Anyone done extended OCI on PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've finally switched from M-1 to PP because some of the good experience other people has from using this oil. I'm planning to run an extended OCI on this oil and see if anyone has gone past 5,000mi or even past 7,000 mi OCI's using this oil.

I think PP is good for at least 10k-12k miles on average from what I've seen. It all depends though on the engine/conditions but definitely run a UOA. PP has proven to be a decent extended drain oil. Amsoil is still the best beyond 15k miles IMO.

PP suffers from being too low in cost. Nobody feels motivated to get any more out of it when it can be had for about the same as dino if you buy at the right time.

IIRC, the last UOA I posted was from our integra, where we went 7900 miles on it.

JMH

Originally Posted By: buster
I think PP is good for at least 10k-12k miles on average from what I've seen. It all depends though on the engine/conditions but definitely run a UOA. PP has proven to be a decent extended drain oil. Amsoil is still the best beyond 15k miles IMO.

Is that 12k even if it's being used for longer then 1 year?

I have not done a UOA but I ran it in my 4.0 Explorer for 8,000 miles. It is now in my Sable 3.0 with 8,345 miles on it. I am going to change it but it is not really that dirty. Not that that means a whole lot.The UAOs I have read on PP have all been pretty impressive.

I have been running 5000 OCI's with PP in 3 different vehicles (Honda, Toyota, GMC) and it runs perfectly. Since I am a 3000 OCI convert, I feel like I'm living dangerously because my GMC OLM gets to about 15% at 5000. But no problems at all with PP to 5000.

Originally Posted By: PT1
I have been running 5000 OCI's with PP in 3 different vehicles (Honda, Toyota, GMC) and it runs perfectly. Since I am a 3000 OCI convert, I feel like I'm living dangerously because my GMC OLM gets to about 15% at 5000. But no problems at all with PP to 5000.

Since your OLM is calibrated for ordinary dino motor oil, why do you think yhou are living dangerously running a synthetic motor oil this long? Any ordinary dino has been able to do this for many years. Before I retired, I, for 25 years, ran M1 in my daily drivers, driven 18,000 to 20,000 miles a year, with a yearly oil change. Now that I am now retired, I have gone back to using dino, any brand, because I only drive about 6000 miles a year now, and can't see wasting synthetic on such a short OCI.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick

Since your OLM is calibrated for ordinary dino motor oil, why do you think yhou are living dangerously running a synthetic motor oil this long? Any ordinary dino has been able to do this for many years. Before I retired, I, for 25 years, ran M1 in my daily drivers, driven 18,000 to 20,000 miles a year, with a yearly oil change. Now that I am now retired, I have gone back to using dino, any brand, because I only drive about 6000 miles a year now, and can't see wasting synthetic on such a short OCI.

Yes, you are probably right but I am a highly anal rententive overly compulsive detail oriented high math type and need to check my OLM every 45 seconds while driving. Once my OLM drops below 50% I break out in a cold sweat and begin to plan my next oil change. I would explain further but I have to go wash my hands.

Well thanks for the replys, it looks like it can be run past 7K, but since I never ran extended OCI's before, I'll be performing UOA's on this oil at 3K, 5K, 7K or even 10K using an extracter though the dipstick hole.

[/quote]

Yes, you are probably right but I am a highly anal rententive overly compulsive detail oriented high math type and need to check my OLM every 45 seconds while driving. Once my OLM drops below 50% I break out in a cold sweat and begin to plan my next oil change. I would explain further but I have to go wash my hands.

There are meds you can take for your OCD. seriously

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Any for EAED (Excessively Anal Expulsive Disorder)??

I think you may need to see a gastroenterologist for that one
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

There are meds you can take for your OCD. seriously [/quote]

Yeah, I know but mixing 5w30 & 10w30 seems to help for now.

A 5K interval with PP should be no problem even if the entrie 5K interval is continuous stop and go heavy traffic commuting.

I like Santo's UOA. It appears 7,500 miles isn't a big deal. At 10k I'd think it would really depend on what kind of driving you're doing. Too bad TBN testing wasn't done.

Yeah, but that's a Honda. They have mystic powers endowed upon them from pre-feudal Japanese monks. The rest of the rolling population has to cringe in fear of breaking out of the 3k/3m prison. The brave endure the heartbreak of 5k ..and only fools would EVER consider doing the manufacturer's recommended OCI unless they bought liquid gold that was endorsed by the AMA/ABA/NASA/The Pontiff ..and underwritten by Loyds of London.

So, Chris ...big deal
21.gif

grin2.gif

I've got PP 10w30 in my '00 VW GTI 1.8T right now. It's only got a couple thousand miles on it, but I may send it in for a UOA at around 7500 miles, just for kicks. If so, I'll be sure to post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back