Anyone ever split a tractor

Awesome. Glad you got ‘er done, at least the taking apart part. Are the parts available or do you have to do some fabricating and welding?

I have to do some steering clutch and steering brake repairs to my old Allis Chalmers HD6G tracked machine, been putting it off for too long.

Awesome. Glad you got ‘er done, at least the taking apart part. Are the parts available or do you have to do some fabricating and welding?

I have to do some steering clutch and steering brake repairs to my old Allis Chalmers HD6G tracked machine, been putting it off for too long.
Dunno yet. Today I will start calling around for parts

Yesterday'sTractor might be a decent place to look.
Just ordered the parts. I found this place yesterday. Left a msg since they were closed on Sunday. I called this morning and they already had the parts boxed up and were waiting for a payment and address.

I didn't see a reason to keep shopping around so I ordered them.

I split my New Holland TC45 a few years ago. Not too bad. As you can see, I used an engine hoist to support the engine/front-half from the top and the wheels allowed me to roll it away from the back half. The back half was supported by a jack stand.

I put in an aftermarket clutch and after putting it back together, realized it needed to be shimmed (unlike the OE). So, I got to split the tractor twice! Four years later and no problems. So, success!

Good luck putting yours back together and back in service, @Chris142! Well done.
1713623639601.jpg

I had major failure on my old Case tractor today. The foot clutch( yes just like a car) needed to be adjusted. I followed the instructions on the book but when I moved the adjusting parts something must have fallen off inside the bell housing.

The clutch is now always engaged so I can't use it. Wife said to make it yard art. Something I can't do with it since I was using it , just needed a clutch adjustment that should have taken 5 minutes.

A friend came over with a boroscope camera but we can' t see whats wrong clearly enough. There are no inspection covers to take off to see inside the bell housing.

Having to split it seems like a huge undertaking to me at the moment. Not looking forward to this at all.

Any tips?
Can you bump start it to see if whatever is jammed will come free?

A friend helped me split my MF 51 hp tractor back in 2005 to rebuild the clutch. That part was pretty easy. Getting it back together required the paid help of another friend who really knew farm equipment. What he charged me was worth it since he made the job seem easy. Floor jacks help a LOT.

Took all morning to get the fork installed. Had to modify a few wrenches to get to the 2 flats on the pin behind the fork. Seriously took about 6 hrs but im not about to pull the front of the transmission apart to do it.

I currantly have it 3/4 inch from being together but something is preventing it from going all the way and I dont want to force it so I took a lunch break.

IMG_20240420_094526792.jpg

IMG_20240420_094539479.jpg

IMG_20240420_094552676.jpg

Stuck / not lined up on the splines ?
I got it screwed together. You have to line up the clutch input shaft splines AND the Hydraulic pump splines. Pretty frustrating by your self.

Now I am looking for an exhaust flange gasket. Something a good auto parts store would have but since all we have is box stores nobody has anything

I got it screwed together. You have to line up the clutch input shaft splines AND the Hydraulic pump splines. Pretty frustrating by your self.

Now I am looking for an exhaust flange gasket. Something a good auto parts store would have but since all we have is box stores nobody has anything
This is where I go find the walker parts catalog and find the exhaust gasket by size then search by part number online. Believe it or not Amazon often has them if you have the walker number.

I had major failure on my old Case tractor today. The foot clutch( yes just like a car) needed to be adjusted. I followed the instructions on the book but when I moved the adjusting parts something must have fallen off inside the bell housing.

The clutch is now always engaged so I can't use it. Wife said to make it yard art. Something I can't do with it since I was using it , just needed a clutch adjustment that should have taken 5 minutes.

A friend came over with a boroscope camera but we can' t see whats wrong clearly enough. There are no inspection covers to take off to see inside the bell housing.

Having to split it seems like a huge undertaking to me at the moment. Not looking forward to this at all.

Any tips?
I have several times, with splitting stands on concrete floor. Once had to do it in disked field, very difficult to move tractor to separate halves.

I have several times, with splitting stands on concrete floor. Once had to do it in disked field, very difficult to move tractor to separate halves.
When I was maybe 16 Dad threw a track on our little dozer in about 1 foot of water. Guess who got to put that one back on?

Back