gun, thats why we got this one... its pretty light, not something important to me really, but it makes it nice in some ways even for the weekend plinker.

-

Features: Exclusive gray anodized aluminum frames dramatically reduce weight without compromising performance or durability.
All Tactical pistols feature Meprolight Tritium 3-dot night sights, ambidextrous safety and premium aluminum trigger.
Tactical pistols have 30 lines-per-inch checkering or the front strap and under the trigger guard with extended magazine well for enhanced grip and control.

Specifications: Height (inches) 90° to barrel: 5.5
Weight (ounces) with empty magazine: 31
Length (inches): 8.7
Magazine capacity: 7
Ambidextrous thumb safety
Recoil spring (pounds): 16

Frame: Material: Aluminum
Finish: Gray anodized
Width (inches): 1.28
Frontstrap checkering (30 LPI)
Checkering under trigger guard (30 LPI)

Slide: Material: Steel
Finish: Matte black oxide
Front serrations

Barrel: Steel match grade
Length (inches): 5
Stainless steel match grade bushing
Twist rate (left hand): 16

Sights: Meprolight Tritium 3-dot night, fixed
Radius (inches): 6.8

Grips: Black and silver laminated, logo
Trigger: Premium aluminum match grade
Factory setting (approx. pounds): 4-5

JMH

JHRZ2,

That is one beautiful gun! I almost bought me a cheapo ($300) High-Standard 1911 today at the gun show.
I'm going to eventually buy me one from Springfield, Smith & Wesson or maybe the up-coming Taurus 1911. I'm trying to stay in the $450 or less price range though.
Any suggestions?

[ May 08, 2006, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

Ive heard some good things about the springfield, and S&W is one of my usual favorites... S&W I believe gives a lifetime warranty on their guns... but youll be up in price with them.

I'd probably try to stretch your bucks a few extra and buy a basic kimber. Seems that theyre made to a little bit better standard, and the barrels are a bit higher quality.

JMH

I bought a Kimber and I regret doing it, sold it. I don't have many guns, just need one pistol. The Kimber was HUGE and jammed on me a few times. Plus, the 1911 style with no double action just didn't give me comfort. I bought it on a whim with no thought. Now I have a Glock 19. But if you want a sweet 1911 style gone, Kimber's a well known company.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
The Kimber was HUGE and jammed on me a few times. Plus, the 1911 style with no double action just didn't give me comfort.

I didnt find the kimber to be that huge... though apearances sometimes change. When i first shot the beretta 92FS, I disliked it because I felt it was too bulky. Since then, Ive bought an M9 and really like it.

Anyway, to each their own... Im curious about why the 1911 with no double action doesnt give you 'comfort'. Im just a range shooter who likes to play with guns on the weekend
patriot.gif
I think I might be missing something.

Thanks!

JMH

Well, I have my gun there "in case" and like knowing all I have to do is point and pull the trigger. Really, I got the Glock to have as more of a defense weapon and it's essentially "cocked and locked" all the time (when chambered).

I wasn't trying to dog on Kimber, they are a fine gun but not for me currently. If I had a collection with many guns (like it sounds you do JHZR2), then I'd likely buy another one.

I must be a dinosaur, but I really prefer Colt products...my Combat Commander with a matte blue slide and matt nickel receiver is a great size for me and it points well. Ugly old gun but it is loose enough to be really reliable. To be fair, Colt QC is iffy, bought a brand-new new-rollmark 1991 model with beautiful gloss blue finish and rosewood grips in 2004, the fit between the slide and receiver was atrocious...hated that piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back