Anyone else considering hoarding manuals?

There’s a first generation Scion xB for sale locally for not a lot of money. I’ve been looking for a spare vehicle with an auto but there’s a small voice in the back of my head telling me to buy another cheap manual just because they won’t be around much longer. The larger voice in the front of my head thinks I’m an idiot for even considering paying insurance and property tax on a vehicle I will hardly ever drive.

No, but I’ve got a Ford manual for a 5r55e that I can’t seem to bring myself to put in the dumpster. I don’t have a vehicle with that trans just seems a waste to toss it. So if anyone wants to start collecting I can donate that to the cause!

Different manuals 🤣

If I had the money, I would. But to be serious, if it really came to that, I would do a tremec swap into a v8 ford. That would satisfy my need for rowing my own gears. I don’t see tremec ending manual transmission manufacturing anytime soon.

I've got two sitting in my garage right now. 2001 Cobra and 2006 Mustang GT.

Sad to see new cars with manual transmissions days are numbered.

There’s a first generation Scion xB for sale locally for not a lot of money. I’ve been looking for a spare vehicle with an auto but there’s a small voice in the back of my head telling me to buy another cheap manual just because they won’t be around much longer. The larger voice in the front of my head thinks I’m an idiot for even considering paying insurance and property tax on a vehicle I will hardly ever drive.
I'd really like to pick up a a few manual vehicles as yes in 10 years I'd be shocked if there is a single vehicle for sale with a manual transmission. Manual transmission sales actually went up over the last couple of years, back up to 2% from .9% in 2019.

It’d be nice, but no place to store. I’d wind up spending more on storage costs than on the vehicle.

I have two manual transmission vehicles currently. I do not want vehicles having around that I don't drive though. I already have my truck which sees very little use already. My wife wants to get a bigger vehicle at some point and I want to take her car. That would leave my car just sitting there and it's a manual. I think I would just sell it. It would be in the way and a sitting car just rots while sitting.

I would love to, but my wife can’t drive a manual, though I have tried to teach her.

My YJ is a manual, but once it’s gone, I doubt I’ll have another one. We’ve decided the “toy car” is an unexcesary expense. I’ll be buying what I want and daily driving it from here on out, which means the vehicle will need to be an automatic.

The few percentage of C7 Corvettes made with manuals are hoardable by a very few people who like to spend $2000 replacing the clutch. The manual transmissions on the Corvettes with a professional driver on a dragstrip are actually slower than the automatics.

The decline of manual transmissions simply continues to bolster the anti-theft effectiveness of manuals. I will continue to drive a manual as long as possible. If that means keeping an old car alive or beginning a long and arduous manual swap, then that, I will do.

Says the man with four cars in his signature.
Two fit into my garage easily, the other 2 sit outside. One is slowly turning green in the door jambs from crud buildup--I need to clean that, but I don't like the car very much--and the other three get daily driven. [There are days when all 4 are on the road.] None are in the way of each other. I add one more and now I'm playing musical cars in my driveway--or parking cars under trees that will drop sap, leaves, twigs onto the cars. And parked on grass.

Only way to "fix" my problems is to add a 5 car garage--don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one. :) But the cost to build one, then the increase in property tax, isn't free. Building a $25k garage increases property value by that much, which then is a nice $300 bump in taxes--more if the town places a higher value on the improvement--$300 every year, just for the garage. Plus whatever extra for ins&reg per vehicle.

[Interesting--I thought my tax rate was higher, but somehow it dropped? I thought it was more like $500. That said, if I lived elsewhere in NH, it could easily be that and then some.]

Back